.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Any Sharp Instrument Will Do

So it's no big deal that Charlie loses his breakfast on the living room carpet this morning. Powdered donuts and milk, I can clean that up *gagging*. But when his throat begins to close up and he's telling me he can't breathe, all I can think of is how do they poke those holes in peoples throats in all those hospital shows?? Seriously, I'm looking for an ink pen to poke a hole in his throat. He's gasping, can't talk and running to the kitchen. I'm trying to decide what I should do first, dial 911 or look for something sharp to stab a hole in my kids throat. Am I good in an emergency or not? Here comes Charlie running back into the living room, one hand around his throat and holding paper towels with the other. The kid can't breathe and he's worried about cleaning up his vomit.
I told him to forget about the mess, that I'm calling 911. He's got tears pouring, snot running and with barely an audible voice tells me "NO", to wait. He goes into the bathroom and keeps gagging and occasionally spitting up mucus. I can't believe how quickly this hit him. He's had some sinus drainage for the last few days, but it's that season here. He's never had any serious sinus or allergy problems before.
By now, I'm late picking up his friends for school so I get Casey up (the one morning in a month that he didn't have to go in early to lift weights) and ask him to watch Charlie in the bathroom, and if he gets any worse with his breathing to call 911. I'm surprised I didn't get any speeding tickets taking Charlies buddies to school this morning. Didn't have to remind them to buckle up today, and I had to pry their white knuckles out of my car at the school.
By the time I get home, Charlie is in bed and resting. His throat still feels tight, his voice is barely coming out of him and he can't blow his nose quick enough. The doctors office opened 15 minutes ago, and they're still not answering their phones...GET WITH IT PEOPLE!! Sorry, just a little wired right now. I'm so not good in emergencies.
I was reading 3carnations blog yesterday about her toddler being sick and I told her that I remembered how scary it was when they were that age. It doesn't get any easier.
*** We got back from the doctor. He said that Charlie has tonsillitis and his throat is *gross warning* full of pus. He asked Charlie if his throat has been sore and Charlie said "yeah, but not enough to complain about". The doctor just looked at me and shook his head. Hey, how was I suppose to know if Charlie didn't tell me. But, now I wonder if that's what was starting last week when I picked him up sick from school and kept him home a couple of days.
They gave him a shot in his cute little butt and he has a prescription of antibiotics and stuff for his nausea.
So, guessing it's a good thing I didn't stick a pen in his throat, huh? Yup, y'all can rest easy...all is right with my world again.

18 Comments:

Blogger mikster said...

Ok..I'm choosing to respond to the 1st post here. I always hated it when the kids were sick...especially when you felt there was little you could do to help them out. Hope he gets better quick!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Awww! Kathi...slow down, take a deep breath. If you're ever in doubt like that again, call 911.

I hope you guys both feel better.

I hate trying to post comments here. Your pop up comment window is very temperamental. aaarrggh!

11:14 AM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

Wow - Kathi, I am so sorry to hear that... I can't imagine what that must have been like! Charlie - feel better man!

11:42 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

mike ~ yeah, how'd I get 2 posts up? And you mean you never thought about operating at home on your kids? LOL.

shawn ~ you, my friend, should be the last one to whine about my comment window...I have to sign in and put in one of those hard to read codes before I can comment on yours. But do you hear me complaining???? (love you)

lovelladro ~ You know,it was just me. My hubby wouldn't have been the slightest bit flustered. When I told him I'd thought about opening up his throat so he could breathe, he said 'Oh my God'. He'll probably be afraid to leave me alone with them again.

puffin ~ lol, thanks. And your prayers helped, I'm sure of that.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kathi
Next time call 911 the operator will be able to talk you through the procedure. They do it all the time! JK.
Sounds like Charlie might need to have them removed if he keeps having problems.
Hope Charlie feels better soon!
Good luck with the carpet, milk is the worst. You might get some new carpet out of the ordeal.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way why didn't you send Casy to pick up Charlies friends? Or call the kids parents and say got an emergency here take your own kids this morning. I'm sure when the parents hear about the wild ride with Mrs Bratcher they will gladly take their kids in the future.
Maybe Mark should stay home You do kinda suck in emergencies.jk.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Ok, I was afraid for him when I was reading that one. Glad things have slowed down and worked out. No pen jabbing...

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy cow! I would of had a heart attack or something. I would of called 911, buts that me. Hope he feels better, and make sure he gets some rest. You too! Love ya guys, take care.

xoxo
Abi

3:37 PM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

WOW! Poor guy, bad enough to be choking, but to be choking and to know that your mom is running through the house looking for something to stab you in the throat with.

Glad you didn't do it. Call 911 next time, that's what they are there for.

Feel better Charlie!

3:53 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

katy ~ please see # 2 on my 'What Ticks Me Off' list. :) LOL, hey...you weren't here, don't blame me for not having a back up!! It's not my fault you moved to God forsaken Ohio.

puffin ~ thanks, he's good.

cm ~ yeah, ever want me to babysit Seth for ya?? HEY, ANSWER MY EMAILS!!

abi ~ thanks sweetie, love you too!!

crystal ~ I never thought of it that way, LOL. Maybe that's why he had tears running down his face, LOL.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

Man......this story floored me. I have two friends, that one had to do a Trachiotomy on the other with a pencil. Saved his life. Scariest thing in the world, I imagine. Good thing Charlie was thinking with a clear mind though...LOL. You did good too, mom!

4:59 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

johnnie ~ it scared me for sure. Never considered a medical field, lol, good thing, huh? Foot hurts? Better amputate, then find out his shoe was the wrong size. That's me. It's amazing what your friend did, wow.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

hard to read codes? oh come on! The hyperbole is out of control

10:42 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow Kath, I hope Charlie is feeling better. I had tonsillitis once---and it's just awful!

The WORST thing you can eat while having that is "milk". It increases the muscus by 100% and I believe that's probably what started it. Did the doctor say anything about that? Ugh--awful!

In any event, I'm glad no hole poking was going on and please tell Charlie I hope he feels better! My little rocker friend! :)

9:00 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Wow..scary Kathi..Im glad that Charlie is okay.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I might be time for your family to start hiding the sharp instruments, love. From having a tendency to throat infections, it's much worse in the morning, and it will make one, er, sick.

Glad everything is better.

11:55 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

dude what a sucky morning but can i tell you this has been one of the most entertaining comment reads ever?

also? it's not bad to THINK of doing it, it's bad to do it if your kid is going nonono

k? k

*grin*

11:08 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

oh crap was that advice?

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home