.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Just another day at work

So, since I'm working at a clothing shop, these are the stories you may occasionally get. Sorry.

I was busy in the shop, working in the front of the store, when the phone begins to ring at the back of the store. As I get towards the back of the store a 300 plus pound, older woman (75 to 80 'ish'), is standing in the aisle with this 2 piece shirt wrapped around her head, shoulders and down her torso to her waist. With the exception of her bra, she was just skin and twisted cloth...but mostly skin. Seriously, there was a lot of skin.

I did not laugh.

I started to ask if I could help her and she said "I've been yelling and yelling for help". I had 2 managers also working and have no idea where they were, but I'd been in the front of the store where I was suppose to be. I told her I was sorry, that I'd been in the front and hadn't heard her. She said she was stuck.

Why yes, yes she was.

She continues to struggle with the clothing as I try to steer her back into the fitting rooms and into the room she'd been using. After awhile of trying to calm her down, I figure out that the shell (which is sewn by it's spaghetti straps to the outer shirt) is twisted around her head, with her head and left arm being through one of the arm holes, her right arm through the neck and her arms through the arms of the outer shirt...but backwards to where the back was in the front and it buttoning up the back.
First I had to get it pulled off of her and off of her arms and around her head. I had to touch a lot of her. I don't like to touch people much, I don't like to touch strangers at all, and I definitely don't like to touch semi naked strangers.
After I got it off of her, she asked if I'd stay and help her get it on correctly. C'mon...please, just shoot me. Seriously, after having had to inch this up off of every inch of her torso and arms, the last thing I wanted to do was put it back on her. So, I said "sure, I'd be happy to". And, I did. The top was a size 32, and I had to s-t-r-e-t-c-h it over her. When I got it on her, I wanted to ask her if she'd like for me to get her a larger size but knew we didn't carry a larger size. She turned and looked at herself in the mirror, then asked if I'd help her get out of it.

Again.

After having to get my hands underneath the shell to peel it off of her, she said...

"I knew I wouldn't want it, I've always hated this color".

*Lord, I have no fear of coming home...please don't let me get to be this old. Just take me home before I lose all consideration and common sense, and let my kids enjoy my life insurance.*

When I left the customer to get dressed, my managers were standing outside of the fitting rooms, laughing. One of them asked me what that was all about. I told them it was about how badly I needed $7.25 an hour.

10 Comments:

Blogger DaBich said...

*Lord, I have no fear of coming home...please don't let me get to be this old. Just take me home before I lose all consideration and common sense, and let my kids enjoy my life insurance.*
Oh! You kill me! LOL But seriously, I don't know HOW you did it....twice!! Maybe you should threaten the managers with bodily harm ;)

4:45 AM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

Wow, Kathi. You made a comment about how daycare employees may not get paid enough to rinse poopy undies...I'd rather rinse a child's poopy undies than undress an adult stranger with all their faculties. You are definitely earning your pay...and then some. I hope you get employee of the month or something. ;)

I don't know why we all watch sitcoms when real life is so darn funny! :)

7:14 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

OMG!!! Kathi, that is way and above the requirements of your job!!

You definately deserve a raise, oh, and thanks for the good laugh. :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

I have no words... no words at all... many many smiles, no words.

3:30 PM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

Remind me to tell you of the time I had to pick the naked 300 pound man up off the floor from the kneeling position. Um... I had to put a sling around him... and wrap it under his legs... Um... and pick up his balls to do so.


Then I threw up.


lmao


It could be worse honey... :)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Oh, Kathi.

Oh...Kathi.

Go to your happy place in times like this. You are an angel on earth.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

1. Did you get her phone number, I might give her a call. 2. I think you qualify for PTSD disability pension. 3. At least she was not trying on a thong.

That was a good story, made me laugh. Thanks kath.

4:16 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

dabich ~ lol, life's got a lot of laughs, huh?

3 c's ~ not sure which I'd rather do less, but it'd be a close race. Chances are good we get paid about the same.

michelle ~ agreed. I deserve a lot of things, and a raise is one of them. :)

lovelladro ~ I had a lot of smiles too, and I kept from laughing. Yay me.

amanda ~ girl, ewwwww. You win, lol!

nancy ~ no angel here, hon...or anywhere else, lol. Trust me on that!

tom ~ OMG, thong...that was hysterical...and sick at the same time.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

When I was in college I worked at a store that had a lot of older customers..it amazed me at how many times they would ask you to go in the dressing room to help them. This story brought back bad flashbacks. You need a raise. A big one.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

Don't be sorry about this post. I loved it! The Lord coming home bit was brilliant.

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home