.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Time Flies

It's finals for the boys this week, so they only go half days. Yesterday, Charlie came home with 3 of his buddies and my house was full of laughter as they were all in Charlie's room watching Ringer. It made me smile to hear them. I've known most of Charlies friends since they were in grade school together. I've gone through periods where I've wanted to smack some of them, and then the next thing I know I'm telling them how proud I am of something they've done. I treat all of my kids friends like they're my own, always have. I love them and care about them and sometimes I want to shake them silly and ask them what in the world were they thinking?? Charlie is going to be a sophomore next year and it does actually sadden me to know that I've only got three more years of this. Of course, sometimes it thrills me to know I've only got three more years of this...but those times aren't as frequent as they use to be.

When I was a kid, I wasn't allowed to bring anyone to our house. I think my mom missed out on a lot. I'm not talking about a weeks worth of groceries disappearing in an afternoon, or what kind of mess 6 teenagers can make while they they're watching music videos in the living room, or even how it's impossible to keep a clean glass in the house. I'm talking about watching children go from finger painting to young men plowing down 200 lb. opponents on the football field. From telling a neighborhood of kids to stay together as they walk to school to praying that they've remembered to buckle up as you watch them drive off to school.

Next May I'll be watching Casey, along with the kids I'd invited to all of those McDonald birthday parties so many years ago, walk across the stage to receive their high school diploma. Then there'll be new friends coming to my house, I hope. College friends with bigger appetites and louder laughter. It's the circle of life. I want to enjoy every moment of it.

Tomorrow is the last day of school. My summer will start tomorrow at 12:15 p.m.

25 Comments:

Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

Kathi...you sound like a lot of fun. Are you a teacher? Your babies are all grown up!!!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

A great mom, something to hang your hat on when you get to the gates of heaven...this is to be sure. They have schools in Texas? Who knew? I thought they were all little schools like on Little House on the Prarie....On a serious note, I am such an anti-social moron that does not invite people over, I think I am raising my kids more like your mom did, than you are....

8:10 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

Enjoy your summer kathi!

8:18 AM  
Blogger GERBEN said...

You are such a great mom! You sound a lot like my mom. All my girlfriends use to come to my mom for the tough questions. From periods to boys. Have a great summer girl!

8:48 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

i got a little teary reading this.

it must be such a wonderfully bittersweet feeling to know youhad a hand in those boys and that they're going off into the world soon...

*hugs*

8:59 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

tom ~ thanks sweetie. You've really gotta start watching the news more, Texas opened it's first public school in 1998, we're playing with the big dogs now! And babe, no one is more anti-social than me, just ask anyone who knows me. But, I got to a point when the kids were young that I'd rather they be close to home where I knew what was going on than somewhere I didn't.

9:40 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

mike ~ WHERE IS YOUR PIC????

kidd ~ yeah, I've had my share of conversations too, and I wouldn't have missed a one of them. :)

sass ~ bittersweet is the PERFECT word. Here hon...here's a tissue.

9:42 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

johnnie ~ thanks! I'm a sub at the high school. And...I'm not sure they're ever all grown up. :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

Awwww, I got a little teary eyed reading this too.

My friends used to all come over to our house and hang out. My parents were so much fun, and I loved it. Even when I was grounded I could still have friends over. :)

11:30 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

you know, I bet you are the "cool Mom" on the block.

11:38 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

crystal ~ when my kids are grounded they're allowed to leave their rooms to eat and use the bathroom. No company and no tv or radio. Once Charlie even lost everything in his room except for his bed and dresser. Yeah, I'm cruel. :)

leesa ~ thanks! I don't know if that's true...but thanks!

puffin ~ yeah, I never ever thought I'd let them drive but when Casey started I felt pretty calm. Well, except for the first day he drove to school, I waited 10 minutes and followed to make sure he got there okay. LOL. I've even been able to go to bed once and actually go to sleep before he got home.

3:23 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

lol...I dunno...I see my picture just fine.

3:25 PM  
Blogger j said...

i wish i was your son's friend, because then i could hang out at your house :). ahhh summer. i love it.

11:26 PM  
Blogger DZER said...

I wish I got the whole summer off again ... *sigh*

1:22 AM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

Kathi, Mom always told me it was either let my friends still come over or have me drive her crazy from inside the house, and have my friends drive her crazy calling and showing up. :)

8:22 AM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I wish I could get a summer vacation. I only get a week worth of vacation and its not enough. I sometimes wish I was a kid again, or a young kid. Enjoy your summer breaks guys!!! And have lots of fun!!!

xoxo
Abi

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I can't believe next year will be Casey's senior year! I'm glad you will have the summer off to hang out with them...I, on the other hand, have school June 5-July 6 :( love ya

5:01 PM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

You doknow what they're going to start doing in college, don't you?

I almost don't want to spoil it by telling you...woohoohoohoo!

5:04 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

mike ~ even here, on my comments, you see your picture??

joey ~ how sweet!

dzer ~ w/o pay? Lol, sucks to grow up.

crystal ~ lol, I put a sign up on our front door once ( I was really mad) that said 'don't bother knocking for Charlie until the next grading period'

abi ~ not been that long ago, remember you, nikki...everyone, all out for the summer and playing ball in my drive.

nikki ~ yup, nearly a senior...remember that? Funny, just doesn't seem that long ago to me.

tom ~ I'm well aware, and I want him to experience it all...well...not all but a really good portion of it!

9:47 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

Yup...I see me here...everywhere...you and...well someone else...I can't remember now....don't seem to see me for some reason. That may be a blessing though.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

time flies when one is having fun

8:18 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

I only have one child - a son - and he has just one year of high school left before he is off to college. So its kind of with a bittersweetness that I watch him and his friends when they come over as well. I am going to miss him so much. I do think though, that he'll be home often enough on breaks and holidays and such, but you're right, it really won't ever be the same.

3:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
» » »

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read taking provigil before a cardiac catheterization acyclovir fridge freezer side side new york stock exchange quote Mitsubishi montero radio security code retrieval Health effect of cholesterol to heart life insurance Volvo s80 bumper www economytravel com acyclovir difference between acyclovir & valacyclovir Black bomber honda Cum face shemales Dry powder inhalers prescription Hypertension medications classes Acyclovir buying low price on line effects of overdosing on ambien pills rheem rtg-74 tankless water heaters Golf yuma az

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home