.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Christmas In July

So, I'm working. I got a job about 2 weeks ago at a woman's clothing store about 10 minutes from where I live. I barely make minimum wage, I'm on my feet the entire shift and I have to smile and make nice with people. The oddest thing, though, is that I don't hate it. Nope, I really don't. I've never worked in retail before, the closest thing to it would have been the years I bartended and/or waited tables. Only then I actually made decent money...actually pretty great money.
I'll still be subbing when school starts, along with keeping this job. They've said they'll work around my schedule, we'll see. I'll have to work the two jobs to make ends meet until I find that o.n.e. job that pays enough to be my only job. But right now, I'm just thankful to have the job. Seriously, I'm very thankful.

Yesterday, it was Christmas at the Bratcher home. My ever so sweet friend, Lisa, went on vacation with her family to Hawaii and in the midst of having a wonderful time on her family's first vacation, she got enough stuff (and by stuff, I mean goodies) to send us the best ever care package. Okay, so it took her a month to get it to me after she got home, but who cares? The boys and I got boxes of chocolate covered caramel and macadamia nuts (like Turtles?) and a box of macadamia nut cookies. Yuuummmm! There was a really cool carved shell night light and some real 'purty' jewelry. She sent me some green earrings, which really look good on me. :) AND she sent me a bracelet that I love...not just because it's a gorgeous cuff bracelet made of various rock, but because I had seen it on her in one of her vacation pictures (that you can see HERE) and had told her that I'd liked it. When I saw it in the box, I immediately loved it and put it on. Then...because I'm not all that bright, I thought 'this looks familiar'...hmmmmm. I was really hoping it was one similar to the one I saw in the picture and not the actual one, because then I'd feel awful that she'd sent me her actual bracelet, but YUP, that's what my friend did. I can't believe how generous she was. It was her souvenir. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sending it back, lol. I'm just overwhelmed at her kindness and generosity. Everyone should have friends like my Lisa. I may not have a lot of friends, but the few I have, they're keepers.

Oh, almost forgot...but I didn't. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DABICH!! May God bless you richly. Much love and many hugs to you, my friend.

10 Comments:

Blogger DaBich said...

Awwww...kathi, now you made me all teary-eyed. Mentioning me on your blog like that. You're one of life's keepers yourself. HUGZ!

7:31 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Oh darnit, I wanted to say, I know how you feel, working all day on your feet, making peanuts for wages...I did that too right before I landed the job I am at now. I loved interacting with the people. I was a cashier at a large grocery chain near here. I MUCH prefer my new job tho lol. Pays more too.
Hang in there, that O.N.E. job will come around!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yea!! I'm so glad that you got a job. I know that it may not be the O.N.E., but hey at least it's something. :)

Lisa does sound like an awesome friend, and there is nothing like getting a surprise in the mail full of goodies!!

7:56 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

dabich ~ awww, thank, and hugs right back at'cha! Oh, and yup, I keep on 'hangin'. :)

michelle ~ Yay, me toooo!! Gotta agree, it was fun opening that box and just kept pulling things out, very cool.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Keasty said...

Hey Kathi... you sure have some cool friends eh? I liked the sound of the chocolate turtles or whatever they were. Hope you all enjoyed them.... sounded like you did.
And congrats on the work scene.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

From Young Guns [as Charley decides to ride with his outlaw gang rather than stay with his bride on his wedding night]
Charley Bowdre: "It ain't easy having pals."

It ain't always easy having pals, but it sure as hell beats the alternative. I am glad you are not hating the job, so many folks do. I started bouncing one night a week and might even get my, dare I say...dare...dare...personal training certificate. There are going to be some very strong old women around this town real soon...lol. Miss ya kath...

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Care packages RULE!

Just sayin'.

6:50 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

keasty ~ yup, I've got great friends.

tom ~ getting a certificate, huh? Good for you.

wes ~ tis a fact.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

Friends like that should never be too far to send thoughts, prayers, and goodies.

Congrats on the job!

2:38 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

rosemarie ~ thanks!

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home