.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Given the Choice, I'll Smile

There are so many things in my life that make me smile. I'm more than grateful. Yeah, I've got the crappy stuff too...but I can't allow myself to focus on it. I've got too many people around me that are an example of what focusing on the bad stuff will do to you. I'm old enough to learn from the mistakes of others. Okay, I'm more than old enough, let's not get nitpicky here.

The other week or so my antenna wouldn't go down when Charlie and I took my car to my favorite car wash. They told me that it wasn't going down, but I really wanted my car washed (and I love it when they clean it all nice and spotless on the inside), so I told them to go ahead and run it through. Well, yup, it broke. Actually it bent, but when Charlie tried to straighten it, it broke. We looked at it when we got home, and until I can get it fixed (no money, no time, no fix) we took some tape to it. Go ahead and laugh, we have.

Then that sweet little old lady hit my car, which I haven't had fixed yet. One reason, if anyone cares, is because it bothered me that the two places I took it to wanted to see the estimate the insurance company had sent me before they'd give me an estimate. Why? I asked them to give me estimates before I got the papers from her insurance company telling me how much they'd pay me based on their appraiser, so it made me feel as if they'd make sure their estimate would be at least as much as the appraiser had quoted. Seriously, why should their estimates have anything to do with the appraisers estimate? Maybe I just didn't feel comfortable with these auto repair shops, maybe I still have an issue with trust from what was done with Casey's car...or maybe I'm an idiot. Oh, hush, I'm going with I was uncomfortable and I listen to my 'gut'.

So, here I am driving a car that has the driver side caved in, a drivers side window that will not go down without holding on to it and, likewise, you have to hold it in place to make it go back up, and an antenna that is held together with scotch tape.

I am seriously about as white trash as they come.

And yet, still I smile.

11 Comments:

Blogger Keasty said...

Well Kathi, you made me smile! How bout a photo? If you run short of tape, let me know and maybe I can send you some from Oz.
As I often say, Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!

3:16 AM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

I smiled reading it!


But honestly, if a crappy car is the worst thing going on (other than #1 heading to college soon, of course!) I'd say you're doing just fine darlin'

8:19 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Keep on truckin' sister! You manage to pull off a smile in both life and "material things" that happen to go wrong on ocassion.

I admire you!!!

8:55 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

keasty ~ I'll take a pic of it, sure. The boys tease me and say it'd look much better with duct tape, I keep expecting them to 'fix' it with the 'fix all tape'. :)

amanda ~ I'm blessed, no question there!!

deb ~ truck, bike, run or crawl, I'll keep on! I admire you too, babe, muchly. ;)

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Kathi you're so cute...thanks for the laugh.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for the good laugh this morning. Hey, it kinda sounds like my own life, and like you I chose to shake my head and smile.

I don't blame you for not taking the car to those repair shops. It sounds like they are just wanting to take all of the money whether or not that is what they typically charge.

Oh, and by the way "Mamou" is what my children call their grandmother. She is Micah's mom.

10:18 AM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

love this post... i am learning that lesson constantly... your mood isn't dicated by your situation... i needed to hear it today so thanks for posting!

i am smiling in MD with you ;~)

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did right by not giving them the estimate. Stick to your guns

3:37 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

nikkie ~ hon, it made my day to see you comment before I headed off to work this morning. Love you so much!

michelle ~ yup, you and I are a lot alike. :) Oh, and Mamou and I speak the same language!

lovelladro ~ good, I'm glad you're smiling with me. Means I'm in good company!

epsilonicus ~ yeah, you know me...stubborn.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

Hey darlin'
I just came by this Sunday evening to give you all my support.
So your wonderful son Casey left today, huh?

I know just how you are feeling!
It's so hard!!!!
I'm missing my son as much tonight as I did a week ago!

Sending hugs of support!

Margie
P.S Almost forget to tell you...
Your post made me smile:)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

It doesn't matter how the car looks. What's more important is whose behind that wheel and why is she so happy?!

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home