.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, December 21, 2006

It's Beginning To Look A Lot....

Even though it isn't beginning to look a lot like Christmas here in Dallas, it's still just a few days away!
I sent off a few faxes and a few letters to the Corporate office of Christian Brothers Automotive, where Casey's car has had all it's work done, and since I haven't given you all the entire story on it, I'll just post that letter giving you the details here:

Christian Brothers Automotive
15995 N. Barkers Landing, Suite 145
Houston, TX 77079

Mr. Mark Carr
Dr. John Freeman
Mr. Donald Evans
Mr. John Carr

Dear Sir’s:

My name is Kathi McIntire Bratcher. I live in Allen Texas. I have a 17 year old son named Casey. We recently began taking his car, a 1988 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham to one of your centers located at 5800 Avenue K, Plano Texas. It’s just down the road from our church, Fellowship Church of Plano, which is how we first came to be familiar with Christian Brothers. We first took my son’s car to Christian Brothers for an oil change and I asked them to give me an estimate for a complete tune up and repair of anything that needed repair.

My father had passed away a few years ago, and had given us this car before he’d passed. When my son had turned 16, we gave it to him. He was very proud of it.

After the oil change and an estimate of about $1,400 in needed repairs, I started saving my money, as I am a single mom and work as a substitute teacher. We took the car in November 15th and had the repairs needed done for a total of $1,486.13. I am attaching the receipt for that repair.

When we brought the car home, the car would die after starting and would not stop running after it was turned off. We took it back in on November 28th and were told it needed more repair. We had the repair done and we were charged $79.70. I am attaching that receipt as well.
*Replaced choke

On December 14th the oil and choke light came on. My son checked the oil and it was full. I called Christian Brothers and talked to Donnie. He said it may be a bad connection to the battery or an alternator problem. The next day, Friday, December 15th, my son drove it up to Christian Brothers at 6 p.m. after football practice, to see if they’d just take a look at it.
Donnie looked at it and told Casey that it was the electric choke light and low oil pressure light. Donnie told my son that it was okay to drive, as long as he’d listen for strange noises, and to bring it back on Monday or Tuesday. Casey drove it straight home, parked it for the night, and then drove it to football practice the next morning at 6 a.m., where the engine would not start again after being turned off.


Monday morning, December 18th, we had it towed to Christian Brothers. Donnie asked if I was sure Casey had checked the oil because when they checked it, it was completely out of oil…that after putting 3 quarts of oil into it, it’d still barely read full. I asked Casey again, and he said yes, and his brother said he’d been with him.
Late Monday afternoon, I called Christian Brothers and Donnie told me that the rear main seal had blown and the engine had locked up. That there was nothing they could do for us.

Casey had taken the car to Christian Brothers on Friday night, Donnie had seen the oil light on, had not checked the oil, and had told Casey that the car was alright to drive until he brought the car in on Monday or Tuesday…had it ran that long.

I am very upset that Christian Brothers is not taking any blame in what has happened to our car. This is my sons only means to school, work and to college in a few months. He volunteers many hours a week at our church and with Habitat for Humanity, this car is a very important part of his life. I have saved and put every spare penny I have into making this car safe for my son. Please look into what has happened with my son’s car at this center in Plano, Texas. I am asking for your fair evaluation and for your help.



Okay, so...I just called Christian Brothers and they say they're working on it again, after having heard from headquarters. I don't know what that means, because when I talked to them on Monday, they said there wasn't anything they could do. But, I just faxed their headquarters on Tuesday, so that was pretty fast.

I did, also, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau yesterday because I hadn't heard from anyone, and I tend to be impatient. This was a themed Christmas, everything for Charlie's Christmas and his birthday was about his music, a new guitar, amp...stuff that I don't know the names for, lol. And for Casey, all about his car. But hey, you know what...still 4 days to go and I do believe in miracles!

I start baking today, lot's of different cookies and some brownies. I got some Christmas shaped individual pans for the brownies with lots of cool icing and stuff. AAANNNNDDD, I'm making my Bratcher Trash, which is a very spicy take on the chex mix stuff, with a couple of twists. Anyway, I take some of all the goodies to friends and neighbors every year. Plus I'm extra excited because my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are coming over with their grandkids, my kids second cousins, for our Christmas together. The boys and I are really excited to have them over, they're the only one's that didn't turn their backs on us and have bothered to call to see how we are or if we have needed anything since Mark left. We had fun shopping for toys for the kids, they're into Star Wars, so that brought back memories for the boys! Soooo, I'm making all these cookies and goodies for our party with them... So, yeah, even with our Texas weather, it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas in the Bratcher home. :)

18 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

That was a great letter Kathi...I hope this works out for you. I really really hope that it does.

I love how upbeat you sound :)

10:12 AM  
Blogger ALL ABOUT YOU said...

I wish your family a wonderful week ahead!!!

10:48 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

anne ~ going back and reading the letter, barely makes sense to me. But, at least it made corporate contact them. Yup, we're upbeat here...we're good! :)

a.b.y. ~ wishing the same for you, and hope to continue reading your blog.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Wishing you and your wonderful family the most beautiful Christmas together!

I hope you get results from the letter
kathi...
It was a good letter!

Margie

11:49 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Great letter. I see you're finally following my lead and reporting those businesses with unsavory business practices to the BBB. Yay!!! Go Kathi!

I hope the auto body shop can get Ole Yeller up and running again.

Mmm...baked goods. MMM..mmm..mmm. Enjoy the family visit.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I sure hope that letter helps and they fix the car without charging you!! From the way it looks on my end, it sounds as though they are at fault.

I'm glad that ya'll are having family over for dinner, I hope that ya'll have a really great time. And I know all about the Star Wars craze, my boys are obsessed (so was there father when he was little, so it must be in their blood!) Merry Christmas Kathi!!!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure hope that letter helps and they fix the car without charging you!! From the way it looks on my end, it sounds as though they are at fault.

I'm glad that ya'll are having family over for dinner, I hope that ya'll have a really great time. And I know all about the Star Wars craze, my boys are obsessed (so was there father when he was little, so it must be in their blood!) Merry Christmas Kathi!!!!) Merry Christmas Kathi!!!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Bah Humbug. It's not Christmas until I see kathi in a tube top on the Holiday edition of cops asking the cops why her son's car is not running with a smoke in one hand and a 40 oz of colt 45 malt liquor in the other...haha. Ok, kidding..have a nice holiday season.

7:31 PM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

Nice letter, I hope you get a response.


I know church is important to you, but to ME, when people advertise the 'christian' part of their business, instead of just their reputation, be wary. They're usually scamming.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Sorry to hear about the automotive woes. It just does not seem fair.

Great letter - hope you get a good response.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I'm still praying for you and the car situation.

I know you will enjoy the holidays, regardless, in classic Kathi style.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

:) :) :)

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are moving in a positive direction there might still be hope for the "Big Comfy Couch" I miss that car, we always seemed to be laughing when you drove BCC. Happy memories. How about some pictures of the now famous cruiser.
Merry Christmas Kathi, Casey and Charlie.
Miss you!

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when pop would drive that car into town from Indiana. Sorry that you've had to repair so much in it, but memories will last forever. HAVE A MERRY XMAS!!


XOXO
ABI

11:01 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Sweetie! Just in case I don't talk/blog/e-mail to you between now and then...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

I hope the letter helps but if not do you all have a television station that handles poor service like that? We do and we just threaten folks that we are calling Elliot Davis of channel 2 and we get what we need. If they don't have a consumer help show, maybe you can publish that letter but tell them and maybe they will not want the bad publicity. I pray the matter is taken care of. Still, I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Merry Christmas!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

I think you did a good job....

8:56 AM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

Goodness! That's awful! I hope they are offering you something reasonable!

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home