.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, February 17, 2006

More Than A Class Room

I'm a fighter. It's very difficult for me to give up on something, to give in when I'm not ready to admit defeat. I suppose that I am one of those people that believe they know what's best. Let's forget the fact that I'm rarely wrong, that's not the point. The point is my attitude.
I am confrontational. And, I'll admit, I enjoy a good confrontation. I'm never purposely hurtful, but I am honest. Very honest. I'm not someone who will confront someone to embarrass them. I'll, if given the option, make it private.
Both of my boys take after me in this way. My husband is not what you would call confrontational. He's the stereotypical male that will hold something in until he just blows. He says that he'd rather work it out, and maybe sometimes he does. But while he's working it out, others around him walk on egg shells. I appreciate knowing where I stand with someone, and I always make it clear where someone stands with me.

I do believe there are people that need to know they can't get away with things, that someone will hold them accountable for their actions, for their words and for their attitude.

Teaching at a high school level, I get them a little late. Of course, that's my choice because I'm not a fan of little kids. But, by the time some kids get into high school, they're already use to what they can get away with.

For the last seven years I've been a sub. For the first 3 or 4 of those years my assignments were 'long term' and then I started taking on the 'difficult' classes. I'm alright with being given the difficult classes because for whatever reason, I'm able to relate to them.

The biggest reason for long term assignments are because a teacher quits...suddenly. I can definitely understand a teacher leaving the education field for the private sector because of the money. Teachers are so under paid it's insulting. What I can't understand are the teachers that just walk out. Yes, some kids get in your face, some kids ridicule you trying to get a laugh, some kids ignore you because they think they can, because it's worked for them in the past. Why? I'd like to know this too, but I see so many kids that have gone through 9 to 11 years of school being able to bully not only students, but teachers as well. Until someone refuses to be bullied, they'll keep at it.

I honestly believe it's an injustice not only to the student, but to the student's future teachers, future relationships, future job opportunities and future children, to not hold a student accountable for their actions in a class room. I understand that it's easier to ignore a student and to sometimes just try to make it through the class period. I understand trying to reach the kids who want to learn first, but allowing a student to disrespect you (the instructor), or other students is setting an example as well as a pattern. Not only for the student, but for your class room.

I can't tell you why I'm off on this tangent, but I am. Perhaps it's because I relate to a lot of the kids that are the problem. I was one of these kids and I'm thankful for the teachers that didn't turn their backs on me and consider me a lost cause. Perhaps it's because the teachers who do turn their backs on these kids and take the easiest way out really tick me off. Perhaps I just felt like letting off a bit of steam. And, whew...I feel better.

11 Comments:

Blogger mikster said...

Without knowing you well I would assume you command some respect in the classroom. And that's a good thing.

And feel free to let off steam any time you like!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Mike just threw a paper airplane while you were turned around. Hmmph.... so much for his comment. (ba ha ha)

Subbing has to be a challenging job. I give you credit! Just be glad you didn't have someone like ME in your class! :)

Overworked and underpaid---I think teachers should get more $$$ ...

11:13 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

hey mike ~ me? command? LOL, ya think?

deb ~ hon, you remind me of all my best buds in h.s. We're the stuff teachers nightmares are made of. Another reason they should get the bigger bucks. I remember one old lady that couldn't stand me and wore this hideous wig. I slipped a fish hook into the back of it once and gave the line a tug as she walked off from me, pulling it right off.. She always knew it was me, but couldn't prove it. Never could figure out why she didn't like me.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

A good teacher changes a few lives, or redirects a few lives and she/he has done what God has put them on earth to do, (profesionally.)

8:27 AM  
Blogger SmileDragon said...

I agree, teachers don't make enough $$$. I don't know how you do it, subbing. Those were the days everyone acted the worst.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its all good, seems like you have a clear handle on this subject. I cant figure it out but for the life of me kids nowadays are just plain insolent and mean at times. It even exist with some adults as well. What happened to plain old discipline? What happened to just some common courtesy and respect? I think Im repeating myself at this point, I think I went off on this on someone elses blog, but you get my meaning.

9:24 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

cm ~ hey guy...loved your post about cheney...TOO FUNNY!

crystal ~ yup, less than babysitters.

blackops ~ babe, I don't have a clear handle on ANY subject.

9:51 AM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

Did you just say rarely wrong?

Wow, just wow.

9:09 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

dr. tom ~ Yes, I believe I did say that, but let me check just to be sure.
Why, I was correct again, that is what I said. :) See, rarely wrong.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

I was wrong only once in my life. I thought I was wrong, but I turned out to be right ;-)
I like your confidence Kathi. School has changed an awful lot since I was in it. Being a child who went to school in the early 60's, and I went to a Catholic grade school to boot, discipline was really not much of an issue. If you talked back, you got smacked. If you bullied someone, the nuns would hit you, then tell your folks and they would either do the same or support what was done to you. I luckily rarely was hit but my folks or the nuns. while I don't think hitting kids is the answer by any means, there is a total disrespect for adults and teachers in today's society. I think parents expect to drop their kids off at school and pick them up 12 years later as normal productive members of society. It doesn't work that way. You sound like a great and tough teacher, but someone who cares. I hope my kids have teachers like you in their lives.

Now I know where I've seen you, at ~Deb's

7:19 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

I had a friend who subbed for 2 years and she hated it every minute of it. She said the kids were unruly and uncouth and that office administration supported her right to send the kids out of the classroom(s) only 40% of the time. She'd send kids to the office and they send the kids right back. My friend had stories for days about those kids. I don't know how teachers do it. I so appreciate a few of my former teachers who were able to inspire me especially my 5th/6th grade teacher Mrs Thompson. She taught me lessons that I still apply today.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home