.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, December 11, 2006

'Tis The Season

For those keeping score (pun), two weeks ago the Allen Eagles beat Round Rock in Waco. I can't even remember the score, but the entire game was way too close with us behind a few times and I thought my heart was going to stop beating too many times. This past Saturday we played Spring Westfield in Nacogdoches and we won in overtime. So needless to say (but apparently I'll say it all the same), it was an excellent game! I've got to say, Westfield was one of the most unsportsman~like teams we've played. Their conduct was unbelievable on and off the field. They got called on it a few times, but still it's sad what they're instilling into their students. This next Saturday we play Southlake Carrol and the winners of the teams playing this coming Saturday play for State in San Antonio on the 23rd. The boys and I do love San Antonio. :) So, if y'all would be so kind, one more time please....GOOOOO EAGLES!!!

Christmas is close, just a couple of weeks away. I've got all my shopping done, and always do by November usually, but still...it's sad when it gets so close because the best part of Christmas is the celebration leading up to it. People are singing to themselves in stores, families are working together putting up lights, trees and decorations. There is a common theme every where you go, and you automatically feel like you are a part of something. It's a good time of year.

The boys and I love to give. There were many years when we weren't able to give, even though we wanted to. We believe the best part of Christmas is giving. Not just to each other, because the joy you get seeing someone opening something you gave them is, in itself, for you as well as for them. I'm talking about the anonymous giving. The toy drives, the food drives, the clothing drives...all the things that we're so blessed to have always had enough of in our home. Trust me on this, when I say we've always had enough of...many times it was because we were blessed by others, such as relatives and friends, that had great 'lightly used' items to pass along to the boys. We've been greatly blessed.

The other day, Charlie saw the game 'Operation' in the store, and remembered how much fun he and Casey use to have playing it when they were little. He bought the game to give at one of the toy drives, Toys for Tots. Later that day when we dropped it off for him, he said "It's pretty cool knowing that Christmas day, some kids are going to be playing that game and laughing just like Casey and I use to when we played it". There are times when you're a parent that you are more proud than others...this was one of those times that brought tears to my eyes. I love my kids so much.

As hard as it is to believe, I once again got off track here. :) My point being that it's a great thing to give, and it's honestly as much for ourselves as it is for the one that receives. There are so many parents out there that have no idea how they're going to give their kids anything to open on Christmas morning. There are also toys at Wal-mart or Big Lots that cost as little as a cup of coffee from Starbucks, a movie rental, or a couple of beers. Please, help spread the joy...if it means anything at all, know that I'll be proud of you, too.

10 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

What a great message to be spreading to everyone this Christmas!! I feel the same way, giving to others, whether it is your time or money, is more rewarding than anything else in the world!!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

kathi: Go Eagles! And wonderful message, sweetie.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Eagles!!

My family has an interesting tradition for Christmas. We do volunteer work on Christmas Day.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

It is fun to give. Erik's little school is short on boots this winter, so we will be going through his closet this week.

I love the story about Charlie and the Operation game. :)

This is the first year I have enjoyed the stuff leading up to Christmas to this degree. It's so much fun!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

It's great watching your loved ones' eyes widen when they see a gift that came from you...from your heart! You're truly a blessing Kath!

{{hugs}}

Love you!xxoo

6:01 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

That Charlie is one cool kid. That story should be in one those commercials that make you want to cry.

Hope you get that trip to San Antonio!

8:58 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ yup, I'm with you 100%. I'll bet your house is pretty exciting this time of year!

leesa ~ thanks ever so much :)

epsilonicus ~ thanks for the encouragement!! Your family is the absolute coolest.

nancy ~ trust me, with kids...each year it just gets better and better and better. Every year is the best year yet.

9:56 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ yeah, it is. I hope to see that some this year.

anne ~ he is pretty cool, isn't he? Man, I'm sure hoping we do too!!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Dizzie said...

I prefer to give then to receive. Hope this isn't going to be misread (but I doubt it's one of those blogs! ;D). And all my friends seem like such alturists - one Christmas, I bought each a tree in the rainforrest - I paid a lot of money, got a certificate and everything from a valid charity fundation... and I was completely sure my friends, the world-savors, would be happy... yeah, not so much. Alturistic is something most people are as long as it doesn't affect themselves.

Then there are geniunly kind people. Guess which cathegory I place you in! :)

1:24 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

heart ~ that is such a cool gift, it's not like naming a star after them or something, it's something that honestly makes a difference. Sponsoring a child for a year in someone elses name would be a great gift too! What a cool idea! Thanks sugar!!
Oh, and thanks for the kind words darlin, you're very special. Love you much!

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home