.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Saturday, March 22, 2008

The smallest of hands still hold on to life...


This is the picture of a 21-week-old unborn baby named Samuel Alexander Armas, who is being operated on by surgeon named Joseph Bruner. The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive if removed from his mother's womb. Little Samuel's mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta . She knew of Dr. Bruner's remarkable Surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb.During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small incision to operate on the baby. As Dr.Bruner completed the surgery on Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully developed Hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger. Dr.Bruner was reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.

The photograph captures this amazing event with perfect clarity. The editors titled the picture, 'Hand of Hope.' The text explaining the picture begins, 'The tiny hand of 21-week- old fetus Samuel Alexander Armas emerges from the mother's uterus to grasp the finger of Dr Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life.' Little Samuel's mother said they 'wept for days' when they saw the picture. She said, 'The photo reminds us pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness, it's about a little person.' Samuel was born in perfect health, the operation 100 percent successful.

All I could think of when I read this is of all the women (young and old) who call our office wanting to know if we perform abortions. We don't. But there are those that will perform abortions up to 18 - 21 weeks.

I looked at Planned Parenthood's site and saw this:

Surgical Abortion:
10 days to 4.6 weeks - $550 Fannin, $550 Bryan
5 weeks to 9.6 weeks - $425 Fannin, $480 Bryan
10 weeks to 11.6 weeks - $480 Fannin, $540 Bryan
12 weeks to 13.6 weeks - $625 Fannin, $680 Bryan
14 weeks to 15.6 weeks - $880 Fannin ultrasound only - $100
Price includes everything, no additional charges.
We have limited financial assistance available.
Payment may be made by MasterCard/VISA, Discover, American Express, cash, check, or money order.

I'm not a political person and I don't mean to get into such here. Simply that this is what I'm thinking about today. What I'm praying about today. What I've cried about today.

Please take a moment to lift up all those who are facing unwanted pregnancies today and considering abortion. Pray that their hearts will be open to alternative choices and that God will send someone into their lives that will give them hope.
*To see the actual slide show of little Samuel squeezing the Dr's finger, please visit the photographer's website here.

14 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I saw this picture a few years back for the first time, and was amazed by it. Like you, Micah and I are not political people. But one thing that outweighs all of the others when we look at candidates is their views on abortion.

There have been recent studies on the mental health of women who have received an abortion, and the studies show the anguish and guilt these women suffer in years after is quite great, as I can only imagine that it would be.

It's amazing to me that these sweet little ones are not considered, by some, real live human beings before they are born into this world. This picture truly grasps that they indeed are...thank you for sharing it with us. Happy Easter!!

8:14 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ I knew this wouldn't be a popular post, but still had to follow my heart and put it out there. I also knew you'd understand how I felt, thank you. Happy Easter to you and yours, love you much!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really have a problem with unplanned pregnancies.

I do have a problem with the irresponsible and incapable people who actually keep the child rather than give it up so at least it has a chance in life.

Abortion is a totally different debate which I won't touch here :)

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathi,
I'm pretty confident that you and I don't agree on too much.

But you know what? I was reading some of your older posts because I'm having trouble sleeping--nervous about the upcoming week, feeling sick, et cetera et cetera. (I've been reading your blog for awhile. I'm one of those lurkers who read and never comment. I've been trying to come out of the woodwork lately, though, so hence the message tonight.)

Your Thanksgiving post from last year ('07) was very touching. I know you hear it all the time, and I know I'm a complete stranger half a country away in New York City, and I'm sure it doesn't matter too much to you what I think, but man! Those really are some wonderful sons that you have. I want to commend you on your quality time with them, and on the love you show them. I want to commend them for the same things. Something about reading about your Thanksgiving just made me want to de-lurk to tell you that. Your family is lovely and loving and an inspiration.

I hope it's okay that I wrote that stuff. Again, you don't know me, and it has to be a little strange for people who don't know you personally to comment on your life. I figure, you have a public blog, why not? If I've got something positive to say to a stranger, why not say it?

Congratulations on two lovely, loving boys. Good night in Texas, and sleep well!

11:29 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

What a wonderful post. I'm not very political either. But I AM human. And abortion sucks. I won't wax political on it tho.
How can ANYONE say, that's not LIFE? They're only kidding themselves.

Hope your Easter was peaceful.
HUGZ!

4:45 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

wes ~ some of life's most wonderful blessings are unplanned or unexpected.

anon ~ wow, thanks. I don't mind you writing 'that stuff' at all and I hope you don't mind me telling you that you made my morning. Thank you.

dabich ~ my Easter wasn't 'peaceful' and I'll blog about it later, but it was memorable and I was thankful for MANY things. :) Hugs right back at'cha!

6:15 AM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

That's quite a picture and story. A price list for abortion is very disturbing. Honestly, if there was one person who lives anywhere near me who is facing an unwanted pregnancy, I would seriously consider adopting that child. But hey, people don't typically come up to people and say "I'm facing an unwanted pregnancy. Want to adopt?", so that's really kind of a lame thing to say...

Did their site mention anything about adoption counselors being available? That would be nice...

7:33 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

3 c's ~ they have adoption definitions and information on their site, I'm sure they must do some counseling. Putting a price on lives though, such as this little guy, simply breaks my heart. I understand your feelings completely.

10:34 AM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

so amazing... not only is there an actual life there but it reaches out just like your or I would.

4:50 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

lovelladro ~ ...or Chase.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I have no words other than this is the most beautiful way to demonstrate your views on this.

Love you Kath!

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Same "anon" as before, but you can call me Kelly.)

Of course I don't mind hearing that I made your morning. That makes my evening!

I just wanted you to know that there is another person in the world who reads your words and who thinks you have a wonderful family. I'll try to comment more often.

Much Love from NYC,
Kelly

8:41 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ thank you (oh, and you...no words? Not buying it). Love you back!

kelly ~ thank you so much. Really. I don't know anything about you, other than you say we have little in common, but being a single mom with no family around, it really makes you feel good to have someone compliment you on your kids. So, thank you Kelly from NYC. :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

If only women [young or old] who are in the valley of decision could gaze upon that picture or slideshow. There are far too many resources to sustain life and avenues for adoption to chose abortion.

This will be featured in next week's Blog Safari! :D

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home