.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, January 19, 2007

Perspective

There are countless things that I want to do in my life. Places I want to go yet, places I want to go to yet again. Pictures I want to take, books I want to write. I don't feel like I'm anywhere near finished with what I want to accomplish in this life that God gave to me. But yet, if my life was over today, I'm content with what I have done. I'm in a good place.

Don't misunderstand me to say that life is perfect. Times are hard and life can be a struggle from one minute to the next. I do recognize, however, that my hard times can not compare to many of the worlds hard times. Trust me on this, I know how blessed I am. I know that according to the worlds standards, my children are spoiled. I know that my cupboards in my kitchen would feed a small village, even though my kids complain that there isn't anything good to snack on at times. And I won't lay it only on my children; I, too, am spoiled by the worlds standards. Sometimes I can't find anything to watch on one of our 6 televisions. But, by a small percentage of the world, we live like paupers. Our kitchen is slightly bigger than a hallway and our newest television is at least five years old.

2006 went out a little hard on me. Financially, physically... With my back out and not being able to move for over a week, it gave me way too much time to focus on myself. I'll openly admit, I got sucked into self pity. That led to many unwelcome emotions like fear, anxiety and depression. I wish it took as little time to get out of that rut as it does to fall into it. My perspective was out of whack. I may have pushed my blessings to the back burner, but they were still there.


It's up to me how I see my situation. Sometimes I see it in a desperate light, but thankfully those times are very infrequent and I honestly do reprimand myself when I fall into that pit of self pity. It happens to us all.

Hard times are brutal, no matter how good you have it. Whether it's financial and you've lost a job, whether it's getting your heart broken and having to start over in a world that's pretty damn scary, or whether it's your child being sick and feeling powerless to help them. Hard times are hard times, regardless of what you have or what you don't. We all have our personal burdens to carry.

One thing that I've found true in my own life is that the more I focus on others, the less I focus on myself. Maybe it's because I'm not bright enough to concentrate on too many things at one time, but the more I focus on others, the less time I have for self pity. Many people find that volunteering, or throwing themselves into projects that assist others help them to carry on when faced with tragedy's in their own life.

I am blessed. I've never watched my child's belly swell from hunger. I've never had to push the sum of my life in a cart down an alley looking for a place to sleep and stay warm for the night.

Call me poor...or call me spoiled. I suppose it depends on what you have or what you don't. Regardless of what you call me, poor or spoiled, call me blessed.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is all about perspective; you are absolutely right. Whenever life hands me something that makes me start to feel sorry for myself, it usually only takes me about a minute to realize that things could be WAY worse...and that really things aren't bad at all.

There was a time in my life when drama ruled and every bend in the road was tragedy to me. I've grown up a lot since those days. Most of the things that seemed like the end of the world at the time were really hardly worth mentioning.

10:35 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

carnations ~ I'd respond to your comment, but I'm too busy playing trivia games...completely your fault! :)

10:47 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

When we give of yourself to others...
it is as much a blessing to us as to them!

I am always uplifted through your words Kathi...thank you for you who are!
A little poem for you!

May God in His wisdom
And infinite love
Look down on you always
From Heaven above....

May He send you good fortune
Contentment and peace
And may all your blessings
Forever increase!


Margie

11:08 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

margie ~ I receive that poem as well as that blessing! Thanks sweetie!!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hard times ARE hard times, no matter what that means to you as an individual. What is hard to me has been a blessing in itself, as it given me great vision to see what is right in my life. There are days I can't see all of my blessings through self-pity and grief, but the next morning is usually the cure for my temporary blindness. It comes and goes, but I'm okay with that as long as I can stop once in a while, fall to my knees, and be thankful. And I am SO thankful...

You have overcome much and will continue to succeed!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

Kathi
You are most welcome!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Margie

2:08 PM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

I think this is the best post of yours that I've read. Good job.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Call you spoiled, blessed, but not late for dinner? Kath, yup there are things left to do on earth. Things could be better, and they could be worse. Look inside yourself. Do you see love? Do you feel happiness? If so, then that's enough. If not, then there are miles to go...but you have a great journey ahead of you. I know you are a great person, albeit a bit long winded...haha, and I think of you as quality. There is precious little quality in life, and for me you are. Great post btw, and I read the whole thing this time.

10:32 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

nancy ~ you're one of my great examples to follow, I admire your strength and your vulnerability. Thanks for the kind words.

margie ~ you too!

amanda ~ wow, that's very kind of you, thanks darlin'. :)

tom ~ yeah, well, you make a lot of the things I go through easier for me, you're my buddy and I appreciate you more than you could know.

11:49 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

I'll call you wise, Kathi, you always learn from mistakes and misfortune. You're an inspiration to me and many others as well. God Bless and many hugz!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Hi Blessed! They call me grumpy. Nice to meet you! ;-0

I would never take you as one for self pity. Glad that was a fleeting moment. I need you to be my compass of optimism. :-D

3:35 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Not only will I call you blessed, but also a blessing!! Your words are always so encouraging to me, and it's because there is always God's truths in them.

Thank you for sharing your heart!!

6:40 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

dabich and michelle ~ Wow, you guys just blow me away by your words and kindness. Trust me, they touched me very much. Thank you.

shawn ~ I can't imagine me being anyone's compass...but you know how much I adore you and I'd be happy to do anything for you. I should also give you some advertising on here for your t.v. show... That will be coming soon, please stand by, lol. :)

6:58 PM  
Blogger Dizzie said...

The song says "Don't look back in anger" - I try to do that, even though sometimes, life kicks you while you're down. You know it, I know it...

The thing here is, you can only hope that you learn from what you live. And that we all are dealt a quota of shit and good things, and that after all teh shit is gone, there will be some good things left...

It's not a 50/50 situation. We can all make something positive out of it all. Or at least, here's hoping... :)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

"Regardless of what you call me, poor or spoiled, call me blessed". I need to add this to my tagline. I love this whole post but these words are so powerful and so meaningful.

9:23 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

heart ~ Some would be thankful for at least a 50/50...

rose ~ thanks rose, from you that's a great compliment, thank you very much. And yup, blessed I am and blessed I will be.

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And blessed, is the best of all :)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I sometimes consider myself unfortunate. And then, through perspective, I wonder what the heck I was thinking.

I think 2007 will be special!

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home