.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Words

There are words that can change the direction of our life. Actually, not only our life, but the life of those around us, those who care for us and those whom we care for. For that reason alone, we should choose our words carefully


With my children, I choose my words with care...and calm. It's in me to speak first, to act first...sometimes to yell first, but it's never a good choice for me and can actually scar their memories of me. I want so badly to set a good example to my children. Sometimes being human we fail, but I believe when we put effort into it, we'll succeed much more than we will fail.

It's amazing how much our words can have an effect on strangers. I've had patients I've spoken to on the phone come in and ask to meet me because I'd made them laugh at a time they'd needed it. I've had patients bring me gifts because I'd touched them with words. We never know how what we're saying or the way in which we're saying it will impact someone, but we should be aware that words are powerful.

Friends forgive words that we use in haste. Good friends anyway. They not only forgive, but understand because they love us...because they care about us, and because some of them choose to be permanent fixtures rather than simply passing through our life. I enjoy my words with my good friends because they know me well and enjoy, even share, my sarcasm and attitude, so I'm free to be myself and freely use both.

There are those that come and go in our life, sadly, and we can usually tell who these people will be because we catch ourselves weighing our words before we speak them. Not wanting to offend, not wanting to scare off by our true personality when we let our guard down...actually always a little afraid to let our guard down, we will constantly be aware of what we're saying but it's important to be honest in what we say and that we express our true feelings. I believe life is too short to constantly be on guard. I'll meet people and sometimes wonder what they're really like when they're 'themselves'. You can usually tell when someone isn't letting you see them as they really are, or as they really want to be. Sometimes it's a challenge though, or I find it to be so, to encourage those people to enjoy who they are and to care less of what others may think of them. It's sometimes hard to trust someone who never speaks their mind.

Then, there is also the type of person who simply lies, or avoids the truth. Though I've been this person before, and make no mistake, I made a sport out it before becoming a Christian some 26 years ago and I can understand how easy it is to let words mean so little to you, I will no longer allow it in my life, or those who do. This is a hard lesson to learn and even harder standard to live by. Because we humans are an emotional creature, we take some words to heart, count on them...and trust them. But you learn in life who will take the high road, and who will not. I'm not afraid of heights.

6 Comments:

Blogger A Plain Observer said...

Once I wipe the tears off my eyes, I can type. What a meaninful post that hit home today of all days.
You are right, the true friends are the ones we feel at ease with and can speak with no fear

10:11 AM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I'm a big believer of using words only after thinking. My son used to push my buttons (we are SO much alike!), so to avoid problems, I used to tell him to go to his room till I could use the right words. In other terms, till I calmed down enough to not use hurtful words .... or actions.

It's not always easy with adults, either. I tend to over-think things at times, because I don't want to have problems from things I say. Then I begin to think I'm not being myself. Where is the balance? I want to be genuine yet kind. Help me!

Oh, forget it .... I'm too old to worry about a big change. I am what I am!

Wonderful post, Kathi. :)

12:36 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

jbt ~ I'm sorry I brought you tears. I agree completely, true friends have seen all of our colors and have decided to 'keep' us. Sometimes I don't get why, but the safety of their security is amazing.

lyn ~ I use to do the same thing with my kids, I'd just tell them I needed to calm down before I could speak to them...but actually I've said the same thing to adults. :) Oh, and thank you.

2:27 PM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

Ohhh, I am learning the art of using words and not anger with Chase. Tough one but oh. so. important! It really is remarkable how just talking and explaining to him calms him down... anger and frustration do nothing but make the situation worse. How true in all relationships!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Keasty said...

You haven't touched on how kids mimmick parents and other adults... guess they mimmick EVERYONE they hear. Our 2 yr old grandson at present is using COOL and BEAUTIFUL as his words of saying that he likes something. He certainly seems to choose his words carefully. Must be his mother's and father's influence.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

Kathi
Such a wonderful post, full of much meaning!
I really loved reading it!

Thank you!

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home