.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, October 26, 2006

My Child

Casey had to write an essay for TCU, and he wrote it about me. Now it was my turn, as I was required to write one about him for his counselor at high school before she could write a recommendation for him for colleges. Here is mine:



Casey was a miracle child. After having seen every sort of doctor and tried every available procedure, I was told that it was physically impossible to ever have children. I spiritually never accepted this, and Casey was born out of faith on July 25, 1989. He has been a complete blessing since.

Casey has always been kind, considerate, and extremely honest. It amazed me, that even as a child, he would tell the truth when he knew it would get him in trouble; it just wasn’t in him to lie. Casey is someone that you can depend on and trust to do the right thing. He has always held up for others, especially when there was someone that couldn’t hold up for themselves, whether it was against other kids or adults.

At the age of four, Casey began taking Tae Kwon Do and he gave it every thing he had for several years. He has enjoyed and poured himself into sports since. He started playing football for ASA at six years old, eventually playing for the school when he was old enough, and has played every year since. He voluntarily gets up early every morning to work out before school and has taken the Performance Course the last four years during his summer breaks. I’ve never heard Casey complain once about not sleeping in, or missing summer vacations because of his work outs. When Casey commits himself to something, he follows through, always. He isn’t a complainer, never feels sorry for himself and, in fact, enjoys giving 110% of himself.

Casey became a Christian at a young age, requesting to be baptized around 7 or 8 years old. Since he has been able to drive, he volunteers most of his time at our church, Fellowship Church of Plano. He has worked on building sets for children’s vacation bible school until 5 a.m., being the only teenager volunteering. He attends teen fellowship every Wednesday night, works coaching kindergarten through 4th grade every Saturday night and one service on Sunday morning, attends one service with his family on Sunday and attends another church’s teen fellowship on Sunday nights. He is also assisting in establishing a teen home group for our church. All of this, plus his athletics, his responsibilities at home (which he does have chores he is responsible for regardless of what goes on outside of the home) and, still, he maintains a 3.5 average in school.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention one of Casey’s greatest attributes, his sense of humor. Casey loves to make others laugh. He has no problem making fun of himself to put a smile on someone’s face. He has such a quick wit, too…he is smart and funny.

I am proud of Casey. He has always had his priorities in good order, always been there for his family and has always put the need of others before his own. I believe that whatever he sets his mind to do, he will accomplish. He always has and I have no doubt that he always will.

20 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful. I feel like I know your son throught this wonderful essay that you have written. What a blessing to have such amazing children. I can't imagine him not getting into whatever school he wanted and getting every scholarship available to him with this kind of work ethic and selflessness. I know you are proud!!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

That's such a beautiful letter about your son. But you know what he is a beautiful child with a beautiful spirit and I am sure that was easy for you to write. You must be very proud. Congrats because he will be accepted.

9:59 PM  
Blogger ell said...

sounds like a great kid!

10:27 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

michelle ~ thank you! I am blessed. I feel like this didn't do Casey justice, but I tried not to sound like the sentimental mom that I really am.

rose ~ he honestly does have a beautiful spirit, thank you.

ell ~ he is pretty cool!

12:15 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

What a wonderful tribute, as you said, well-earned. Congrats on raising such a wonderful son. You are both truly blessed!

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very nice. Honestly, I was surprised to read that the counselor required YOU to write an essay before making a recommendation for him. I applaud it, though. The parents SHOULD be involved, and that's a good way to encourage it.

8:16 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

I have goosebumps.

8:49 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

Very nice kathi. You've got a good kid there.

9:10 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

dabich ~ thanks hon, we are blessed.

3carnations ~ yeah, I was surprised at that too, but it was good for Casey and I both for me to do it. It not only gave the counselor a better insight into Casey, but gave Casey a chance to know how I feel about him...though, I'm sure I express it all the time, it was good for him to have it in writing. :)

kidd ~ awwww, how sweet. Your turn is coming.

mike ~ thanks, I do...I do. :)

9:27 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

I think that is a great idea. I would have loved to have had something like this from my mom. I bet that essay means a lot to Casey..and it will probably mean even more down the road.

Great job Kathi..on the essay and on Casey. :)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Wonderful....beautiful...
I loved it!
Thanks for sharing it Kathi!

Margie

12:02 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Yours was good but Casey's was betta. LOL! Oh, I'm just kidding. Your letter made me smile.

1:28 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow, you two must have a special bond. My mother thought it was impossible to have a baby----and seven years later after having three children, there I was...and I was also a breech baby. We weren't supposed to survive--neither me or my mom. And even though my mother loves all my sisters the same, there's a special bond between her and I that's always going to be there.

Casey sounds amazing, as all your sons do. You're very blessed Kath!

Love you! xxoo Enjoy your weekend!

1:49 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

anne ~ I found a letter like this from my mom in an old album. It was pretty cool.

samuru999 ~ thanks, I'm glad you liked it, hope it did the job for his counselor.

shawn ~ you're such a pain in the butt...can't figure out why I miss you so much.

deb ~ true that, all my kids are pretty special. I understand that bond you and mom have, thanks for sharing that. LOVE YOU TOO!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Very nice.

7:00 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

tom ~ you're such a sweet talker.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Nameless Faceless said...

heheeee....it reminds me of the 'testimonial' I had written about me before I joined the law school.I never knew someone could know me that well...and i still remember how it moved me to tears when I got to read it one year after it was sent in an sealed envelope to the Chancellor of the school. It started with the heading, "TESTIMONIAL-not that he needs one".
Best wishes to the family....

11:09 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

We need more Kathi posts, not enough for me to get my fix.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, I usually can't shut you up! Don't you have a good dog or cat story to tell us?

7:15 AM  
Blogger Mummy said...

This was so fabulous. Thanks for sharing. I also checked out the articulate Casey's essay. It moved me to tears! You are both so lucky to have that great, close bond and respect for each other. "I simply enjoy him" sums it up so well, its lurverly!

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home