.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rinse...when?

So...Charlie decided to get his hair cut. Short.

Well...he decided to cut it after several sections of his hair broke off above his ears. Yup, broke off.

Let me make it clear that this was not in any way my fault.

Lord, how I wish that were true.

Apparently, I misread the directions when I applied a straightener to his hair.

It's the second time he's asked me to do this for him. The first time was sometime last year; it went great and he loved his hair. I, personally, like his hair better wavy, but I do remember being a teen and hating my wavy hair, so I'm glad to do it for him. Until this time...neither of us are glad that I did it this time.

Back to my 'apparently'. Apparently you are suppose to rinse after putting the straightener on before adding something called the neutralizer. Yeah, well...I missed that rinsing part when I read it. So, he never rinsed the straightener out before I put on the neutralizer (on top of the straightener), leaving the straightener on his hair for about twice as long as it should have been in for. His hair was fried immediately and we have spent the last two days conditioning it with everything on the market. That didn't work. This morning I told him that his hair looked like it was matted and to run a brush through it. It wasn't matted, it was broken off in several areas. It wasn't easy getting him to go to school today. :)

Through all of this, Charlie has never held it against me that I'd made such a big mistake. When I first told him about my not having read the instructions correctly, he said "Don't worry about it, Mom", and he's never brought it up again. I've apologized several times, and he keeps telling me not to worry about it. What a kid.

So, in memory of my long haired Charlie, I give you the last picture I'd taken before the 'accident'.

21 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ooops!

Note to self "Don't ever play beauty parlor with Kathi". Nothing personal you understand, it't just that my hair grows really slowly and I would hate to have to kill you 'cause I'd miss you.

I think I feel sorrier for you than for Charlie honestly. Moms not only feel their own pain, but those of their children also. Thank goodness Charlie is being a sport about it and has the ability to realize it is only hair, which will grow back. However it may be a mighty long time before he lets you put chemicals on his head again.

By the way....where's the pic of YOUR hair??? hehehehehehe

10:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

P.S. He's very handsome with short hair. Not that hearing that is going to be much comfort.... but he is!

10:14 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Awww, you'd hate to kill me; how sweet is that?? Such a good friend, lol!
Btw...hush. ;)

11:21 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I think everybody has to have one good hair gone bad story in their lifetime. Tell Charlie that he has his out of the way and it should be smooth sailing from here on out...and he is still young! He is quite a kid indeed and I can't help but love both of your sons to death!

P.S. He looks handsome with short hair!

11:27 PM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

i have to echo the comments here... what a handsome guy with the short hair!

love the story by the way... that is a classic, for years to come, story to tell to anyone that will listen!

and charlie... well done not throwing a fit and blaming your mom... what a great son!

6:46 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

nancy ~ true. I think 'bad hair stories' may, however, run in our family. He is handsome, huh? Thank you. :)

lovelladro ~ thank you. I'll have to let him read the comments here. I think it's remarkable that he's taken it so well and never got angry with me. He's an outstanding young man, I'm really proud of him.

7:07 AM  
Blogger 3carnations said...

Aw, what a sweetie to not get mad at you. He's a good kid. It will make for quite a story for a long time. :)

I like it better short. :)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

That's what you get when you trust your mom to straighten your hair!!! :) Just teasin'.

Like everyone else, I think he looks sooo handsome with his hair short. I think it's because we can finally see his face!!

8:17 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

3 c's ~ I know, isn't he great. I can't believe he's never held me liable...I love this kid.

michelle ~ now you hush, lol! He does look good with short hair (but I love long hair too).

9:07 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

WOW is he handsome---he was before, but now he is one gorgeous guy! (Sorry Kath...I know you're probably cringing hearing a 33 yr old woman say that!) You have good genes babe!

His hair looks great---rinse/wash/clean/dye/ ---who cares what order, it's still good!

By the way, happy belated Mother's Day!!!!!!!

9:46 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

Oh wow! He looks GREAT with short hair. The long hair was nice too, but that short hair just really looks good on him.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

Ouch. The short hair is better though. You did him a favor, remind him of that at every possible moment and all should be well...haha. I thought about going short as well, but I have this whole Samson thing in my brain and I will not cut it short until I have a bad meet...or a pretty woman asks me to...lol.

12:47 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ darlin', I trust you with my kid, you know that. He'll love you saying he's handsome. (He really is, isn't he?? )
Thanks for the belated, love you!!

kidd ~ I guess I just never outgrew my love for long hair, but I do think the short looks good too. :) Funny, though, because my biggest crush in the world is Michael Chiklis (Vic on The Shield), and I'm extremely attracted to bald men. Go figure.

Samson (uhmmm, I mean tom) ~ I thought you were bald for the longest time because of this picture. I think it would surprise a lot of people to know you've got a great head of hair. So, would you ever consider shaving it? :)

3:04 PM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

I like the short hair better myself too, and honestly, because of his response, he probably feels the same way. He seems so much more grown up now.

5:06 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

amanda ~ wow, Charlie 'grown up'...now that's a heart stopping thought.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

hate to break it to him but the shorter hair style suits his face better.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Is it wrong of me to say your son looks hot? :)

Seriously..I like it at better..he's a cutie!

8:54 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

shawn ~ I'll tell him you said so. :)

anne ~ it would be wrong of you NOT to. ;)

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I love the short hair!! He looks so much more like the little boy I used to know :)

9:34 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

He looks good errr...GREAT! either way, lucky Charlie,and lucky Mom ;)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Change is good and it certainly looks that way on Charlie!

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home