.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, October 23, 2006

Monday At TCU

Casey and I visited TCU (Texas Christian University) . One Monday a month they have potential students visit...which is why it's called 'Monday at TCU'. :)

We left home about 6 a.m. and after taking several wrong turns and backtracking, we got there about 10 minutes before the 8 a.m. check in. After we registered, they had a huge breakfast served to us. I had a scrambled egg, cheese and potato burrito with salsa, along with some pineapple and honeydew melon. It was the best breakfast burrito, I've got to try making these at home! Anyway, halfway into the burrito, I somehow managed to flip my plate over splattering eggs, potato and salsa on a few of the people around me.

They had us divided into groups assigned to student tour guides and we visited several areas around the campus including the dorms, library and rec center. I really want to go back to school. Completely awesome.

They had 7 different classes, from which we could choose 3. They were very informative. Around noon they had a great lunch buffet with some key faculty speakers, and then we continued the tour of the campus.

We were all divided up again depending on the student's major. Casey is thinking about double majoring in marketing and e commerce, so we met with the Dean of Business. Around 3:30 we attended the closing reception...where there was more food and some student speakers.

Casey and I had such a great time. No matter what is going on around us, Casey makes everything fun. This kid is so friendly, always talks to everyone and just has the best sense of humor. There's never a moment I'm not proud of him.

The only negative thing that happened today was when they quoted the yearly cost of room, board and miscellaneous...$34,000. Please look for my new blog 'How To Contribute to Casey's College Education', coming soon!

14 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

That sounds so cool. Im glad you had a good time. Caseys major sounds way important. TCU is a really good school too..I had friends that went there.

Bummer about the tuition though..ouch!

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I''m so proud of Casey, I mean how can you not be!?!? In the long run it will pay off. And yes I would love to go back to school one of these days too, I'll keep a look out for your new blog. And keep ya'll head up, god is watching over you.

xoxo
Abi

8:10 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

I'm so happy to hear that you two had fun. Sorry it cost so much. College ain't cheap, but I'm sure that it will all work out.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

34 grand? Take it out of petty cash. I know how rich you Texans are. Geesh. You might not be able to buy another diamond studded tiara this week, but you can buy one next week. Save the money, and bam...you have one year paid for.

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know college is expensive...it's hard enough for me paying for community college! I'm so proud of him, though. He'll do great no matter what he majors in.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Okay, I got a bit hungry with this post. But that's so great Casey has goals in life. Not only that, but with that outgoing personality----that goes a LONG way! Believe me, especially in the line of business he wants to get into -- you got yourself a success story on your hands!

You're blessed Kath!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are there any good scholarships available?

12:08 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Wow!! $34,000 is what it cost my husband to go through four years at Louisiana Tech about 10 years ago. What scares me about that, is by the time my children get to be college age the cost will be even greater...and I have 4 kids to help through school!!! I guess it's Ramen noodles for dinner from now on!!

4:35 PM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

Yowzah that's a lot of money!!!

7:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That money is a killer But if he has good grades, scholarships will be a big help. Definitely start that search. I am a college kid who did and it help me out a lot.

7:52 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

anne ~ it was a great time! Beautiful school, loved the campus and the dorm rooms...brought back memories, lol. Yeah, that is a lot of $$.

abi ~ yeah, thinking I'll invest the $$ for his education, he'll invest the $$ for my retirement home, lol. HUGS!

kidd ~ no kidding, it's not cheap. Then they say that most business majors will go 5 years...excuse me? We're talking close to $200,000.

tom ~ need to know who to make your check out to? Wondering if we could be a tax write off for you...wait...what tax, lol. :)

nikki ~ thanks, hon...I think he'll do great too!

deb ~ man, the food! Lunch was this huge italian buffet of pasta, all kinds of sauce (meat or no meat), something stuffed with cheese and topped with layers of sauce and cheese, ceaser salad, bread sticks...and servers just waiting on you constantly. No wonder they need all that money.

3 carnations ~ there are! We're applying for as many as possible!

michelle ~ we have a visit with UNT (university of north texas) next month, where he can go for all 4 years for nearly the cost of TCU's one...we'll see.

amanda ~ yup, it sure is to me!

epsilinicus ~ his grades are good, and we're definitely looking into every scholarship available. I know you understand!

9:11 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

"Anyway, halfway into the burrito, I somehow managed to flip my plate over splattering eggs, potato and salsa on a few of the people around me." LOL, sounds like something *I* would do.
$34K....that's to supply all that food...WOW!

5:00 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

dabich ~ thanks for sharing that, nice knowing I'm not alone. I didn't feel like I needed to mention how I somehow dribbled dressing on my white blouse at lunch, or how I managed to get cheese sauce on the white linen table cloth at the closing reception.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Dizzie said...

Sounds cool! I missed the opportunity to visit Universities before I applied to them - you don't get that opportunity over here... unfortunatelly.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home