.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, November 19, 2007

A Thanksgiving To Remember

The boys and I were remembering a thanksgiving we had with my dad a few years ago. Well, he passed away nearly 5 years ago, so it's been awhile, but it's one that we all remember vividly.

We had taken my dad out for Thanksgiving one year while visiting him in Indiana. He was in assisted living at the time. We took him to Cracker Barrel, and for Thanksgiving they had tables connected to other tables in an old fashioned family style dining. It was like sitting at extremely long picnic tables. This put my dad sitting in the midst of strangers, and at this time in his life, that wasn't good for anyone. Especially the strangers.

My dad had become extremely hard of hearing, which meant that not only did you have to yell to talk to him, but he yelled whenever he talked...and you just never knew what my dad would say. Actually, you were always a little afraid of what he might say. Something typical would be 'look at that man, my God, he's a big one'. That sort of thing, and it was never out of earshot of whom he was talking about. His eating habits were enough to make you lose your appetite. Unfortunately, this wasn't something that happened with old age, it was pretty much a constant for as long as I can remember. Hearing my mom say 'Forrest, wipe your mouth' was also a constant for as long as I can remember. After my mom died, for some reason, my dad took up chewing. Nastiest habit on the face of the earth, (okay, I can think of a few that may actually be nastier, but I don't let my mind go there). Sad thing is, he wasn't able to keep his 'chew' in his mouth either, so it was often hanging out of his mouth or off of his lip. So...imagine the blessing we were for the strangers who were seated around us this Thanksgiving.

However, this particular Thanksgiving my dad managed to pull a new surprise on all of us. Apparently he got something he was eating stuck in his teeth. This happens to everyone now and then, but my dad put a new spin on it. He took his teeth out at the table. In the middle of complete strangers, in the middle of a meal while everyone was still eating, he took his teeth out of his mouth, worked whatever it was that had lodged itself in his 'falsies' free, washed them off in his glass of water and then put them back into his mouth. Yes, yes he did. Everyone around us, including us, sat and stared at him as he did this while completely oblivious to anyone else at the table. One of the boys, can't remember which one, gasped "POP", but my dad, without a clue of having done anything wrong, just went back to his meal.

I suppose everyone has their little Thanksgiving stories to remember. Right?

20 Comments:

Blogger Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Wow, don't know what to say about that one! I was thinking this would be one of those tender, Thanksgiving memories - nope, not here! Go somewhere else & look for that~

You did give me a chuckle though, thanks, and have a wonderful holiday:)

10:13 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

shannon ~ Lol, sorry hon. This is one that the boys and I talked about recently, so just thought I'd share. :) Yup, good times.

Hope your Thanksgiving is blessed, Shannon.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

LOL Ah memories.

Our family took care of an old, lonely lady who was completely blind and nearly deaf for years. We invited her to eat with us one year and she had a huge boil the size of a small rubber ball on her neck. She started talking about it draining in graphic detail, and my uncle disappeared from the table. He felt so sick he had to lie down on the couch. She also belched and said we were lucky it didn't come out the other end. We loved her so much. She died years ago but we still talk about that story. :)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow, that was quite a story!! I was trying to imagine the faces of everyone who witnessed his bad table manners, and I have to say I'm laughing out loud just thinking about it.

I definitely understand why this was a Thanksgiving to remember. :)

5:22 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

nancy ~ ewwwwwww, ewwwwwwww and EWWWWWWWWW

michelle ~ it was like a car wreck where you are completely grossed out by what you see but can't look away. I was telling my sister today about what I'd posted and we had a good laugh remembering these types of 'endearing' behavior of my dads.

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Your pop is a character. Older people feel that they can just do things. They seem to forget their manners.

11:33 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

epsilonicus ~ not much truer than that, babe.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Nice story. I imagine if I were comfortable with taking my teeth out, perhaps I would forget at the table. Even full of strangers.

7:00 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

leesa ~ thanks. I honestly doubt you'd do that, regardless of how comfy you were. I'm comfortable with shaving my legs, brushing my teeth, wiping my butt even...but wouldn't do any of those in a room full of strangers at meal time. But hey, that's just me...and I am shy, after all.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I love it when your stories start out seeming to be 'tender and sentimental', and then BAMMMMMM------you pull the funny files on us!

This isn't a Thanksgiving story, but one night, as my girlfriend and I were going to this new steakhouse down the road, we were talking to my father before leaving, and he says as he takes out his dentures, "Here! Take this! It really cuts through the meat!"

My girlfriend nearly fainted and I had a lot of explaining to do---regarding my dysfunctional family.

*sigh*

It was hard bringing home friends when I was younger...or even at my age now! ha! ;)

Happy thanksgiving if I don't hear from you sweetie! xxoo

10:53 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ I think we've honestly got to be related, besides in the spiritual sense. Way too much a like and in common. Hope you have a great holiday too, love you!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hehe, we probably are! Damn yankees! I responded to your comment over to my blog. It struck a chord about what you said. Thanks Kath!!!!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

Funny how the crazy folks in the family are remembered most. My husband has many stories about his Uncle Charlie. They never bore me!

Thanks for sharing the memories. I especially like that he rinsed his false teeth. ;)

Enjoy the holiday!

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is absolutely priceless.

Thank you for sharing :)

10:15 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ read it, good stuff. Damn yankees...lol, shame on you, we're good people!

rosemarie ~ I'm thankful, though, for all of the memories. Have a great thanksgiving!

wes ~ funny stuff. We both talked about our dads, huh? Apparently our dads were nothing alike. :) I absolutely loved your post, one of your best ever.

7:35 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Happy turkey day if I don't get to talk with you sooner!

You cooking?

10:36 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

oh man
oh man
oh man

like wow

um
yeah
words fail me

um... go pops?

11:37 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

LOL Kathi, what a hoot your dad was. I guess senior citizens deserve to do what they want (now and then) and get away with it.

Ahhh...there's much worse things, trust me!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the boys!

11:37 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ yup, I am cooking. Bet you'll be able to see the smoke from there. :)

sass ~ girl, you made me smile seeing you here. Thanks for that!

dabich ~ where have you been? I need you, shouldn't leave me for so long unattended!

8:00 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

I am sorry, i won't do it again. ::sniff, sniff:: Congrats on the job...now...details!!!!!

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home