.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, March 20, 2006

Real Men Wear Pink

I took Charlie in this morning for his braces. I stayed out in the waiting room, reading a book I'd taken, for about an hour and a half. Charlie comes walking out, big ole grin on his face. I told him to smile, let me see the braces... and he does. He smiles and lets me see his bright neon pink braces. No, I'm not kidding. Pink. Actually, pink doesn't really describe them...you've got to imagine them with the words bright and neon.
I've asked him a couple of times why he chose pink, and he always gives me the same answer...he thinks they are funny. I asked him if he wasn't concerned about kids making fun of him, or calling him gay and he said "NO, I don't care what people think". So, here I am as proud of him as I can be and wanting to smack the crap out of him at the same time.
We go back in 8 weeks to put braces on the bottom teeth. He said he can change them if he wants to, but I wasn't in the room with him, so I don't know that. I'm paying $4,000 to see his sense of humor every time he smiles. As soon as we came home, he took a picture and asked me to put it up on my blog...so here you go. My baby, Charlie...

20 Comments:

Blogger mikster said...

Hey...give him a break kathi....you're raising a well adjusted guy there. I admire him for doing this...nothing like breaking down a barrier..albeit a small one.

Atta boy Charlie!

3:49 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

mike ~ shoulda known. And, hey...I said I WAS proud of him, just that it is in combination with wanting to smack him a bit too. :) He said they had about 6 shades of every color, like 60 choices in all. There is no way you can not LOVE this kid. He's just the best.

3:57 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

Well...yanno...that is something I would have done at his age myself....just saying.....lol

4:08 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

What a cool kid. I don't think I would have done that at his age.

FYI:I re-did my video, it's larger

6:39 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

mike ~ really? I was more of a blend in kind of kid, I guess.

phil ~ thanks, I'm kinda fond of him. I'll be by to check your video!

7:48 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

damn kathi you should be really proud of that kid :)

i'm impressed AND i think his braces are awesome :)

7:55 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Way to go Charlie...I think they are cool..

9:25 PM  
Blogger Clay said...

lol -- that is cool he feels comfortable enough to just be himself

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its awesome that he wants to be himself - its a cool thing

I used to tear my braces out when I was a kid - I managed to get most of my teeth looking ok before I chucked them completely

10:04 PM  
Blogger DZER said...

I love yer kids' attitudes, especially charlie's. Just goes to show what a great job you and the hubby have done in raising them.

and it's OK to smack them now and then ... heh.

2:34 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

EVERYONE ~ Y'all are the absolute best! I'm going to have Charlie read all of your responses before he goes to school this morning and let's the rest of the world see his 'bright neon' smile!

6:12 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

Individuality with a sense of humor? The world will be taken with that kid, whatever he wants to do. Are you sure he's your kid? Playing...Talk to you soon...

8:09 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

cm ~ thank you so much, and yeah....99.93% sure. :)

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME, I LOVE PINK! What made him choose that color? And it's true REAL men do wear pink. Hope your not in too much pain :)

xoxo
Abi

8:35 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Rebellious, I love it. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy would be so proud. (hehe) JUST kidding! I think it’s great that he has the guts to do that!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son is now officially in my list of personal heroes!!

As T.S. Eliot wrote "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." And he just prove that pink braces rules!!

10:16 AM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

Charlie ~ Love the pink braces! You look awesome! Way to be a non-conformist ~ it will suit you well in this world ;~)

12:04 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

abi ~ no darlin, I'm not in pain, he just makes me laugh every time he smiles...pretty much the norm, huh?

deb ~ Charlie...rebellious? Uh...yeah. He is his mothers child.

franc ~ thanks for your support for Charlie. I just spent about an hour on your site and looking at your pictures...awesome doesn't begin to describe it. You're very talented.

lovelladro ~ From your mouth to God's ears. :) And he is a cutie. At 15, he probably won't like me calling him a cutie...lol.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

better him than me. I never ventured into colors when I wore my braces.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! evista rx pharmaceutical

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home