.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Lessons Learned The Hard Way

Last night Casey had gone to play some beach volley ball. The next time I saw him, he collapsed on the living room floor in front of me, whispering something about "Charlie's tunnel of death". I couldn't tell if he was sick or just playing. I went outside to see what 'Charlie's tunnel of death' actually was, and Charlie was in one of our neighbors yard with our neighbors and their little boy, who is about 7. Our neighbors are in their mid 20's and we all get along great (which translates to we speak but don't actually knock on each others doors). Steven (my neighbor) had hung a tire in a tree and Charlie was pushing Stevens little boy in it, to where it was going in circles. When they saw me, they all started laughing and asked how Casey was. So...that's what had happened to Casey, huh?
Casey suffers from motion sickness, like I do, but not quite to the degree that I do. I can sometimes get nauseous if I'm in the passenger seat of a car and we go over a speed bump. Casey isn't this queasy, but still gets motion sickness, and he should know this by now. When I came in, I asked him why he'd let them turn him in circles when he knew he got motion sickness easily. Casey said he hadn't remembered that he did. Well, after laying on the floor for about 40 minutes, then throwing up in a couple of different rooms, I wonder if he'll remember it next time. Funny how Mark and I both remembered that Casey would get motion sickness pretty easily, but then again, we've always been the ones cleaning up his 'mess'. Last night Casey cleaned up his own mess when his aim for the trash can was a little bit off. Casey couldn't believe I made him clean it up either, but I'm thinking he may remember next time that he does, indeed, get motion sickness.
This had me thinking about how many lessons we have to learn the hard way.
I've learned the hard way that I can not drink on an empty stomach, as Mark once had to carry me out of a ladies bathroom at Chili's. I've learned the hard way that I can not drink while I'm taking prescription pain medication (ex: vicodin) and that a migrane is much worse while throwing up. I've learned the hard way that when I'm the only one yelling, that I may be over reacting. I've learned the hard way that it isn't enough to merely ask Charlie if he has his cell phone on him, but that I also need to ask if it's turned on.

So, just curious, what have you had to learn the hard way?

27 Comments:

Blogger Margie said...

Kathi,
That was have been somewhat scary.Glad Casey is okay.
In the last few days... I have sadly learned that sometimes reaching out to a friend that I needed, that person could not be there for me. At times, we have to depend upon ourselves. But, that tends to make us stronger.
Life is a clallenge and so very
good though.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Casey, so did he learn? I learned not to ever ride your bike in the middle of a busy street!! Remember? Yea well I dont think I've ever road a bike after that!

abi

8:18 AM  
Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

I've learned that "no good deed goes unpunished". I always try to help other people out, and I always come out the bad guy. By the way...I love the name....Tunnel of Death...haha

8:53 AM  
Blogger Kelli said...

Yeah..most of the ones that I can think of have to deal with alcohol..

Most important one is that the word jaggermeister means death..and that no matter how cute the boy is that asking you to do a shot of it..its just not worth it.

Oh yeah..and that you shouldnt wear a short white skirt with your bright orange underwear.

9:44 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

samuru999 ~ yeah, that is a hard life lesson to learn.

abi ~ uhhmmmm, no, I don't rmemeber. What happened? I remember you and Nikki taught Casey how to ride a bike (remember) and that I always yelled at all of you kids when you rode in the street.

10:57 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

johnnie ~ awwww, not always, surely. I can't imagine you coming out the bad guy anyway.

anne ~ too funny! And yeah, the one about wearing white with colored undies is something nearly every female has to learn the hard way, LOL!

10:59 AM  
Blogger BigBill said...

I've learned that NO! means NO!
But I still think there is a gray area there.
I've learned that there is more than one way to skin a cat but you have to do them dry cause they hate water!
I've learned that an umbrella can go up a chimney down but not down a chimney up???? (think about it)
and Yet I still get wet when it rains..
I have never learned to put the toilet seat down and will hold firm on this one!! (Just kidding)
We all learn lessons and the more we get out of it the better off we are. Good job making him clean up especially if it was self inflicted!! (Of sorts)
I get that way on the Tilt-a-whirl at the carnivals!! Hurl!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

big bill ~ sad...sad...sad joke about the cat...just eeewwwwww.
Somehow my guys have learned about the toilet seat, with the occasional set back. But after all, they are male. :)

11:41 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

Um...everything?

11:48 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

mike ~ lol, poor darlin.

11:58 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

Puffin ~ that's sad but true, isn't it? And that's funny about johnnie, lol, I can see that too.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

OMG I would have freaked out if I saw him come in and get all sick and dropped on the floor.

Okay--sick story- but I'm gonna go with this..THE HARDEST way that I found out something doesn't mix was last month when I was in Cape Cod--the biggest seafood vacation spot ever.

Never. Ever. Ever.....drink hard liquor or TOO much wine when having clams.

The clams will turn as hard as a rock in your stomach, giving you that 'unsettled feeling'...

The alochol....? Well....that just increases your chances of hugging the porcelain God even greater.

NOT a good "first night" on my romantic vacation.

Moving on...

I hope things are cleaned up and everyone's feeling well over there!

Enjoy your weekend Kath! xxoo!!!

12:09 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ yeah, well, he had just came in from playing volley ball in our Texas heat, so I thought he was exhausted till he managed to mumble something which I could barely decipher as 'Charlie's tunnel of death'.... huh??
Yeah, eeeewwwwww about drinking too hard with clams in the belly...eeewwwww.

btw, have you posted yet??

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes I remember that, he was so proud of himself, I was too. When we let go and he did it all by himself. When I got hit by the car, I was going to school, coming from food lion (when it was a grocery store) going back to boyd in the morning to catch my bus, well the lady didnt see me in the middle of the road, close by the crosswalk, and she pulled out of the exit from dropping of her kids, and then bang she hit me. I remember Nikki and her mom being there, telling the paramedics, "Yes I know her, she's my neighbor" then I blacked out, went to the hospital for about 4 hours and then was released. I cant believe you dont remember that, I think you kids even remember!! Well it was scary, I'm over it now, not broken bones, just cuts and bruises. I say I was about 9 yrs old maybe (6th grade).

abi

1:22 PM  
Blogger HuneeB said...

oh man is this a question....what haven't I learned the hard way??

geeez

(I guess I have a thick skull and can be a stubborn donkey sometimes!)

3:30 PM  
Blogger sassinak said...

that nicotine really is freaking hard to quit

4:34 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

abi ~ I'm sorry babe, I do remember that now. I'm an idiot.

huneeb ~ we must be related after all. :)

sass ~ that's one thing I wouldn't know about...and about the only thing, too.

5:03 PM  
Blogger DZER said...

I learned to do my chores on time the hard way. My father had told me to mow the lawn and I put it off, and the next thing you know it was dark out. Pop got home and noticed the lawn wasn't mown. So while everyone else was eating dinner, I was out cutting grass with the lawnmower and a flashlight. LOL

6:46 PM  
Blogger ell said...

i feel casey's pain. i can't even look at a map in a car without getting car sick. blecch.

one thing i learned? never buy q-tips in the dollar store. it's like sticking toothpicks in your ears. ouch!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Fizzle said...

Isn't life about learning the hard way? In fact, for the longest time, I don't think I learned any way but the hard way. Many boy lessons came the hard way.

I feel for you on the motion sickness issue. That's, uhm, whew. A tough one to deal with considering the amount of motion that takes place in our days....

7:25 PM  
Blogger Fizzle said...

(saw your link to LLS - I'm a captain for Team in Training, which raises money for Leukemia & Lymphoma research! thought you might wanna know the link's broken)

7:26 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

dzer ~ that's a lesson I, still, need to learn, but I don't wanna. :)

7:30 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

ell ~ ouch! Never thought of that.

fizzle ~ Yeah, that's true...sometimes getting a heart broken is the only way to learn about love...true love, anyway.
The motion sickness, it's weird. I never get it driving, but a lot as a passenger. And it takes me hours to get over after I've been on a plane. Nasty.

Thanks for telling me about the link. I'll see if I can fix it!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Yeh...I posted unfortunately. So yeah--clams and hard liquor! Gotta try it! Woooweee...what a mixture.

9:30 PM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

that I'm doing this the wrong/hard way...

7:06 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

You had to be carried out of the bathroom? ROFL! hahaha!

I had to learn the hard way that I can not use razors to shave. The last time I shaved with a razor I was smooth and sexy for half a day then I was a bumpy faced mess for a week following. Razor burn and ingrown hairs were no joke. My face was tender to the touch for at least 2 weeks. LOL!

9:51 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

shawn ~ that hurt just reading about it! So glad I'm not a man.
Oh, and glad you find humor in my misfortunate lesson, lol.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home