.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Simple Pleasures

I've got time to kill. I mean live...whatever, I've got some free time. Boy's are off to school and I've got a couple of movies to watch, a couple of books to read and a rainy day outside. How much more perfect could it be? Okay, I can think of a couple of ways, but I'm happy with what I've got.
I was fixing some hobos (grilled eggs in bread) for Charlie this morning and I was laughing out loud watching 2 of my cats playing with 2 of my dogs. Charlie came in to see what I was laughing at and he called me silly...but he started laughing at them too. I was thinking about how glad I am that the simple things make me happy.
Later, after I had taken Charlie and his buddies to school, I was talking to Casey while he sat on the stairs to his room. He was putting on his shoes while we watched Gato (our latest kitten) knock things off of his railing. We kept laughing at the kitten, and then when Gato got down and crawled under Casey's legs, Casey started petting him. This kitten has the loudest purr we've ever heard. Casey asked me if I could hear it and we sat and just listened to him purr for several minutes. What a simple thing and yet it was precious time between my son and I.

I'm thinking there are so many that would call me the most boring person to ever draw breath. That's okay, I enjoy boring. My favorite times revolve around simple things. I'm not an adrenaline junkie anymore...I'm just glad that I lived through those times. I'm sure that having lived through those times help me appreciate what I've got now. I don't have a lot of the drama that most people have. Never had problems with my kids. Granted, they're only 15 and 16, but so far they've never disrespected my husband and I in any way. My husband and I have never had one knock down and dragged out fight in 22 years. I could probably count the number of times we've even raised our voices to each other...that is if my memory was better.
I've had friends tell me that I wouldn't understand what they go through because of how good my life is. Well, the way my life is isn't an accident. I've been through hard times...Mark and I have been through hard times and my kids are normal kids...they've gone through the normal things that kids go through. I think the difference is how we deal with what we're given and that we have always found joy in the simple things like each other, laughter, a kitten purring, a rainy day...
Hope you find your simple pleasures today, regardless of what comes your way.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago, I remember, on a camping trip with hubby, us both stopping everything for about 10 minutes to watch a caterpillar. I think it all comes down to that phrase about stopping to smell the roses. Now our "rose smelling" time is in watching our toddler son as he amazes us on a daily basis with what he does and learns.

9:57 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

3carnations ~ I have a lot of those memories too, and the ones of when my boys were toddlers. Enjoy!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Adrenaline junkie---that’s the perfect word to describe my life a few years back. It’s exciting, yet awfully taxing on you mentally and physically. I had the most anxiety and heart palpitations while in a turbulent relationship and partying way too much. It took its toll.

Now—just drinking a cup of coffee watching the sunrise is my type of excitement. Talking to my girlfriend over breakfast is my “high” now.

It’s great to see you appreciate so much around you. It’s sad when others can’t see their own blessings…

11:32 AM  
Blogger HuneeB said...

Kathi I don't think you are boring rather I enjoy reading about your life. And I too belive that joy is found in the little things. :) It's the little things that make life so great!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on enjoying the simple things in life. I don't think it's about being boring or not, it's just who we are. It's what we do.

Enjoy your day surrounded with the things you love.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Kathi..your day seemed so peaceful. Not boring at all..peaceful. Im jealous...

3:45 PM  
Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Kat you are in no way boring! After all, I love the fact that you were a female bartender. You can't get more exciting than that! LOL!

4:11 PM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

Kathi, lovely post. Hope you have a wonderful evening too!

6:03 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

oh what a lovely post. i needed to read it today too so i'm a little extra grateful it's there.

also? your kids now are a reflection of the way they were raised, you should be proud of yourselves if your kids are sane and togehter...

i think maybe you are while realising that you're never done striving to be better...

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

People who mistake peacefulness with boredom usually have something missing. It's a blessing to be content. And you earned yours. I'm glad you're there.

:)

7:16 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ you and I, same road. Love you.

huneeb ~ thanks. I agree with you completely. :)

nikki ~ I love that 'it's who we are, it's what we do'...I don't know why, but I like that!

anne ~ You'll get there babe. I promise.

stacy d ~ it was one of my favorite jobs, can't beat the money either. Well, maybe a stripper can. :)

crystal ~ right back at'cha cutie!

sass ~ you always make me smile...stop that!...j/k, but you do, and I appreciate you.

sabel ~ thank you! I'm glad too!

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's an idea for a simple pleasure.... how about listening to the song "Simple Life" by Carolyn Dawn Johnson? That's a two-fir :)

8:52 PM  
Blogger DZER said...

simple pleasures are the best ... about to head to my barber for a head shaving and neck massage ... one of my indulgences ;)

1:28 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

I always find the humor, fun or joy in simple things. That's one of the reason I loved Seinfeld. The most memorable times I've had with friends revolved us really not doing much.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Trailady said...

I loved this post!! It really struck a chord with me. How well I remember the simple pleasure of listening to the cat purr. I wake every morning to my black cat, Pepper laying beside me purring. I love him so!!
I actually wrote a song about simple pleasures as I enjoy them too. I'm still an adrenaline junkie at the gym though... :o)

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home