.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Brothers

In my last post I was expressing my thanks for men of God who have stepped up to be male role models for Casey. Yesterday I was helping Charlie clean out his room and as he gave me an old back pack to throw away, I looked through it to make sure there wasn't anything in it.

There was.

Inside it there were a few papers that were trash, a couple of pens and such, but most importantly was an envelope that had 'to Charlie' written on it, but I noticed it was in Charlie's handwriting. I opened it and inside was a sort of questionnaire he'd filled out to remind him of what was going on in 2007, his sophomore year of high school. It had questions like; what are you wearing? (a Black Sabbath tee shirt and ripped jeans), if you could live anywhere where would you live? (New York) and so on. There was one question, however, that made my whole day. It asked 'Out of your entire life, who is your role model, the person you admire the most?' and Charlie answered 'MY BROTHER'.

I asked Charlie if he thought Casey knew that he felt this way about him and Charlie said "he should, I've told him before".

Really??

One thing that amazes me about this is that as much as Charlie is into music and film that he didn't mention one of the people he's got hanging on his walls like Quentin Tarantino or Dave Mustaine.

I showed the questionnaire to Casey after church today, and after he read it he just looked at me and grinned. I asked Casey if he knew Charlie felt this way, and Casey said that Charlie has told him before that he admired him, but he never knew whether to take him seriously or not. You know...brothers and all that.

Casey is keeping this piece of paper that lets him know that the way he lives doesn't only have an effect on his life, but on Charlies. How awesome it is that as men from our church stepped up to be positive male influences in Casey's life, Casey has done the same for Charlie.

I'm grateful to have two such great kids, and I'm so very grateful for the positive influence they have on one another. How amazing is that?

We all influence the lives of others, whether we realize it or not. Everything from the language we use to how we react to life's responsibilities. Nothing goes unnoticed.

7 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

That is amazing Kath. So many times I think children take their siblings for granted, and it looks like Charlie does not.

You are so blessed to have 2 outstanding young men for your children and it's because of the role model you have been for them, I'm sure.

11:18 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ I think it's amazing...I never had that sort of relationship with my sister, especially at that age. I am blessed, and darlin', from your blog today, so are you!!

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah.... I know the "brother" thing all too well :)

Great to see wonderful things like this happening for you!

11:00 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Your boys continue to amaze me. The love and respect they have for each other and YOU is a direct reflection of how YOU have raised them. They will be fine young men, fathers, and contributing member of society. You should be proud, lady!

4:45 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

wes ~ thanks, that's really sweet of you.

dabich ~ how cool is it to see you post today (touching post), and then to read your comment that you're back. Yay!
Oh, and your words are way too kind, but thank you.

6:38 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

Wow, there is always something that amazes me, gives me goosebumps on your blog. Your boys are some great kids. But you already know that.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Great to see that Casey has been influenced in such positive ways that he's now rubbing off on Charlie. Kudos to the men who stepped up, but I'm sure what you've done hasn't gone unnoticed either. Great work Kathi!

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home