.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Looking Back

Last week I did the post of the pictures of my life leading me to where I am. Looking through all those pictures was, well, hard for me. So many faces, so many memories, so many years ago.

Some of my favorites were of my paternal grandparents. The pictures of my sister and I with my grandparents brought back wonderful memories. We saw them several times a year, but we'd always spend a week of our summer with them. They'd take us to the local fairs where we'd stuff ourselves with carmel corn and candy apples and ride everything at least once. They'd take us fishing where my grandma would pack us lunches with a thermos of her home made lemonade, the best lemonade ever. They'd take us to strawberry fields where we could pick our own strawberries, and honestly, I don't think I've ever tasted strawberries better than those we'd pick when I was a kid. They'd take us to visit our 'odd' relatives that always creeped us out just a bit, and they'd show us off with so much pride. They'd take us to the drive-in movies and my grandma would pop the best corn to take with us, but they would always fall asleep during the movies.
Looking back, I don't think I could possibly have appreciated them as much as they deserved, but I did appreciate and love them, and I'm sure they knew that I did.
When I was older, and after I'd left my first husband, I use to work in accounting 8-5, 5 days a week and bartended 6 nights a week with Sundays off. Every Saturday night when I'd get out of the bar, I'd go home, get my dog and head down to my grandparents, a 3 hour drive, getting there around 5 or 6 am. I'd get a couple hours of sleep and then take my grandparents around town to get their groceries and whatever chores they needed done. My grandma would fix a great meal (the lady never got too old to cook!), I'd take a bit of a nap and head back home late that afternoon. I did this every week for over a year. My grandpa had gotten too old to drive safely, not that he ever drove safely...or completely sober, and walking to the store had gotten to be too much for my grandma. It was never a chore, I looked forward to it every week. They knew I loved them.
I spent my last night in Indiana before leaving for Texas at their house. The morning I left my grandpa took me to the gas station and filled my car up for me. My grandma filled my front seat with food and gave me $20. I'll never forget tears flowing down my face as I drove off, watching them in my rear view mirror, standing together in the middle of their street, waving goodbye to me.


18 Comments:

Blogger GERBEN said...

Awe, honey I got a tear in my eye. What a wonderful thing you use to do for them. Such a good granddaughter.

10:01 AM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

Very nice stories. Nice picture, too. Comparing that picture to all the ones of you that you posted in that recent post, I think maybe you look a little like your grandma...?

11:18 AM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

That was meant as a compliment, by the way...I just realized I don't think I've ever told anyone they look like their grandma before. :)

11:19 AM  
Blogger Not so evil Shenanigans said...

I got goosebumps reading your post. That's the kind of grandma I know my mom would have been and the kind I wish my MIL was. I'm afraid my kids are missing out on that kind of love. But, like I said before she loves in her own special way.

I'm so glad you have those memories, life really was good back then, huh?

12:58 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

What a wonderful story and view of your past. You're a special person, Kath. This photo is incredible. I hope you have it framed. :)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Ah crap there go the waterworks again.

What a wonderful story. I lost one set of grandparents as an infant and my other grandfather when I was just 10. My remaining grandma is now 90 years old...I just thought of her today when I thought I caught the scent of White Rain hairspray. I loved their house and growing up there.

Thanks for sharing your memories and reminding me of my own.

6:55 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

kidd ~ no, no, no...I didn't mean it like that. I hope I didn't come off that way. I loved doing it. They were the best grandparents, every kid should have that kind of loving grandparents. Unfortunately, most don't. Mine had my dad, he was a pretty cool grandpa, aside from all the swearing and bigotry. :)

3 c's ~ I DO look like her. I'll have to post some from her 20's and my 20's...eerie. No, I wasn't insulted, lol.

shannon ~ yeah, I saw that we'd posted similiar (but distant) subject matter today. And, life's better today, I think. :)

deb ~ thanks sweetie, and no, nothing special about me, trust me. Yup, it's framed.

nancy ~ awwww, honey...that's funny cause I just had waterworks over at YOUR blog. That was such an awesome slide show, and it was to one of my favorite songs.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Old people that leave their mark on life is nice. Too many of us go through life without making a positive mark on anyone or anything. Good stuff kathy.

8:27 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

tom ~ kathy who? ;) Goof.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a beautiful memory. My maternal grandmother was the same way with my sister and I when we were growing up. She was such a huge part of our lives and was more like a mother to us than a grandmother.

I love their picture. They look like lovely people. :)

7:34 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ thanks hon, how's your summer going??

9:12 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Here we go down memory lane. The photograph makes your heartfelt post come to life. I think your grandparents are the gems of your past. They remind you of all that was good. Did you ever see them again?

11:29 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

I adored this post. My maternal grandfather was a sweetheart. My maternal grandmother was not lol. I miss him dearly, but the good memories live on. Thanks for sharing :)

1:52 PM  
Blogger Seven said...

Very sweet and importantly, very positive. I think the love they showed you shines through in your own attitudes.

2:05 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

rosemarie ~ my grandpa died a few months after I left, I saw my grandma a few times over the next 2 years before she died. I still get out their letters and read them now and then, they always make me laugh.

dabich ~ thank you, and I know the feeling...

seven ~ thank you, and thanks again. :)

6:06 PM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

Grandparents are great, aren't they?

8:04 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

That was sweet. Thanks for sharing.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww... that made me teary... driving out of Indiana and leaving people behind sucks butt in a big way... When I did it I made it as far as the Mo line and then got a room n cried in private.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home