.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, November 05, 2007

I Can't Make This Stuff Up

During my first week of working at the shop, I was working in the shoe department and heard a man asking me if we carried this cute little pump (a woman's shoe with a short heel) with a large bow in a size 11. I told him that everything we had was out and as I started to continue with what I was doing, I noticed the pumps he was wearing, a similar pump, also with a large bow. Good chance in a size 11.

Today he came back in while I was working. He was dressed in black dress Capri's (women's slacks where the length ends somewhere between the knee and mid calf), a silk lavender blouse and black 3 inch heeled sandals. He had his toe and finger nails painted a gorgeous lavender that matched his blouse, and he carried a black purse under one arm. He was returning a watch that he said didn't keep the correct time and wanted to exchange it, but we didn't have another one like it, so he decided to just exchange it in a purchase of other pieces. He shopped for a while, carefully examining every thing he picked up. After awhile, he asked to try on a couple of skirts, a pair of slacks and two blouses. My manager made sure there weren't any women in the dressing room and opened a door for him. She and I were both near the dressing room, behind the counter when he came out in a pair of black striped slacks and asked me "Do you think they fit me like they should here" with his hand targeting his crotch area as if he were Vanna White.

Okay, I'm rarely at a loss for words, and I wasn't at a loss for them at this time either. Everything in me wanted to say 'no, they weren't meant to fit a man's penis'...but I just looked at him for a few seconds as he kept waving his hand in front of his crotch. Then, he pulls up his shirt to reveal his very large pot belly hanging over the waist band (hip band on him) and said "I'm just not sure they fit right here", again waving his hand to keep my attention where I really didn't want to look. I honestly thought for a minute, there has to be a camera around here somewhere. I told the man to turn around and he did. So obedient, this one. Anyway, I told him the only truth I could give him. I said "They make your butt look great."
There's a truth to be told about any outfit on someone: that color flatters your skin tone, that's a great color for your hair (or eyes), those slacks make your legs look longer (c'mon petites, y'all know what I mean)...there is always something, and the truth was, his butt did look pretty good in those slacks. Would have even looked better from a distance, but he stayed put. Each of our dressing rooms have at least one mirror and a triple mirror outside of the 'stalls'. Why did he need me to tell him whether the material draped nicely over his penis or not?
Apparently there is a shop rule about this type of thing. One of the store's associates has to wait inside of the dressing room area if we have a man trying on clothes, so that other women (which a couple of women opted to wait) may try on clothes without being afraid they'd walk out to see a semi-dressed...guy.

It ended up being a rather large sale, with his explaining how he thought men would love wearing this fabulous material next to their skin if they'd just give it a try, how men are missing out simply because they're afraid of what people would think of them. I didn't have to, but I did tell him that his asking me if I thought the slacks fitted him in the crotch was putting me in a rather awkward position, because I hadn't known how to answer him. I told him that it would be impossible for them to fit him the way they were intended because they weren't intended to fit around a penis. He looked at me with a little smile and said that what he'd meant was, did they pucker at the pockets, because sometimes slacks will do that if they don't fit right. I said "Darlin', it wasn't your pockets you were directing my attention to". That left him speechless while he blushed and when my manager started laughing, so did we. He then said he just loves shopping at our store and he'll be back.

Great.

17 Comments:

Blogger DaBich said...

ROFL Kathi!!! A cross-dresser. How much was the final sale? You ought to get commission on him, just for the trouble. I'm glad you put him in his place.
Funny story...I met a guy from on line, Brian, sweet person. He felt he was a woman trapped in a man's body. Married. Kids. Grandkids. He decides one day, he's gonna go female. And he did. Big boobs, new name of Amy. Still a sweetheart, but Lord, how do people DO these things?

6:12 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Aren't people funny? I have known a couple men who dressed in women's clothing, but they carried themselves with a strange, strong kind of gracefulness and would NEVER call attention to themselves in that perverted type of manner. This guy was obviously fishing for a reaction, and you handled the situation very nicely!

Keep those stories coming!

6:15 AM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

I can't believe you actually said that to him! You are so bold. Only you could say it without offending him, and only you could actually make the cross dresser blush. That is one of the wackiest stories I've ever heard. Thanks.

7:42 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

dabich ~ yeah, it was funny. The things that make life fun. Is Amy still married?

nancy ~ People (including us) are hysterical. This guy could be described as graceful, in an in your face type of way. I mean, you may be a great basketball player, but you don't go dribbling your ball everywhere you go forcing people to look at you and think 'hmmmm, I bet he likes to play basketball'.

7:43 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

3 c's ~ I'm definitely the most outspoken shy person you're gonna meet. I wish I could have gotten it on tape, it honestly felt like one of those hidden camera moments. If he hadn't been in there before, I'd been sure of it.

7:48 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

AMy is no longer married. His son and daughter-in-law and grandkids keep in touch and visit. I believe they prefer Amy to their grandmother lol.

His new profession?

An OTR truck driver! Go figure! lol

9:59 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Now, go back and check my comments on your last two posts ;)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I wanna work at your place!!!

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You kill me Kathi. Great stuff. I usually order all my women's clothes on line, along with my Victoria's Secret stuff. LOL

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Kathi! This could only happen to you...thanks for the laughs! I needed it today!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Are you sure you were not in Clayton, Missouri? That sounds like the man I read about in the newspaper, they even had his picture in the paper. He owned a hundred pairs of size 12 mules and could walk in heels better than any of us.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

OMG!!!!!!!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Puffy pockets and buldges. Love it. And this is in TX????????????????? Good Lord, I hardly even see this kinda' thing in NY! Great story- loved how you told it.

I'm sure you were very tactful sweetie!

This made me laugh--I totally needed to read this tonight!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I honestly thought for a minute, there has to be a camera around here somewhere."

Yep, and I loved reading about it, hahahaha :)

8:40 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

dabich ~ again, showing my ignorance, what's OTR?

lynilu ~ lucky you, we're hiring !!

tom ~ hey...what happened!??!

nikki ~ glad to make you smile!

rose ~ right here in our great
state of Texas, rose, lol.

michelle ~ lol, yup!

deb ~ I'm nothing if not tactful, hon. :) Glad to make you laugh.

wes ~ glad to be of service, babe.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

He met his match when he met you. That's why he'll be back! I love the "Darlin'..." packed with southern drawl.

2:35 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

OTR is "Over The Road"
Long distance trucker ;)

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home