.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Stepping Up

I picked Casey up today from the airport. I knew I'd missed the kid, but when I drove up and saw him sitting outside of the airport on a bench, my heart just skipped a beat. It's only been six days, but I'd forgotten how much of a man my baby is until all 6'2" of him stood up, picked up his bag and headed for my car with that big ole' smile of his.

For those of you playing catch up, he'd driven to Miami from Dallas with a couple of men from our church taking some supplies to our new campus there. He'd stayed in a hotel with them for a few days till they flew home on Sunday and then he stayed with a church member there, that Casey said was an amazing Christian (his name is DiDo), until today. Casey flew from Miami to Houston and then home to Dallas.

I am so grateful for the wonderful men that God has put in Casey's life this past year since his dad left. Our church really stepped up when they found out Mark had left us and some amazing, strong men of faith have been there for Casey. I'm so thankful that he has had positive male influences in his life this year, it's been such an important year for him...his senior year and all that goes with it. There are four or five men that call him, invite him to play basketball, to come over for video games, and to go to the movies. I wonder if they have any idea what an influence they've had on him. I wonder if they know what a blessing they've been. Each time I thank them, I nearly break down and cry. These men all have families of their own, and their families have welcomed Casey into their homes with open arms.

When I took Casey to meet the men he was driving to Miami with last Thursday, there were some men from the church there to see them off. One of them said to me "Do you realize what an awesome young man of God your son is?" and I told him "I realize it every single day." I've thought back to that man asking me that question several times since then, and I keep thinking how thankful I am that there are some real men...strong men, faithful men, around Casey that see him as I see him; and not only that, but they let Casey know that they see him that way.

God has blessed my family. He has given my sons positive role models in a time when they have desperately needed it. I am so thankful....so thankful.

14 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

It’s great that Casey had this great emotional support at this time. Whether male or female, I think anyone with faith and love can provide the emotional support that Casey seeks. People from all races, all ages, and all genders can make a huge difference when it comes to being a friend. He’s a fortunate kid! Hope you all are doing great. Wait---y’all, right? ;)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

P.S. I'll be away till the 21rst. Don't miss me too much now! :) Love you!!!

10:59 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ true that, however, :) , having lost a father figure in such a hard way, it was a blessing that good men stepped up to give an example of what real and Godly men are made of.
Love you too! Enjoy yourself.

11:17 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

I am so happy for you and the boys. You really are blessed. ((HUG))

11:48 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

kidd ~ thank you, and yup, we are. Praying for that car, kiddo.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hey Kath...the Tapp's are doing great. Just haven't had time to update the blog recently. Micah's family is in town right now and we are enjoying spending time with them.

It is awesome to see God giving Casey what he needs right now through these amazing men. But more than anything, I bet Casey is probably learning what an amazing Heavenly Father he has, and that He more than anyone else loves him and will always be there no matter what. I know that is exactly what I learned during "those" years and I am grateful for it. For the first time I was truly able to experience God as my "Daddy", and not just my God, if that makes sense.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Dizzie said...

God bless you and your kids, Kathi. I've said it before, but it's worth saying again - you've done an amazing job, raising those boys!

Most guys his age would never think about going to church, less doing something on his free time for the church... good job!

4:15 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ it makes perfect sense. :)

heart ~ thank you. So, were those heels for real?

6:05 AM  
Blogger Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Kathi - I'm sure you're so proud Casey has used part of his summer this way. My family and I have recently starting going to church - even my husband - and we're experiencing the strength and love of a church family. God is Great!

8:56 AM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

You should be, and I'm sure Casey is too.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an awesome post. I really enjoyed reading it.

It's so good to hear that there are still great people in the world. Congrats on receiving a wonderful blessing :)

6:48 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

shannon ~ I'm really happy for you and your family, that's great news!! I'll keep y'all in my prayers.

amanda ~ thanks, keeping your big day in my prayers too!

wes ~ I live to make you happy. :)

8:57 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

I love this post Kathi and am thankful that there are still good Christian men who are ready to step in and help.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

What a blessing to know that godly men in your church family saw the need to step in and fill in where there is lack or absence. Blessings are yours...in abundance!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home