.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Sunday, August 19, 2007

"We're just going to leave him?"

That was what Charlie asked me as we were leaving Casey today. He said "It just feels weird to leave him here all by himself" and he was right. Even though the reality was that there were thousands of kids also moving in with-in a few block area of UNT's campus, walking out of that dorm room and leaving Casey there not knowing anyone...it was hard. But, he was ready. This is what I've raised him for; to be prepared, to feel secure and to look forward to this next step of growing up that is college.


I took Saturday and Sunday off from work to get Casey packed (which entailed about six loads of laundry), sorting out what he had that was Charlies and what Charlie had that was Caseys, and helping the boys trade rooms which was like moving but without the boxes and U-Hauls.

Here is my baby before we left this morning.


















Charlie rode with Casey, and both of our cars were pretty much packed. Since my camera quit on me in Casey's dorm room ( I desperately need a new camera, mine is hit and miss the last few months, mostly miss) I'll give you the pictures I did get. Casey and Charlie passing me on the way to UNT:






















and one of them in front of me in Denton (this pic is for anne):



















Casey's room was on the third floor and, of course, there were no elevators. The stairways were packed with sweating kids and parents carrying televisions, refrigerators and microwaves. There were a few things we'd forgot to bring, but nothing major. So all in all, it went pretty smooth.

Charlie and I were pretty quiet on the way home, most of the talking was from Charlie. He mentioned several times how weird it was just walking off and leaving Casey there. As weird as that was, the hardest part for me was coming home to a house without him.

We've been a solid trio (Casey, Charlie and I) for this past year. I'm going to miss him very much. I'll miss his telling me he loves me for no reason; and when I'd say 'I love you, too', he'd always reply "love you more". He had no idea how impossible that was. I'll miss his humor, his jokes, and his friendship every day he's not here.

What an amazing young man I left at UNT today. Lucky UNT.

,

20 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

Coming by here before I go to bed
as I knew you would have a post up about Casey....very nice one!
It must have been a hard day for you!!!!

You sure will miss him Kathi!
I sure miss my son...I especially miss the daily hugs and "I love you's!"

Margie

1:33 AM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

Seriously... I am in tears here. I mean, I know its a good thing... he is a strong man who is bound to do great things in this world but my heart is sad because he isn't physically with you anymore. That being said, I am still very excited to keep hearing about Charlie and your adventures as well as Casey's adventures from school!

Good Luck Casey!

8:19 AM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

Aw. That must be so tough, for everyone. I'm sure he'll do great at school, and you guys will do great, too.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Sitting here with tears in my eyes.

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey we both did the same thing this weekend! We did the move in thing with all the stairs, only everyone was soaking wet from a constant down poor. Talk about a mess. It was a little easier this year when it was time to leave him but not much. It is pretty weird when you come home to an empty house, it's a different kind of empty.

6:00 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

margie ~ oh hon, I know we're in the same boat here...my shoulder is free anytime you need it and I'll wipe my tears on yours. Hugs.

lovelladro ~ I'm so proud of him and I know he's going to do great, it's just that the parental instinct to protect is something that we never outgrow. Just you wait. :)

3 c's ~ yup, no doubts there. Thanks for encouraging me, I appreciate it!

nancy ~ sweetie, I love you hon.

katy ~ I was gonna call to see if Andrew moved in this weekend too. Now I don't need to, lol. Yeah, you know I've said for years that I couldn't wait for them to go to college...well...I could have.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Your bond is unbreakable Kath. I have no other words, other than to say you are truly loved....(more too!)

8:38 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Even though I knew it was coming, it still made me sad just now when I read this post. I'm happy that he is starting this next phase in his life, but sad for you and Charlie.

Let us know how his week is going.

9:39 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ thanks deb, knew that but sometimes we need to hear it. Love you more.

michelle ~ I know, be too, me too. :)

1:11 PM  
Blogger Keasty said...

Been there
Done that
Bought the T shirt
Moved on

Thinking of you Kathi at this time. Fancy, you even left him with a car... that' pretty flash!!!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

That was a great post Kathi.

Im so jealous of him! He is going tohave so much fun. Thanks for the pic..I know right where that is!

7:15 AM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

How sweet is that... big (((hugs))) to you dear

10:02 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

Awe honey. Such a sweet an awesome post. ((hug)) You are so blessed babe.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

This brings back memories from me during the same last August. It is a wonderful feeling yet sad....

3:29 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

keasty ~ yeah, I'm still in the process of packing, I guess. :)

anne ~ I thought you might recognize it. I know he's gonna have fun, he deserves some fun.

amanda ~ thanks darlin'.

kidd ~ I am blessed, thank you.

rose ~ exactly.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I cannot even imagine how that felt. To just leave him - I still remember how I felt after my Dad dropped me off; I saw him pull away and I thought to myself, "Is this it?"

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm sure he'll be just fine.

By the way, the first picture is PIMP!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of Casey, going off to college. Good for him! And I'm so proud of you, too, for raising such an amazing young man.

Always remember that I'm just down the street from him. If he ever needs anything (school related or not), don't hesitate to call...he should have my # but just make sure he has it.

Love you guys!!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Bittersweet it is!

1:02 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Ahhh...memories. My oldest daughter has graduated. I remember SO well, the moving process. The lump in the throat, the feeling that you were abandoning them. NOT SO!
Now, when is the first break he is coming home???? :)
Big hugZ!

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home