.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, October 30, 2006

When it rains...

Abi sent this picture to me this morning. I believe this cat and I are kindred spirits. Lately, this is how I feel so much of the time. I'm trapped, I'm being bombarded with things I don't like but there isn't anything to do but stay where I am and find something worth smiling about through it all.

So Tom and Katie are wanting 'Kathi' posts...I'm not sure I remember how to post about 'me' anymore, all that I have going on is subbing and my kids.

Last week we had a bit of a mess on our hands, well, that would mostly be my hands. Last Monday Casey and I drove to Fort Worth to visit TCU. As much fun as we had there, we had more fun on the ride, I think. Casey is the best company, he's funny and considerate, I simply enjoy him. I drove. Now, there are those that would argue that I'm not the best driver but I beg to differ, offering my record as my defense. I've never had a ticket of any kind...not even a parking ticket...ever. Yes, I totaled 4 or 5 cars in my youth, but in the last 27 years I've not even had a fender bender, nothing. That sort of record isn't by accident, I'm a decent driver. With that said, I get lost easily...and I tend to always be in the wrong lane to get off. However, I don't try to make an exit when I'm in the wrong lane, I simply get off at the next exit and make my way back. Okay, sometimes it takes a few attempts, but I've learned to leave early. Casey took this in stride, and even laughed at it. That's a great person. That's my kind of person. On the way there, and take note that it was rush hour going through Dallas and Fort Worth, I missed about 5 or 6 exits and on the way back, I don't even know how many because we got lost completely after finding ourselves nearly back in Fort Worth about 45 minutes after we'd left Fort Worth, so we just aimed in the general direction and a couple of hours later we're home.

The next morning I'd gotten up early as I wanted to get in to work early. That wasn't going to happen, because our oldest dog, Daisy (she's about 13 years old) had had diarrhea during the night and after using every drop of cleaner in the home on my carpet, I was about 15 minutes late to work. I was subbing in the library, which I normally love. This day, though, was the end of the book fair and I put up the entire book fair alone. I boxed about 30 boxes of 20 ~ 40 lb boxes of books not sold and shelved them on shelves taller than I am. After about 4 hours, my back was in a lot of pain. After I was done with this, I shelved books for about 4 hours. I was so ready to go home, pick up a couple of movies and trade them in at Blockbuster, go back home, order pizza and watch some movies in bed eating pizza while on a heating pad. That was what I was ready for. What happened was that when I got home, the house was covered from one end to the other in diarrhea and vomit. I walked in, got my movies and walked back out. I daydreamed about all the places I could run away to, but ended up in Krogers to rent a carpet cleaner. After pricing the machines, I decided to buy one. I walked over to Blockbuster and got a couple of movies and then got back into my car to go buy my own carpet cleaner. My car wouldn't start. No sound, no nothing. Never happened to me before. I thought about crying, then I thought about how glad I was that this didn't happen the day before when Casey and I were in Fort Worth. I called my friend, Mac, and she came to pick me up. We tried to jump it (which was a funny sight because neither of us had ever had to jump a car before and I had to call Mark to explain to me how to use the jumper cables) but it didn't show any sign of cooperating. I took Mac home, borrowing her car to go find myself a carpet cleaner. Mark worked on my car, taking the battery out and replacing it with a new one for me. I really appreciated that because Goodyear quoted me $183 to have it towed and the battery replaced.
I did buy a carpet cleaner, and I'm in love. I can't believe the difference it made in Charlies room. I got up early the next morning, the day after the dog fiasco, and tried the cleaner on Charlies carpet, which I was considering pulling up because I had never been able to get his stains out. His carpet looks practically new now. This is my new favorite toy!

I was going to share my yesterday in this post too, but it's gotten too long. I'm honestly like a Lucy looking for her Ethel. I can find myself in the middle of a mess without knowing how I got there before it's much too late. Fortunately, I've got a decent sense of humor and I don't subscribe to the victim mentality.

18 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

awh Kathi. That just blows. Well..everything blows except for the new toy. In fact..if you are having that much fun feel free to come on over to my house. There is a lot of carpet cleaning fun to be had there. :)

At least you dont sound too down about it. I hope its more real than show.

*hug*

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoy my emails that I send to you and Mac. Well sorry your day wasnt going well, but hope it got better. Hey you know my dad has his own carpet cleaning company. He could of came over and helped you out. He is coming to do my carpet in my apt, since my dog when she was a puppy she made a mess, so I know what you were going thru.

xoxo
Abi

3:27 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

anne ~ not for show, babe...all real. It's not a 'smith', but it's a fun toy all the same.

abi ~ you're having your dad over to your apt? That's pretty big news, things must be much better, huh?

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well we still have our if's and but's. I've been asking him for the last 9 months to come over and help me out with my carpet, but yet to show up. So we'll see if he does it or not.

xoxo
Abi

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly said to tell you that's one of the 101 reasons it's good not to have a pet.
Don't forget I've ridden with you, part of the reason you haven't had an accident in such a long time is because you never go more than 10 miles from the house per week. The trip to TCU case in point, I'm sure there were a few drivers that would have liked to hit you. I've been behind you and other drivers like you before. Their thinking my insurance co. will understand if I hit her.
love and kisses

5:18 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Can I say too much kathi...lol. I am giving that post a big ucccckkkkkyyyyy. Should have old yellered that dog, it's Texas...people would have understood.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear about YOU :)

And the cat, aw man.... I don't know what to say.... that's just wonderful stuff right there, hahahaha

7:47 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

It's not often you see a woman equate a carpet shampooer and love...that's oddly impressive to me.

10:14 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Dang, what a lousy day. Sure hope your back is feeling better.
If you DO get new carpet, get something BRANDED. Like Wear-Dated by Monsanto or Stainmaster by DuPont. Both have pet resistant carpet...and you can even get pet resistant padding for under it!
OK, now I sound like a carpet saleslady...but that might be cuz I've been in the business for 28 years! lol
Meantime, use that new toy, I have one too and I love it!

4:48 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Well I hope that this week is better for ya. I sure hate when I have really crappy days bunched together. Let us know how Charlie does tonight if he decides to play his music for the neighborhood.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Sorry to hear about all that Kathi!
Hope the week gets much better!
Yesterday was a pretty ucckkyy day for me...I got a speeding ticket...and the cop was so very mean...he said I was going 10 miles over the limit. and I know for a fact I wasn't!
No point in aruging with him though..
he just was not a nice guy!
I'll just go to court...and get the points reduced...he took away 4 on the ticket!
Sending ((hugs))

Margie

9:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey- it can only get better, right?

11:26 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Talk about the shit hitting the fan! Oh WOW what a mess you walked into. You coulda' just hopped onto a plane and came to NY to have a martini or five with me Kath!!! What were you thinking???

Sorry things are rough right now. TAKE CARE of that back- and put ice on it if it hurts----and then apply the heat. Books are fricken HEAVY as hell!

That picture of that cat ---is HYSTERICAL!!!! hahaa!!!

Love you!!! xxoo

12:00 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

dabich ~ backs good, mood is much better, everything is good. Thanks! I didn't realize you were a carpet lady!

michelle ~ not to worry, I love telling my Charlie stories. :)

samuru999 ~ ouch! Sorry to hear about that!

kellie ~ HEY DARLIN'!! Long time...

deb ~ don't doubt that I didn't think about it! But you know me...always the responsible one. One day though babe, one day...

Me too! I love that cat picture!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

That's a great cat picture. I hope things get better for you this week. There's still time.

4:02 PM  
Blogger DZER said...

dog vomit and diarrhea are two very good reasons for having OUTSIDE dogs ... and lucky for you it wasn't the starter on your car ... last time I experienced something similar to you it cost me several hundred dollars to have the starter replaced ... ugh

12:04 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

"When it rains..." Welcome to my world. Diarrhea and vomit, and a stalled car. What a day!!!!

Hope you find much to keeping you smiling and laughing.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

What most have to share is an STD, or worse their own original idea. LOL. There are some exceptions, you being one. Have to love the kathi...

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home