.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Story of Old Yeller












So, this is the car that Christian Brothers didn't fix.

We have Coley at Bankston Ford in Frisco to thank for putting the new engine in and making it run like a brand new car. Thanks, Coley, gotta give you some praise guy, you're one heck of a mechanic and we greatly appreciate how available you have made yourself to us and for your honesty.
We also have Ray Huffines Chevrolet in Plano to thank for the new engine. Not a rebuilt, a new engine at an excellent price.


Christian Brothers probably wasn't responsible for Casey's car losing the oil, or for the engine locking up, or for any damage that may have been caused as a result. There isn't anyway to tell, and I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt than to falsely accuse. I can say that I did not appreciate the way we were treated, the many, many times they changed their mind on what they would and wouldn't do for us, for attacking my personal relationship with God because I'd contacted Corporate and the Better Business Bureau for help when they'd told me that there was nothing they'd do for me, or for condemning my right to write whatever I want, especially since every word I write is true, on my blog. Yes, Corporate had apparently became aware of my blog because they keep an eye on what is written about them on the internet...at least that's the way the head of our local Christian Brothers explained it to me as he turned his monitor on and revealed my blog on his computer in his office. As for ever hearing from Corporate regarding the letters and the faxes I'd written them, I never had any type of response from them. None.
Christian Brothers first told Casey and I that we had two options; take the car 'as is' after they lubed the locked engine generously and got the engine running, and they wouldn't charge us for the tow to get the car to their shop or for the work they'd put into it to get it running, or for a little under $1000 they'd try to repair the rod bearings, but couldn't guarantee that would solve anything. I told them I'd like a new engine put in the car and they printed off an estimate for that too for near $2500. That was the option Casey and I wanted. They told me they'd work with me to pay it off, that I could pay for it as I had it and Casey and I left there that day feeling hopeful... really hopeful.
A couple of days later they called and asked us to come in again. We went back in and they told us they'd changed their mind about putting the engine in, that it was an old car and there were other things that could go wrong with it, like tires (yeah), or the transmission, brakes, whatever. We still wanted a new engine put in and was told that if we did that, I'd have to pay for it within 90 days. So, we decided to cash Casey's saving bonds in to get the engine.
Another couple of days go by and they call and asked us to come in again. This time we're told that they will not put an engine in it, period. They told us that if we'd take the car and just go (and drop the claim against them with the Better Business Bureau) they'd give us $400, or or we could have them replace the rod bearings which may or may not fix it, and they'd knock $400 off it. Even if it didn't fix it, I'd still have to pay $696.89.
So, Casey and I were feeling like we were on some sort of roller coaster.
The next day, another call from Christian Brothers and another option. If we chose to have them repair, replace...whatever, the rod bearing and it didn't fix it, we wouldn't have to pay them anything. If it did fix it, we paid the $696.89.
By this time, we didn't trust them to do anything and frankly, just thought we'd better get the car, the $400 and call it quits before they changed their minds again.

Casey's dad got a trailer and had it hauled to where he knew of Coley, a mechanic at Bankston Ford in Frisco, who would be able to do it at the dealership and they were able to get the engine from Huffines in Plano. Everything came together great.

Thanks for all your prayers, thoughts and inquiries about Casey's car. Every time I drive this car, I'm so jealous. Katy and I were laughing about it last night, it's honestly like sitting on a big, comfy, overstuffed couch, gliding down the road. It feels like it turns with out your having to put any effort into it at all, and it's brakes are excellent. I'd much rather have this car than mine, though I love mine too. It's the exact same car, just not as old.

So, here it is, one more time, for your viewing pleasure and with much thanks and gratitude for all your concern...

Casey and his 1988 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Braugham


21 Comments:

Blogger Read This said...

So, what you are saying is the car is fixed. I am worn out trying to follow all the ups and downs of that old car. Glad to hear your son is happy with it.

7:02 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

tom ~ well, that'st not quite all I'm saying...and in all fairness, you do wear out pretty easy. :) Yup, he's happy with it, and we're all glad about that.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SUCH the pimpin' ride!!!!

Stand back, MTV....

WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :)

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It kind of freaks me out that they pulled your blog up right there. At that point, since everything you put there was true, they should have bent over backwards to help you, because now anyone who googles them is going to end up with an eyeful of bad publicity.

All's well that ends well. I'm glad Casey has his car back.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey stranger, how you been? Well I'm glad to hear that Casey's car if finally fixed, I remember that car, it took us places when we were little and that car has been around for ages, memories, some of the best ones to remember.

xox
Abi

9:02 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Color me freaked out, too. If they are monitoring the internet that closely about what people are saying about them, then something is wrong here. Good riddance!

Okay, I LOVE the car! Thanks for sharing the photos.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

this story is way too crazy......man......that is a sweet ride though.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Gosh...what a story...kind of makes your head spin...you all have been through a lot..it must have been very hard.
But, casey has his car back, and that is wonderful...it is such a great car!

Life sure can be a challenge at times!
I find my life lately to be the case, but if I pray to God...I can do whatever needs to be done!
I know God is one your side too Kathi...
Take good care!

Margie

12:14 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

I think its hilarious that they pulled up your blog. Not that they care or anything but I just moved pretty freaking close to the one in Garland and I will NEVER take my car there. NEVER. And I would have been tempted before because they seem like a nice Christian place. Maybe next time I need a fix I will take it to Coley instead!

That is a sweet car. I sure miss my first car. It was a 78 Buick Regal and it was totally like a couch.

Im glad its working and that Casey is happy with it.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Holy crap! Are you kidding? They gave you grief about writing about the truth? That's ridiculous! I'm glad all this worked out, but I'm wondering if all this was worth it!!! 1988???? I hope you didn't put a lot of money into this girl! You coulda' got a whole new car for less! Tell Charlie I said hi!!! I hope he's still into his music - waiting for his next vlog! I keep checking!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am so glad that he has gotten his car back. I can't believe everything they put you through. Hopefully your car trouble days are over!!

7:14 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

wes ~ lol.

3 c ~ yeah, it surprised both Casey and I. He'd sat there the whole time with my blog on his computer, but had the monitor turned off till he reached behind him and turned it on...'surprise'.

abi ~ yup, it's been with us for awhile...like you :)

nancy ~ it was a bit freaky. Thanks, Casey loves the car too.

johnny ~ sweet it is, give Frodo a hug from all of us!

margie ~ thanks, and I'm praying for God to help you through all of your challenges too. You're a precious person.

anne ~ well, the one we went to wasn't in Garland, you know. I'm sure they're all different, but I am disappointed in their Corporate involvement, or lack of involvement.
Glad you're in your home, hope you're keeping warm darlin!

deb ~ LOL, yup, a 1988...a classic! I couldn't have bought a new car, or even a decent used one for what I paid. Even if I'd found one close to what I paid ( a used one ), it'd not been anywhere near as safe to drive, this thing is a tank, and it'd not be in as good condition. Now, as it is, the engine has a great warranty, and a used car doesn't come with one.
Charlie, doesn't get on the puter much except to download tabs to play. Playing a lot of music though.

7:35 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ thanks for caring, y'all have been so thoughtful!

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you finnaly got the car fixed. It took a while but at least you got it done properly.

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like Christian Brothers has a lot to be paranoid about if they are paying someone to google their name on a daily basis. The sad part is that, you never got a call from Christian Brothers Corp. You actually contacted them directly by mail and brought them up to speed on what had happened. So they google thier name to see what is being said about them, it's how they use the information that matters. Word of mouth has a whole new meaning when we are talking about the web. I wonder just how good they are feeling about the 400.00? It does scare me a little to know that you were considering spending more money with them to "Make THEIR mistake right!" They should have done the right thing. Because I know you , you would have told the world what a great job they did if they had made this right.
In the end Casey had to use what little money that he had put away for college.
CHRISTIAN BROTHERS dropped the ball on this one big time!

11:57 AM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

3Carnations is right, and I believe that you're telling the truth about Christian Brothers. I'm glad it has all ended well.

3:07 PM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

Oh my goodness girl. I'm gald that it's all over and the car is back and running. What a mess!

4:17 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

epsilonicus ~ agreed!

katy ~ there isn't any proof it was their fault, but I'm glad you're in my corner!!

amanda ~ thanks darlin'.

kidd ~ I'm glad it's all over with too. It was a mess, but he's got the car he wanted and it's in great shape...and we never have to go back to that place again. That's the best part of it!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

Kathi
Thanks for the prayers!
It means so very much!
You are precious also!

Margie

4:56 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Well, look at Ole Yeller. He's up and running again. Very cool!

Don't you just love how responsive businesses act once the BBB steps in your behalf? I'm glad you took the money and ran away from Christian Brothers. They're shifty and devious. I can't believe they got an attitude with you because they read your blog.

10:27 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Ehh..anything might have caused the engine to lock up, the pump even...but the way you were treated, the changing of stories...that's just wrong!
God Bless you and Charlie for all you went thru to get Old Yeller back on the road! ^5!!!

4:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home