.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Itty Bitty

Recently, I was at Petsmart picking up some dog food and caught myself looking in at all the cats waiting in their cages for someone to come along, fall in love with them and take them home. Most of them were kittens, adorable and frisky kittens. But up in the top row in the middle of all the kittens was this older cat that just sat watching everyone around her play with all those adorable and frisky kittens. I watched outside the room as everyone, kids and adults, had all the supplied toys, teasing and playing with the kittens. This cat sat quietly just looking at all the people not looking at her.
Before I knew it, I was inside the room reading this cat's bio. About 7 years old, owners had moved to Michigan and couldn't take her with them. Her name, describing her perfectly, Itty Bitty. Somehow, this sweet cat ended up in my car and soon into our hearts.

This is a picture of Casey and Itty Bitty a couple of weeks ago.















After bringing her home we noticed that she didn't eat much. Then we started wondering if she was eating at all. I bought a few different foods trying to find one she'd eat. Silly me. We did find out that she would only drink cold water out of the fridge door, not out of the faucet. Little Princess. She didn't participate with any of the other cats shenanigans, but liked to stay by herself. She did like to sit on our laps and was people friendly. She didn't back down from my huge dogs either, and they've got a few scratches to prove it, lol.

I took Itty Bitty to the vet Monday, and found out she'd lost two lbs. in the few weeks we'd had her, down to 4 lbs., and she was extremely dehydrated so they hooked her up to give her some fluids, which she did not appreciate! They took blood and I brought her home.

The vet called me yesterday morning to tell me she has kidney disease and her kidneys are approximately 75% shut down. The best they can offer is to give her fluids a couple times a week and with that, they give her, at the most, 6 months. She hasn't ate, drank or moved in about a week. When we try to pick her up she cries. As much as it breaks my heart, I'm having her put down this morning.

It's not the first time I've had to do this, being as I've had animals (plural x infinity) around me since the day I was born, but it's never gotten easier. Sometimes love is doing what's most difficult, but what's best for the one you love.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw she is adorable!! She looks so soft and hugable, sorry that you have to put her down, but its for her best, she wont be in pain anymore. So you getting a new cat again? There is this girl that I work with that doesnt want her cat anymore, she wants to get rid of it, and I feel sorry for it, I cant have it because of my pitt bull, OMG get this, I took her to the vet and she weighs 60 lbs, and she is only 9 months old!! Yea big puppy that I have there, well anyway, how have you guys been? Casey looks so much older since I've last seen him. Take care Brather's love ya much.

xoxo
Abi

9:03 AM  
Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

I'm sorry Kathi.....she's a cutie...

9:10 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Oh...I'm so sorry Kath. It was brave of you to take home a 7 yr old cat---because most wouldn't.

You got a huge heart!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

Oh... you made me cry!
So sorry!
Yes, you have a huge heart!
Hugs!

9:32 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

What a shame.

10:23 AM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

Poor baby, and poor you guys. At least she experienced the love of a nice family for a while.




Now... how in the hell was a cat put up for adoption that wasn't first checked by a vet? Those types of things are tested for, and the cat should of never left wherever you got her from. I'd be giving them a call if I were you. That is very irresponsible and should definitely be reported.

10:26 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

yeah and it's possible they owe you compensation.


after my second cat died of cancer i made a comment to the vet to the effect that 'what were the odds i would have two cats die such horrible deaths' and she told me how i'd made their deaths easier and that maybe they chose me because they knew i would love them well and fully and let them go when it was time.

so i'm preparing my heart for whatever comes with my next pets because i don't expect it to be nice.

so you were drawn to her because she needed you, thank you for helping her when she needed it most.

*sniffle*

10:39 AM  
Blogger LoveLladro said...

My heart breaks for you Kathi but I am glad that Itty Bitty got to spend the end of her life with a loving family.

PS, how many sticks do you have to keep by the front door to keep the girls away from Casey?

11:44 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm sorry you have to go through it, but I'm glad you were there.

Thank you for making one more animal's last days comfortable my friend.

{{{Hugs}}}}

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry. Unfortunately I've experienced this three times this year alone, so I know all too well how hard it is. She was lucky to have someone bring her in to their life and care for her as much as you did for her last days.

12:25 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

abi ~ no can do, my friend. :)

EVERYBODY ~ thanks so much for your good wishes and kind thoughts. I'm not so certain that it's a huge heart I have as much as a small brain. :)

12:27 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

lovelladro ~ I'll show Case that comment, he'll appreciate it.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Awh Kathi. Thats so sad. My dad is going through the same thing..sort of. He has had 3 dogs from the pound in the past month and they have all had to be put to sleep.

Im so sorry.

(and yeah..Casey is a hottie)

12:57 PM  
Blogger HuneeB said...

I've also had animals around forever and it never gets easier when one goes or worse you have to put them down :( Sorry to hear the news Kathi

1:02 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

anne ~ yeah, I remember reading that. It's tough, even though I only had her a few weeks, I think I grabbed hold of her cause it was right after Mark had walked out and I sort of related to her feeling like everyone was passing her by and not noticing her. I bonded with her. And...you always wonder if you just keep them awhile longer if there is any chance they'll get better.

and thanks, I thinks he's cute too. :)

hunneb ~ thanks darlin, appreciate it...and you're right, it never ever does.

3:45 PM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

I am so sorry Kathi. ((HUG))

2:04 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Sorry about your Kitty. I had two cats at one time, both of them developed kidney disease. Desmond lived to be 7, Molly lived to be 14. I miss them. My wife and one of my sons are allergic to cats so that as they say is that.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

That's so sad and I am sorry that you had to do this....she was a beauty....

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home