.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Merry Little Christmas

So...this Christmas was a little different than the ones past. No one seemed to get what they wanted, nothing seemed to be enough, nothing I did was appreciated and the boys were rude and hateful all day long.

As if.

Sorry. I know my being constantly happy with life and my kids has got to be boring and frustrating, so I thought I'd go a different route...only it wasn't true. :) Truth is, it was a great Christmas.

The Saturday before Christmas we attended the Christmas service for Fellowship. Casey had been working on the set for days and was very excited about all of us going. The music was great and, as usual, I cried with joy for being able to worship between my boys. I can really go through the tissues when the Spirit moves me. Sunday morning we attended The Potter's House, and what a service! I love going to The Potter's House, it's honestly like going home and I'm so happy to be able to take my kids to experience what church can be like. The distance is a pain in the butt...but it's worth the drive. There was an elderly lady sitting in front of us, decked out in fur coat and hat, that couldn't get enough hugs from my kids. It was pretty cool since they don't really have any grandparents that they see, it was nice for them to get that attention and affection from her. We all had a really great time.

Christmas eve was Charlie's birthday. My baby is now 17 years old. I don't know how that is possible, but he assures me it's true. He chose Walk Hard as his birthday movie and all I can say is, if it is even remotely possible, cross the theater, the road or the state line, but do what it takes to stay as far away from this film as possible. I believe I've witnessed how low someone will go to try to be funny...or to make money. The boys said they couldn't decide whether they liked it or not; they each said they'd laughed once or twice so they hated to write it off all together. Me...two laughs doesn't make a movie, besides, I didn't have those two laughs.

After the movie, a couple of his best buddies joined us at his favorite restaurant, Umeko's Sushi and Grill. I don't do sushi but they do have great kung pao shrimp, decently spicy when I ask for it to be triple spicy...but P.F. Changs is better. :)

Christmas morning I found a kid on each couch in the living room. Some things never change regardless of how old they get. I waited for them to get up...accidentally making a lot of noise in the kitchen...several times. No one was moving. Finally around 9'ish, after I'd made homemade cornbread (I've got to put the recipe up here, it's the best stuff ever) and had gone through a pot of coffee...when I couldn't take it anymore, I whispered in each of their ears that it was Christmas and time to GET UP! :)

First, the boys and I realize how blessed we are to have each other, and we know above all things that having love, trust and respect for one another is the best gift we can give as well as receive. Sounds corny, I know, but we discuss this. After what we've been through, we don't take it for granted. Though this was one of our 'least $$ spent' Christmas', it was one of our best. It was really good. The kids both got what they'd wanted; Charlie a tuner for his guitar and the (get ready for this) Snarling Dogs Bootzilla Bootsy Collins Signature Bass Wah with Fuzz Pedal and Casey new tires on his car. Done...with a few surprises under the tree. It was a wonderful Christmas. They'd each gotten me a candle (I don't know if I've ever shared that with y'all, but I love candles!) and Casey gave me a gift card to Border's Book Store and Charlie gave me a much needed car charger to a rather new phone. By mid afternoon, the house was full of kids, music and laughter. Good times.

It was great having four days off from work, but it was also great having a great job to go back to. Christmas, to me, was comprised of gifts of all the things I care about; we worshiped together, we gave each other much love and thanks and we were much blessed with Casey having made the Dean's List and my having a good job that I both enjoy and appreciate.

Christmas was very good at the Bratcher home.

9 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I have a big smile on my face from reading about your day. I am so glad that y'all had such a wonderful time together, but I wasn't expecting anything different.

Give our love to your boys, and be sure to tell Casey how happy we are for him with his awesome news, and Happy Birthday to Charlie!!

11:34 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

It sounds like you all had a wonderful Christmas!!!

Now may the New Year be as blessed as!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Lynilu said...

I'm glad you had a good holiday, Kathi. It's nice to have meaningful time with people we love, isn't it? :)

4:32 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ awwww, if I put a smile on your face then my day is made. Thanks for that! I told Casey and Charlie...Casey and I believe you've invested in his future and your return will be great. :)

kidd ~ thank you, and you too babe!

lynilu ~ it absolutely is!

11:00 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Wow! I felt like I was there! I'm so happy you had a very Merry Christmas with your family. What IS it with boys and sleeping in, anyway? :)

Happy New Year, friend.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

I love to come here to visit. It is always so happy. You bring complete joy to us knowing that you and your boys are so close and they are so joyful and respectful. I love that you all rejoice together. Someday I hope to visit the Potter's House. I've heard so much about it.

More happy holiday season to you and your family as we enter the New Year!

1:34 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

nancy ~ I duuno, but I'd love to be able to sleep as sound as they do. Happy New Year to you, too, my sweet friend.

rose ~ you know what? I love for you to visit here too! I'm so very sorry about your nephew, my prayers are with your family. May God bless you and yours with His Divine Peace.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

You had a very Merry Christmas with all good things flowing and workin' in your favor. You're blessed and you ought to shout about it!

12:24 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Ahhh....peace on Earth and at the Bratcher house ;)

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home