.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Is It Any Wonder?

I've never claimed to be a people person. In all honesty (and I am honest), I go out of my way to make sure people understand that I'm not a people person so that I can live in my solitude, when I choose. I choose to live in it most of the time. There have been those who have tried to extract me from my 'solitude' life style, only to finally agree to love me the way they found me. I don't mind change, I'm just not big on it. Occasionally I'll step out of my comfort zone, I've even been known to vacation out of it...but it's my 'safe place' and I'll return there.

The reason, or one of them, that I'm not a people person is because I'm so shy. It's nearly offensive to me when people tell me that I'm not shy. I don't come off as shy when you meet me, but inside, I'm terribly shy. I may appear to be having a wonderful time in the midst of a large group of people, but I promise you that, chances are, on the inside, I'm wanting to go home. Alone. I've always been this way, and if I hadn't been okay with it, I would have worked on changing it a long time ago. Sometimes I'll meet someone who will be intent on changing me, and if I like them enough, I may travel out of my comfort zone to make them happy, but they shouldn't misinterpret the gesture. I'm traveling for them, but not moving.

I have a very dry and smart ass sense of humor. Sarcasm is a huge turn on for me. I'm not attracted to silliness or people who are constantly 'on'. This probably explains why I have very few close friends, but the ones I have (other than Lisa and Tom) I've had for more than 10 years. My friends are fiercely protective of me. They would do anything for me, and I hope they know how much I love and appreciate them.

I also have a mean temper. I am able to control it so much better than I use to be able to. The benefits of age and medication. :) I do, however, enjoy a good argument. I will never attach myself (again) to someone who can not debate, converse lively, or argue with me. That's just boring, and seriously, I've had enough of that to last me a life time. My boys love to debate, with me, with each other, with anyone. Plus, they have my sense of humor...dangerous combination for teenagers because adults really don't know how to take them. They've never been disrespectful, but it'll come off that way sometimes if someone doesn't know them well.

Somehow, I've managed to roll a dry and sarcastic sense of humor, an up front and in your face argumentative personality and shyness all into one person. Me. Is it any wonder I'm single?

15 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Ahem...

You've had ALLLL your friends for ten years?

I beg to differ....

Even though I'm sure you just said that so you could see me beg.

I know how you are..

12:12 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Shy? Well, I can't imagine, but then again, i can. Cuz I love my own space too. I like being around people for so long, then....I need my own space.
I bet the boys come off a bit different at times. That's good tho, keeps people guessing ;)

4:42 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

lisa ~ forgive me. I was trying to work y'all into that paragraph last night, but I was tired and it was late. One of the many things I love about you is that you say the things I wish I could say, you're like my 'bad half'...lol.

dabich ~ I guess I've learned to hide it well, but that doesn't change who I really am on the inside. The boys, they're different ALL the time, lol. Thank God.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I admire the fact that you're strong enough to not let anyone change the way you are. Shy and all---you seem like an amazing person with a huge heart. If you want to go home --alone-- while being in the midst of a large crowd--there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with you for feeling that way. Being an extrovert is an option. Being a bit introverted has its advantages too.

I like you the way you are, and obviously, your friends do too, or they wouldn't have stuck around for ten fricken years my dear!

I've known you over a year now and I just love ya to pieces! :) You and your sarcastic a$$!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I know how that feels. For most of my life, I was that shy person, but instead of being in the crowd looking like I was having a good time, I was sitting back watching everyone else. But I liked that, that was me having a good time.

Stangely enough though, I am no longer that shy person sitting on the side lines. God has changed my personality drastically through the years. I guess being a military wife I needed to get to used to moving around and constantly meeting new people. If you were to meet me today, you would never know that I used to be the shy. quiet one in the corner. :)

P.S. How was the nap...I'm feeling refreshed already?!! :)

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll say it again! Thanks for making an appearance at my 40th birthday party five years ago.
It still was the best part of the whole evening!

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to ask if the wrinkles are back?

4:46 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ love you too, darlin'!

michelle ~ actually, I did get a nap in, I just forgot it was for you, lol.

katy ~ yeah, that was tough for me, but what wrinkles are you talking about?

5:48 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I know, you should! ;)

6:45 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

I just love getting to know you better Kathi....I am kind of shy, but I do love people!
I think you are one dear and special lady!
Whenever you visit my blog and leave all your great comments, it warms my heart.
You really understand my poetry!

7:56 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ lol, hey! I don't love you because I should...I love you cause you love my sarcastic a$$ (in Texas we call that ASS). LOVE YOU!

margie ~ thanks, feel the same about you. Your poetry is the kind that hits home with people, that's why it's so popular!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Genna said...

Hi sweetie. Just wanted to pop you a Hello! :o) Big Hug!!

11:19 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

genna ~ girl, it's great to see you. Glad to find out your blogging again!

10:22 AM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

Kathi, sometimes I feel the same way! I like my space, I like to be alone quite often. I feel ya.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

why do my comments keep disappearing lately? Am I commenting on the wrong threads or something?

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home