.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Spring Break

It's spring break here. Yup, we're 'breaking'. Gotta love the breaks where you don't really go anywhere and it's just some free time to catch up on things.
Monday we had Charlies orthodontist appointment and they put eight spacers in his mouth to get some room for the braces they put on next Monday. I never had braces as a kid, so I don't really know what he's going through, but his mouth hurts. He doesn't want to eat anything but soup. Though I question that, being as how when Marko and I got up this morning the peanut butter was in the fridge and there was jelly all over the counters. Charlie isn't the neatest kid...yet (I'm not done with him). But, I'm thinking it's going to be a whole lot more uncomfortable next week when he gets the braces in. Mark and I had wanted him to get the "invisible" braces, but he wants the metal kind. It's a rage here...go figure. When I was a kid...oh, who cares. Anyway, you can get colors to put on them and Charlie wanted black, 2 weeks ago. Last week he decided he wanted red. This week he's talking red and black. Yeah, the next 2 years will be a lot of laughs.

Yesterday was my day devoted solely to the Sears Repairman. My dishwasher (it turns one on the 22nd) quit draining, and I'm one of the few people that always get the extended warranties...and use them. :) Anyway, Sears gave me an 8 a.m. ~ 10 a.m. window. He got here at 3:30 p.m., and so went my day. One good thing about having kids old enough to pass for young adults, though, is that I can leave them to handle things if I want to run out. I ran a couple of times.

Saturday, Casey told us he couldn't find his cell phone. He thought he may have left it in his athletic locker. Well, since school is out, that's hard to check. Two years ago, Casey put his phone down at the edge of a basketball court while he played ball with some buddies, and his phone got jacked. He was scared to tell us, and before he finally did there was nearly $300 of calls and downloads made to his phone. He paid for half of it, but it was a lesson learned. Fortunately, I had bought the insurance and the phone was replaced, but we had to pay the $300 bill. So, when he can't find it this week end, we panic slightly. Well...Mark found it Sunday, in the dryer as he was doing laundry. Apparently, they're not wash and wear. Oh, it works, except that when people call, he can't hear them speaking. Today we're back to Sprint...yup, warranties and insurance...always used at the Bratcher home.

I don't know if I told y'all about Charlie auditioning and getting accepted with the youth church band. Charlie plays guitar, mostly stuff by System of a Down, Megadeth, AC/DC, Metallica...you get the idea. So when he auditioned, that's what he played. LOL. But they liked him. Of course, our church's music is Christian rock...pretty heavy, itself, at times. The only thing, though, is that the only music Charlie can read is tabs. They want him to learn to read music...as in chords. Charlie has never had any music lessons, he's taught himself. He's also writing his own music and songs now. He's pretty awesome. Yeah, I'm his mom...so?? We're looking into music lessons for him, and I'm buying him all these books and videos. I'm just thrilled that he got into a band that I don't really have to worry about cheaply dressed groupies...have you seen 15 year old girls lately? He is the youngest guy in the band, though. They're mostly in their 20's, and a couple are married...so, I'm thinking he's safe. Safety, first and foremost. :)

Anyone watch AI last night? I'm only really impressed with a couple of people, but I can't remember AI ever having so many people that you really like. I mean, it's easy to care about these contestants this year. They've pretty much got rid of the ones that I wanted to slap around, and even though I know they're not exceptional singers (yeah, okay...I'll go with mediocre even), I still hate to see them get voted off. And while I'm on the subject of t.v., I haven't watched The Shield from last night yet, but I can't help but fall head over heels for James Spader sometimes on Boston Legal, and last night was one of those times. This show never lets me down, love it.

So, that's about it for me...so far today, anyway. After hitting Sprint for Caseys phone, I'm thinking we'll take in a movie, if the guys don't have plans of their own. All my guys went to see The Hills Have Eyes last Sunday after church (it's okay to snicker) while I stayed home with my Gato, but I'd kind of like to see it. So, we may go to the movies (they can go see whatever they want, but I think they want to see it again). I saw The Libertine last week, with Johnny Depp. Wow, amazing film. I've loved Johnny Depp since 21 Jumpstreet (yeah, I'm that old), and this isn't a movie where he looks good, and the guy does look good to me...back to my point. The guy can act, even though the film has gotten bad reviews, it's a good film. It is hard to watch because it makes you feel like it's on cheap or bad quality of film...but it was an indie film, I think, and that's what they were going after. I think they nailed it. I loved it.

I think I've posted enough without having said anything...so go on now, be about your own business and enjoy your day.

28 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Church rock band...definitely best of both worlds for your family. He gets the excitement of being able to say "I'm in a rock band" and you get the reassurance of saying "He's in the church band".

I've never quite gotten used to the christian "rock" music. I like the upbeat praise music best, and hubby tends to prefer hymns...

7:46 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

I will not talk about the Shield, but hurry and watch it. What a great mom you are. Lucky kids. Did you have the wood braces? Or when you were a kid they were just starting to forge metal? Haha...sorry...I had to.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spring Break? What is that, JK, its just been so long since Ive been out of school, or had a vacation. I get one this July. Enjoy your time off, and the kids. So does Charlie and Casey recommend "The Hills Have Eyes"? I love scary movies. Oh have you seen "Alexander"? Collin Ferrell? I havent and I really want to.

xoxo
Abi

8:17 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

First off, I have to comment on the braces. The clear ones make your teeth look yellow. I agree with Charlie about getting the metal. Much better choice. (I think…)

Extended warranties are great for a few items like plasma TVs and appliances---which you got…remember, when a repairman has to come in again to fix something—you will pay for labor and parts. Labor being like $50 each half hour! I’m tellin’ ya---it’s worth the $$$.

I am just like Charlie when it comes to the guitar. I have been playing since I was ten years old. I play by ear, and I know tabs. I can’t read that other garbage because it’s all Greek to me. Do you know the best musicians can’t read music? When I was in a bad years ago- I just picked it up right away. I’m sure Charlie does the same thing. He just listens to something and picks it up. It’s like when you have bad eyes----you ‘hear’ better.

Last night AI wasn’t that great. The only one I was impressed with was Mandisa sp? and another brunette girl with that maternity dress. You know what I’m talking about…(lol) But…Chicken Little needs to find a nice little accounting job somewhere. Am I right, or am I right???

8:40 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

deb: totally agree on the braces but i am forced to disagree on the music. the best musicians that i know do read music. which means we're both right :)

kath: i saw the pilot. the very first episode. i fell in love that moment and never once wavered in the love. johnny depp rocks my world and always will.

brad pitt is for pussies *lmao*

[damm that came out so funny i'm not changing it!]

9:29 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

(btw did you see the ep of jump street that brad pitt guested on? he had the WORST feathered hair ever. :)

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
I have been watching your Boston Legal for 2 or 3 weeks now, got me hooked. Except last night's show pretty much pissed me off.
Soap box time-
I am getting so tired of "Hollywood" cramming their liberal S--t in my face. Last night was rediculous. They turned some tax dodging space cadet blonde into a way for the writers/ producers/ actors to vent their extreme beliefs about the current government.
They managed to get it all in too!
We were lied to, the war is illegal,we torture prisoners of war, illegal phone taps
I guess I shouldn't be so surprised when half of the country watches "Talk Soup" and the "Daily Show" as their sorce of REAL NEWS.
Even the the actual news shows are using hollywood tactics for ratings and the big scoop.
Is it their 1st amendment rights? or are they really just using it as a tool to get to what they really want the almighty dollar!
Our soldiers would be the first ones to tell you that freedom of speech is freedom of speech and if thats how they choose to express it then have at it.
To me it is just so sad that Hollywood uses the sacrifices of our soldiers all in the name of a buck!
I may start exercising my rights with the remote more often!

10:39 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

3 ~ it always surprises me to see the older (60's up) keep coming back every week when we have the music we do.

cm ~ bite me

abi ~ it's not been that long!! Nope, haven't seen Alexander...let me know.

deb ~ really? yellow? I thought they just blended in better. They don't look yellow in the commercials, lol!
You and Charlie, how did I not see that one coming that you two would be so much alike.
On the warranty and insurance...I agree completely. When I got the extended on my camera, and I shut it in the door and the screen on the back shattered, I had a new one in the mail within 2 days! All I had to do was send my broken one back. Very cool.

sassinak ~ I don't remember that episode, they should have 21 on dvd! Even if it would just be the 2 of us buying it, lol. Gotta admit, though...don't meet many JD fans, you just earned major points!!

10:44 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

katy ~ Wow, I don't think I've ever heard you actually 'go off' before. Too much coffee this morning? LOL, yeah, I was thinking that last night too, but don't let it take away from the fact that it's a good show (the angle with the addict daughter, c'mon...more parents should take that, ANY, action) and Spader, wow. Love that man. When she (the ditz) leaned in to kiss him and he told her that was as far as she should go...I nearly had to wake Mark up to play. The guy just gets to me.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just now saw and commented on yesterdays blog. Sorry I didn't like your show last night.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kathi, when he first gets his braces put on, his teeth (or gums) will hurt for about a week. Then he'll get used to it. They only hurt again when they get adjusted. It probably won't feel worse than the spacers.

What's cool now is having and changing colors. Shani loves that. Go figure. Back in my day, they didn't have braces. You wanted straight teeth, you had to put your mouth in a vice. You remember that, right Kathi?

21 Jumpstreet - remember it. I think Fox only had shows 2 days a week. Now Fox only has shows that don't suck 2 days a week

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was pretty impressive a man with impulse control. I got the impression that she was playing him all the way. The way she kept asking him to give one of his big speaches like it turned her on and thats all she really wanted anyway.
I did think that they did a good job with the addict daughter. I thought that she was clean and the father was being controling. I must have missed an episode when she got caught with the drugs.

11:26 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

katy ~ s'okay...I'm use to you not having the best of taste. :)

sable ~ yeah, that's what Charlie tells me, that the colors are interchangeable. And darlin Sable, you and cm can both bite me. :)

katy ~ see, you need to stay CAUGHT UP. Her dad had that Brad guy, the younger lawyer go 'under cover' as a drug addict to see if his daughter was using. Brad kind of fell for her, and she took him to an addict anoyn. meeting and he was convinced she was straight. That's what he told her dad...then he said she'd lost her atm and borrowed $40 from him too...so, her dad knew. He went to her house, said he needed to use the bathroom and searched it...found her needle and junk. Ta Da!! There ya go.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just missed the part about the 40 bucks and dad searching her bathroom.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you saying about my taste as usual you have me confused

2:43 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

katy ~ lol, see how much fun I have with you?? You said you were sorry you didn't like my show last night...and I said it's okay...I'm use to you not having the best of taste...I mean...look at who you pick for friends. :) :)

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just didn't like the show last night. There is nothing wrong with my taste in friends or anything else for that matter! Short of you getting me arrested there isn't much that could make me quit you Kathi Bratcher! lol... a little from "Brokeback Mountain". And I know what your going to say there is still time to get me arrested for something!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

Spring Break? Still cold here honey .. god dang cold.

I love AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" .. mann i so much wanted to see The Libertine .. dangit i couldn't because things came up .. tsk .. was it good? "Ladies an announcement - You will not like me" - quotes from the movie ..

6:25 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

katy ~ quoting Brokeback Mountain...LOL. The only thing funnier than that would be you getting arrested!

nabeel ~ yes, I loved The Libertine. But, like I said, it got bad reviews and I'm one of the few people I know that liked it...but I loved it. Let me know what you think when you see it.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katharine it is. I have been smittened.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its a great thing that your kids learn an instrument - whatever they like - Music somehow is the essence of life and that makes happier people

cheers

10:13 PM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

What? Were you saying something? I was on the phone...

10:46 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

The SHIELD....TALK TO me...ye of the southern drawl....at least you started from the midwest...haha...

11:09 PM  
Blogger DZER said...

so you're one of them warranty people ... wondered who kept buying them things.

oh ... and you should demand some sort of discount or sears credit for them missing the window by THAT much. Who knows ... may the service guy decided to blow off most of the day and called his dispatcher to say you had an all-day problem ... and even if that wasn't the case, they owe you for all that time!

congrats on all the good stuff happening, and glad ya'll found the cell phone ... hate losing them/having them stolen ...

5:06 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

wes ~ good choice...but I missed AI last night and didn't record it...who went?

tbg ~ thanks, me too. I've hired the guy next door to give him piano lessons...he has a baby grand, I have an electric keyboard, lol. Hope he can handle the change.

tom ~ 3rd time for this post...bite me.

cm ~ I'm gonna email you on this, and you're gonna kill me.

dzer ~ yup, I'm the ONE, lol. That would be nice, wouldn't it? Will you call them for me?

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It comes out on Paperview or cable on March 25, I have to watch it and I'll let you know.

xoxo
Abi

8:04 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

I wore braces for 3 years. Charlie is gonna have some painful days but tell him it'll all be worth it once they're removed.

You're one of those people that still watching AI?

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home