.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, April 17, 2006

Called To Serve

I've been called to serve our country. Yup, jury duty. Again. It's only my second time, but I have a 100% record of being chosen so far. Last time it was for a public intoxication case. The state had video, witnesses, voice recordings, breath test analysis, etc. Seems pretty cut and dried, but there are those that live for this sort of thing, something where they can make a difference, where they've got a locked room of people who have to listen to them. Add some fire and gnashing of teeth, you've got my vision of hell. My problem is that I will not talk over people, and that usually puts me in the minority. That doesn't mean that I'm easily persuaded, I'm pretty stubborn, but I do listen to reason. When I can find it. There were two women on the jury last time that, for whatever reason, did not want to go home. They wondered if perhaps he was on medication that could give a false positive on the breath analysis. I figured if he'd been on meds, his attorney (which wasn't court appointed, and yeah, that'd made a difference to me) would have mentioned it. But they wanted to know, and we waited for two hours to find out that if it wasn't introduced at trial, it couldn't be considered. Where had I heard that before? Oh yeah, from the other 10 jurors. But, this was just one of the many ways they found to keep their 10 new best buddies locked in a room with them for 6 hours. You know you have problems when someone on the jury is wondering what they'll serve us for lunch at 9 a.m., or wondering where they would put us up at if it went overnight. What?? If I'm told I'd have to share a room overnight with a stranger you might as well lock me up now, because I'm not going. Okay, granted, there are a few strangers I might be tempted to get to know better, but I'm not going there right now. Or there either, and especially not there !
So, tomorrow I'll be fighting rush hour traffic, to sit with a hundred or so of our nations finest (a girl can dream) just waiting for their chance to serve their country. I'm hoping that, if chosen, I'll be in a crowd of 12 that have an actual life to get home to, who listen well and if there is a control freak in the midst, please limit it to one. I just need to pack my ipod, a good book and a vicodin or two. Nope, no need to worry about me. :)

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ye ole jury duty.... congrats!

Unfortunately.... or fortunately I guess, I was still in colege for both times I was selected. I wouldn't mind it now as much though. Have fun (just not with the traffic) :)

7:47 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

Well...good luck with that...and if chosen...keep us up to date on what's for lunch.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

Nice post....lol. (Trying to keep it G-rated...) Aaaahhh....feel the need to make a penis reference...cannot keep it clean...LOL. Hey, good luck...hopefully you will get a case that will challenge rather than bore.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

They never pick me for jury duty. As if I am some kind of revolutionary!

9:52 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

i've never even been picked to show up and try out let alone actual jury duty

i think it might be fun

ONCE!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

I've seen some unique ways of getting out of jury duty. Being a complete jerk/racist is one...LOL. It all depends on the case, but it seems like a drag. Good Luck...and if it doesn't fit, YOU MUST ACQUIT!!

10:46 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

wes ~ yeah, it's not so bad if you have a day available and need an extra $6.

11:29 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

mike ~ I'll do my best.

cm ~ I know you just can't help yourself. Let me know when you start back up (your own blog, I mean :) )

11:31 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

leesa ~ probably afraid you'd distract the other jury memebers somehow. :) I look safe, I suppose, as are the questions they ask me.

sass ~ yeah, fun is where you make it. Like I said, taking a bag with me. :)

johnnie ~ I've seen those people too. Can't really tell if they're dressing and acting that way to get out of it, or if that's just them.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

You should show up as the REAL "Puffin", and the judge could say "Who is this Clown?" ROFL

12:53 PM  
Blogger HuneeB said...

I have gotten the letter twice bt have yet to be picked yet...they haven't gotten to my number so I haven't even been considered. I think it might be fun to do once or twice, it is way diff for me though since the Courthouse is like 4 blocks away...no fighting traffic of anything out of the norm..just parking sux you have to get there a little early.

1:49 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

I was on a jury once and I really enjoyed it..it was a medical malpractice and pretty interesting..but I really dont have a desire to do it again. I hope you get out of it!

1:52 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

puffin ~ yeah, I'm kind of hoping for snow tomorrow, not looking good.

johnnie ~ and who is the "real" puffin?

huneeb ~ it was interesting enough. I was taking some classes in criminal justice at the time, so it was kinda cool to see it in the process.

anne ~ I'm not really looking to get out of it. It is sorta interesting, really. Just makes for kind of a long day with no idea of how long it takes.

3:11 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

yeah for all you know you could end up on some shitty month long case... and that would really mess with your life

i hope it's a day trip!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Why do I always ignore my jury duty notices? I think I've received 5.

I don't think I have to right personality for jury duty. I don't ever want to be locked in a room full of strangers that I have a differing opinion that I.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Brea said...

I've never been called - knock on wood. Hopefully there aren't any strange people trying to escape their lives.

7:58 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

sass ~ it won't be...it won't be...it won't be, LOL.

shawn ~ are you serious? How do you not get called on that, they always say theres a fine and stuff.

brea ~ I hadn't either till a few years ago, this is my 2nd time. My hubbys been called 1/2 dozen times, but never been picked.

8:38 PM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

Kathi, they can't prove you got it. That's what I've heard.

In the past 18 months I have been called twice.

Mom filled out the first online sign in forms, and LOL I got a response letter like 15 minutes later saying I was excused.

The second one I filled out, it was almost 12 months to the date that I got the second one. I ended up having to go in that day. GRRR, it was suposed to be my frist day at my new job. It was a DUI case. I got out because my bio mat. grandmother was killed by a drunk driver.

I just found my $6 check the other day. LOL!

Now my county pays something like $45 per day.

Good luck with it!

8:57 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

$45, really? Hey, that could buy me a decent lunch. Here's hoping!

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home