.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Saturday, March 25, 2006

After School Special

If any of you have read Charlie's blog, you'll know that Friday after school he had some kids over to video preparing and eating a three course meal for their speech class. One boy, Jake, was to make the appetizer, nachos. A sweet girl, Ashley, was to make a chicken dish with pasta and Charlie was making desert, a white cake.
When they arrived, around 4:30 ish, they didn't have a clue what was going on so they talked and laughed for about 1/2 an hour to get comfortable and set things up. Ashley asked me if there was somewhere she could thaw the chicken. WHAT? I filled the sink up with some cool water and told her to put it in and if it wasn't thawed when she was ready for it that we'd thaw it in the microwave, which for the record, I don't feel comfortable with. Granted, I don't cook...and I wasn't going to be eating it. But isn't chicken suppose to be one of those things that you have to make sure is thawed and cooked correctly?
Anyway, three teens in the kitchen and none of them have any cooking experience. Well, Charlie cooks a little and I knew he could make a cake by himself, so I hadn't really worried. However, the other two apparently hadn't had any experience.
When we make nachos, we always make them in the microwave. Jake wanted to broil them and I heard him say to set the timer for 5 minutes. I told him he may not want to broil them that long, and got a look from him and Charlie (plus, they were video taping it on giving instructions as they cooked) so I excused myself to the back of the house and asked them to just please keep an eye on things.
Mark comes home and finds me, we talk for awhile and decide to order out since our kitchen is being used. By this time it is 6 ish, so we walk toward the front of the house and in the hall leading to the kitchen we are confronted by smoke. I'm not exaggerating, you could barely see beyond your nose. While the nachos had been broiling, they put the chicken (I didn't even bother to ask if it had thawed, I no longer cared) in a pan and tried cooking it...on high heat. When the pan began smoking they kind of forgot about the nachos. Of course, the kid cooking the nachos was filming the pan burning and probably was too distracted by the smoke to remember the nachos under the broiler, or to be able to tell that the smoke wasn't only coming from the burning pan...but the oven as well. The only thing that had been edible was Charlie's cake. It was really good. The last kid left our house around 8 ish, and I've got to say that I was pretty surprised. The kitchen was spotless, the oven had been cleaned, the trash taken out (all the charred, and yet raw on the inside, chicken and flame broiled nachos had been trashed) and we still had cake to eat. Now, who could complain about that?
After it was all said and done, Charlie said he had had fun. That's all I cared about. Well, that and that we hadn't ended up having to find out what our insurance deductible for fire was. Always a plus.
I may try to put some of the video up from it.
I couldn't help but notice that Charlie had failed to mention this on his blog this morning. He'd told me he'd written two new posts, and I thought he'd mentioned something about the cooking video. But nope, he'd went with a new song he'd wrote, something about "Die, Die, Die"...
Oh, my Charlie...he sure knows how to make his mom proud. I'd not go back to being 15 again for anything in the world!

15 Comments:

Blogger Nabeel said...

speech class haan .. nice is he going to give an informative speech or a persuasive speech?

1:00 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

"Let them eat cake!" seems to fit perfectly here ...

3:15 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

nabeel ~ it's an instructional video (supposedly on cooking, lol), so let's go with informative.

dzer ~ smart guy, huh? If it wasn't so expensive, I'd send all three of them to Guam and let them use your kitchen. Video that on your new 5.2, my friend.

6:12 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

As long as fun was had and the fire department wasn't needed all sounds good.

8:13 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

kathi: well ... I would happily show them how to cook ... and how to properly treat a frozen chicken ...

oh ... and charlie's old enough for a tattoo ... and I'm sure he'd like to meet some of my dancer friends too ... so go ahead and send them all over! LOL

11:31 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

dzer ~ PURE EVIL EXISTS AND IT'S NAME IS DZER

12:13 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

15 was great fun. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Why don't you feel comfortable cooking anything in the kitchen?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Quick thawing a chicken doesn't sit with me either Kath, but I give your son credit for being interested in cooking at least.

1:20 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

shawn ~ 15 was a miserable age for me and the kitchen...a loaded question babe.

deb ~ yeah...that scared me and I'm glad it all ended up in the trash. I'm glad my boys are both able to cook, they take after their dad who took after his dad. And deb, I really appreciate you, thanks so much for making a difference with Charlie. He's really taken with you.

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All's well that ends well ! :-) at least they didnt set fire to your place !

oh and I think i'd give a lot to be 15 again

cheers

10:34 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Ok, unload the answer

8:58 AM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

Little did you know that the two other kids are aspiring film makers and this all went according to plan.

Thanks for checking in, kid. You're right, I now have three, count em, three businesses to try and get off the ground while trying to find humor in all of it to write about. I thought for a second I'd lost you there. Glad I was wrong.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smoke, fire, burned chicken and nachos? Are you sure you weren't involved in this? *please don't shoot me* lol

11:27 PM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

Sounds like a very eventful evening. Sounds like me in the kitchen.

12:48 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

tbg ~ yeah, it ended great and it was great that it ended. :)

shawn ~ in an e, not on here. :)

tom ~ you couldn't lose me unless you run reeeaaaallll fast.

nikki ~ KMA, you little snot! LOL.

crystal ~ cool pic! Yeah, we're a lot a like.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home