.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, September 23, 2005

Do Not Knock

I'm not a people person (shut up Katy). There are a few that will dispute this, but the majority of those that know me will agree. Frankly, there are just very few people that I meet that I'd care to meet again. I'm a loner, and I have no problem with that. It's not so much that I find my own company better than others, I'm just more comfortable with myself than anyone else. I can count the best friends I've had in my life on one hand (not including my husband and kids). I'm not a phone person, I don't like to shop and I'd rather stay home than go clubbin. So, see? I'm not that much fun to be around anyway.
What I don't understand is, why do people always seem to think that I'm different than I appear? And why do so many seem intent on proving it and try to make me into something I'm not? You see, I have no problem letting the machine answer the phone, the only reason I might check the id is make sure it's not one of my kids or my husband calling. Other than the three of them, frankly, I don't care. I have no problem putting a 'Do Not Knock' sign on my front door. Been doing it since the kids were little and I still do it. Doesn't mean I'm napping or sick...just means 'Do Not Knock'. I'm not faking it and I'm not just shy...I really just like being alone more than having company.
There are a few things about me that people either hate or they love. A few:

I'm brutally honest. Don't ask me for an opinion if you don't want it. Don't get me involved with your personal affairs if you don't want to know what I think. Believe me, unless you live in my house, I don't mind staying out of your affairs anyway.

I don't filter my thoughts. I just don't. Yeah, I should...but I don't. I say what I'm thinking. I would never purposely hurt anyone's feelings, but if I think you're acting like an ass, I'll tell you.

I don't back down. Believe me, sometimes I wish I could. But somewhere along the lines of growing up (around 13 yrs old), I told my mom if she ever hit me again, I'd hit her back and I've haven't backed down since.

I can't be intimidated. This is probably why I work so well with the problem classes. Where some teachers walk out, I enjoy the confrontation because, (see above) I don't back down. I know this isn't a good quality, but I honestly enjoy a good confrontation. I don't yell, I don't get physical and I don't fall back on profanity. In fact, I've learned that the more agitated someone becomes, the more calm I get. It enables me to think clearly.

Tears do not break my heart. Mine break my heart, my kids break my heart because they just don't cry, but others usually tend to be for effect and I don't buy into that plunging stock. It's why I don't like teaching anything below high school. Well, that and the fact that I simply do not like kids. But to be fair, I've made a total of two senior boys cry, one being a football player. Give me a break.

I'm not a fashion person. I like jeans and tee shirts...and my Croc's. Love my Croc's. My Mom-in-law tried for years giving me colorful clothing, dropping statements like 'you should put some color in your wardrobe' and the likes. I wish I could look like my Mom-in-law...or my sister-in-law...beautiful women. But I don't come by that naturally, and I honestly don't like dressing up. I hate wearing make-up (and wear it only when I work or sometimes when I go 'out') because all I want to do is go home and wash my face. I'm not a girly girl. I keep my hair cut short'ish' because I don't like to mess with it. Oh (and my friends can't believe that I do this, but they always love the results) I usually cut it myself. Yup, cut it where I don't like it and I'm good. If it gets to a point where I'm not happy with it, I'll go get it done professionally, but to tell you the truth, I usually like the way I cut it better. I'm a wash n go type of gal.


Wow, I feel better.

7 Comments:

Blogger kathi said...

Too true, darlin, too true.

3:09 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Heather:
LOL, I can handle people on-line, I like them much better on-line than in person. For sure, for sure! But see, where that woman enjoyed whispering loudly about your home, I'd enjoyed calling her out on her being so rude...in the sweetest voice I could muster.

11:47 PM  
Blogger pebblepie said...

Ya sound like my youngest daughter!

1:05 AM  
Blogger bricotrout said...

i definately relate to the loner aspects. i enjoy going to dinner or a movie by myself and actually find it a weakness in others that they have a seious aversion to doing this. i like my company.
were social oddballs, but were in the right! lol

9:40 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

I usually go to the movies a couple times a month by myself. Nice benefit to picking my own days to work and the kids being in school. I'm the only person I know (till now) that enjoys going alone. Thanks for the comment...still trying to think of a new word for your post.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kathi, what a breath of fresh air. We've got soooooooo many pretentious people here in the D.C. metro area.

4:12 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

mg - Thanks, never been referred to as a 'breath of fresh air' before. Very sweet.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home