.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Casey's Essay For TCU

My Mom


All my life I’ve been around people whose parents didn’t care about them. I’ve been extremely blessed to have a mother who cares more about the well being of my life than that of her very own. She has taught me every life lesson worth teaching. The biggest impact she has made in my life has been teaching me the word of Jesus Christ. She’s shared with me her sense of humor, morals and priorities, work ethic, and strength. I came to Christ at a very young age, and the person who led me through the acceptance prayer was none other than my mom. At the age of seven, I was baptized for the first time. The person baptized before me, again, was my mother. She has been by my side leading me through my walk with Christ just about every step of the way. Aside from her spirituality she maintains a great sense of humor. She has always taught me through example that it was all right to laugh at ourselves. She has instilled in me good morals and values through her examples. Through out my life she has shown kindness and compassion by being both incredibly kind to complete strangers and showing compassion to those who have wronged her. She has taught me a great work ethic through her work as an accountant early in my life, priorities by giving up her job to stay at home until my brother and I were enrolled in school, and then becoming a substitute teacher for my school district so that she could have the same hours and vacation days as we had. I have applied her example of dedication to my effort and persistence in the 9 years in which I’ve played football. Now she is teaching me how to stay strong in times of trials and hardships as she finds herself in the midst of a divorce after a 22 year marriage. She continues to show me that in the Lord I will always find the strength I need. I will remember the things she has taught me for the rest of my life.

*note: the guideline was for the essay to be 300 - 500 words. His is around 400.

30 Comments:

Blogger HuneeB said...

Kathi is this all of his essay or just part of it? I def have some feed back for him if he needs it on the app process.

So far this is wonderful. I love that you have been by his side leading the way. A walk with God. I love it. :) I would be proud to have a son like yours; a product of how wonderful you truely are Kathi!

(hugs)

1:28 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

You have such a wonderful son, you can be proud of him. He will be a shining star!

4:50 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Okay, I teared up with this! Not only is he a terrific writer, but what a terrific son! You have done a great job in raising them--and by teaching them about values, morals and God.

You're an incredible woman!

7:06 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

huneeb ~ this is all of it. It had to be a min. of 300 words and max of 400, I think. Anyway, he was right in the middle. Hey, if you have ANY help to give, girl, don't hold back!! Seriously, send help. :)

dabich ~ thank you...I agree. :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ It's all him...I think he's just generous in his interpretation...but I'm sure not going to correct him, lol.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

i really loved reading this. as you may recall, my mother was the greatest inspiration in my life too.

9:37 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

shawn ~ I'm glad you liked it, and of course I remember. Are you back from your trip?

10:37 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Good job Casey..good job..

You must be so proud Kathi..

10:58 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

anne ~ completely and always. By the way, I'm always proud of you, too.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell Casey TCU couldn't ask for a better prospect as a new student. This essay shows not just great writing skills but also shows what a great, mature confident young man his Mom has prepared for the world.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great. You've raised a fine son (two of them). I also learned something new - I never knew you used to be an accountant!

1:05 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

3carnations i'm glad i'm not the only one who was thinking that!

also? god you made great kids kathi... you really did. y'all are lucky to have each other!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

What does this mean for his grade then? Is that going to affect the grade if he is under 400? The teacher must have been moved by this!

4:16 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ you're so cute. No, this is an essay that's part of his application to Texas Christian University (TCU). It was to be a min. of 300 and max. of 500 words. He's good, hon...don't worry. LOVE YOU.

5:00 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

katy ~ shut up and pass me a tissue!

5:01 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

3 carnations ~ I'm not a cpa, just always worked in accounting (from the federal reserve bank to accounting firms). Thanks for the kind words.

sass ~ what? You surprised I can add?? LOL, teasing. I do think my kids are pretty great, but I'm partial. :) I do know that I'm lucky to have them...thanks!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Eh what do I know? I'm a beauty school drop out!!!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That was beautiful :-)

They say to watch how a boy treats his mother to tell how he will treat his wife...

So far, so good...

He has my blessing. LOL

6:59 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

lisa ~ NOW you tell me! Geeze, that explains a lot.

I'm thinking April of 2010...good for you?

6:29 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I hope that my boys grow up feeling the same way about me as yours do about you. How amazing it must feel to you, to be able to take a step back and see what an great young man that you have raised. Tell him we said Good Luck on the application process!!! (Not that he's going to need it!!)

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Now that's what I call an essay. I'm so proud of you Casey, and Kathi you must be proud too!! What was a little boy, is now becoming a wonderful, young, & smart man.

xoxo
Abi

8:24 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

Fantastic! Just wonderful! Way to go Casey and to you Kathi. It brought a tear to my eye reading this. I hope that I am half the mother that you are Kathi. ((hug))

8:40 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ thanks, it did make me cry when I read the first time. He is a great guy, and I am very proud of him!

abi ~ HEY! You helped with him! You taught him how to ride a bike, taught him how to get beat at horse by a girl... :) Love you hon!

kidd ~ it made me cry too, lol. Thanks!

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks, but I think you did most of the hard work, love you too!

abi

I did get pretty good at horse didnt I. Now I suck at it!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great essay! I have tears in my eyes. He has grown into a wonderful young man that any mother would be proud to have. I know you are very proud of him, tell him I'm proud of him too!

I love you guys!!

9:36 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Just beautiful Kathi!
What a wondeful son!
You must be so very proud!
Made me cry too!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great tribute. I hope I can be so blessed with my son. It is hard raising him alone... sometimes you wonder if they appreciate you - then they do something like that and let you know! It is great.

11:49 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

abi ~ yeah, I did most of the work...but y'all were major contributors. :)

nikki ~ ditto what I said to abi, all goes for you too. I'll always remember you on one side and abi on the other of Casey on his bike...teaching him to ride without his training wheels...and face painting at their birthday party. Y'all are part of the 'village' that helped raise this child. I'm going to have Casey read all your comments. Thanks hon.

samuru999 ~ awwww, thanks. I am proud of him.

sasha ~ I'm finding out how hard it is alone. I don't know the age of yours, but with mine, sometimes when the testerone is flowing...they probably don't even know if they appreciate me or not. But regardless...I sure appreciate them.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My son is 13 - ahhhhhhhhhhh such a difficult age. My sister, who teaches middle school math said (when I asked her how long the attitude lasts), "oh, until 10th or 11th grade or so..." Oh joy.

My son't father passed away when he was 10... Then I became a single mother. I wish he was here to help sometimes. We were divorced but good friends and had 50-50 custody and then things changed - sudden heart attack in his sleep. It's been a little tough - probably more for him, and he keeps in all inside. Sometimes I wish he has a father figure to talk to. Life can change is a second.

He is a great wonderful boy and I am really lucky.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This.........well this is the moment that we as parents live for!! It is such a wonderful feeling when we see something like this and can think you know I belive we did it right!!

Awesome Kathi!!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home