.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Got to back it up!

I was talking about prayer in my last post when we'd lost the dogs. I want to talk about prayer again regarding my car.

I used the Aircheck voucher the state of Texas sent me, which was like $3,000 cash just to leave my car at the dealership and let them get rid of it. Texas is trying to to get older model cars (anything 10 years and older) off the road. Mine qualified. Casey's car qualifies too, his being an 1988 and near 150,000 miles on it. I'd applied for both cars, but got the voucher for mine. I doubted I could have gotten much for my car because it was 15 years old and had nearly 120,000 miles on it. So, $3,000 was huge to me.



The day we got our dogs back, the dealership called and told me I'd brought the wrong car in for the voucher. I argued, saying I'd looked at the voucher and it had my car on it. They said the VIN was for an 88 Chevy Caprice. Casey's car. Apparently the state had put the description of one car and the VIN of another car on one voucher. Oops. I explained what must have happened and they told me they'd call the state the next day.



I called the state the next day, too. For two days the state told both me and the dealership that it had been my fault and I'd have to reapply, but they were not issuing any more vouchers until next September. So, the dealership told me I either had to bring the car back or come up with $3,000. This broke my heart because I really liked my little car and for two days I was a little upset. I must have called the state at least a dozen times arguing that this was not my fault; I'd filled out two separate applications with the insurance card with the vin for each individual car and I'd checked them several times. They acted like I was an idiot.



On Friday, after three days of trying to figure out what could have gone wrong and lifting it up in prayer, the dealership asked me to bring it in on Saturday. They'd talked to the state several times, I'd been a pain in the state's butt for three days now, and they figured there was nothing else to do. Casey called me that afternoon, still at college. I told him what was going on, which I usually don't bother him with problems. He said "Mom, God gave you that car, it's your car. Tell Satan to release it and take control of the situation. You don't need to worry about a thing." Wow, you're right son. I'd been playing the victim card with God, 'woe is me', asking Him for the car He'd already given me. I sat out in that car on my lunch and prayed, rebuked Satan's hand on that car and thanked God with all my heart for the car He'd given me.



I came in from lunch and called the state one more time. Trey answered the phone. I told him what was going on and he said...and I quote "That's crazy. Jay is the head of our program here and I'm going to shoot him an email and put you into his voice mail". Jay called me back within minutes. He told me he'd look into it immediately. I explained that I had to take the car back the next day. At 5:13 he called me, I was on my way home. He told me that it had been the state's mistake and that he'd already called the dealership and had it all straightened out. He said "That car is yours, don't worry about a thing".



I kid you not.

Prayer plus faith...can't beat it. Period

14 Comments:

Blogger 3carnations said...

That one gave me the chills. The power of prayer indeed. I'm glad your car is yours and that you straightened that mess out. :)

7:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow Kathi, that is awesome!! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. And how cool is it that your son was able to set you straight?!! :)

7:31 AM  
Blogger Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Wow! Goosebumps! I wish I had your faith. I still have to come to terms with giving up parts of my old life - like going out with hubby to have a few drinks - I feel hypocritical if I do that, but I really enjoy it and I feel it brings us closer. I guess I'm just not that great of a Christian yet - I'm closer than I've been in a very long time though.

10:22 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

c's ~ I know, I've had miracle after miracle in my life for over 20 years and it never fails to amaze me!

michelle ~ I thank God for that kid every single day, he is awesome. He tells it like it is, for sure for sure.

shannon ~ hon, faith is personal. I promise you, you wouldn't want my faith because you don't want to have to go through what I've gone through. We each grow in our faith by testing and seeing how powerful it is in our own lives...and the lives of others. When I first became a Christian, I'd been raised an atheist and had no idea what Christians did...or didn't do. I'd sit outside my apt. reading my bible with one hand and drinking a beer with the other. Others would ridicule me, calling me a hypocrite. I grew in my own relationship (in my own time) with God; not their relationship (and not in their time), but mine. That's what each of us have to do and that's why no one can judge anyone else. The good news is, sweetie, that you're His if you've confessed that you believe Jesus is the Son of God (John 3:16). I'm glad if I inspire, but you'll find this all out for yourself and you'll be witnessing of your own miracles one day...and I'll be smiling from ear to ear. Much love to you.

12:59 PM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

I got chills reading that! How awesome... not only the deal with the car but I love Casey's response. What a fine Christian man you raised! It warms my heart all the way up here in MD!

2:26 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

I'm joining the chills/goosebumps group, cuz lady, I SURE got them reading this post. I am thrilled for you, that all worked out so well!! HUGZ!

6:42 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

lovelladro ~ I know, that kid is so sure in his relationship with Christ. It amazes me daily, he's an inspiration to me constantly.

dabich ~ thank you sweetie!!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Not so evil Shenanigans said...

Thanks for that! I knew I started reading your blog for a reason:)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

What a testimony of faith in action!

Casey's response was so on point! He gave specific instruction regarding the release of something that was already yours.

What a blessing to witness God's goodness in your life!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

It's absolutely amazing what He does for us and His timing especially. When faith is applied- you can't go wrong!

I didn't know some states are trying to rid of cars more than 10 yrs old. What about those vintage cars? (Off topic but just asking...)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is a wonderful story--actually BOTH of the stories are wonderful. And both of your boys helped you and reminded you to pray. I've said it before, but Kathi, they seem truly wonderful people. I only hope that I give do for my own mother what they consistently do for you.
Kelly in NYC

11:50 PM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

I have goosebumps. That is just amazing!

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing!! Thats all I need to say.

9:54 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

::poke::

C'mon, lady, let us know you're still ok down there in Texas!

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home