.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

1st Match

A few days ago I wrote a post about Charlie wrestling. Last night was his first real match and he lost. I wanted to say that first so I could get it out of the way and tell you about how great this kid did.
Our first match of the year was against The Colony Cougars. It took Casey and I about an hour to get there with rush hour traffic. Mark met us there, coming straight from work. I was pretty nervous, remembering last week. Charlie had said that some kids wouldn't get to wrestle, depending on the opposing teams wrestlers, whether they had enough of the same size/weight. So, we weren't sure we'd get to see him wrestle. The JV was up first and we watched some of Charlies friends kick butt and some got their butts kicked. Charlie was the third to last wrestler in JV, and when they called up his opponent, I thought there had to be a mistake. The kid was a poster child for steroids. They called out the weight class...'160'. Wait, no way. Charlie is in the 140 weight class. We saw Charlie say something to the people keeping the score and checking them in (two high school girls), they shook their heads, shrugged their shoulders, and Charlie took to the mat.
Mark and I just kind of looked at each other, wondering if we should go get him or not. The parents behind us happened to be the parents of steroid boy, we found out as they started cheering their son on. I asked them, 'did they say 160?' and they said yes. Mark and I just shook our heads.
The boys shook hands and the whistle blew and it was on! I'm no longer a casual observer, I'm a participant. I love this sport. No, not a misprint, I LOVE this sport! The effort these kids put into this is so apparent, and when they don't put much effort in, that's apparent too. Charlie was on this kid like a tiger, not kidding. I've never seen Charlie like this before, it's amazing. Schwarzenegger picks Charlie up and slams him down, no effort. But Charlie is scooting, turning, pushing himself up and on top of this other kid. It's so cool to be sitting so close to be able to see the focus, the determination and the strength in his face. I ask the Incredible Hulks parents how long he's been wrestling and they say 3 years. Wow. I tell them this is Charlies first match and they tell me they can remember what I must be going through. Pride, that's what I'm going through.
They blow the whistle, and Charlie has made it through the first quarter, the first 2 minutes.
Of course, Charlie is confused and thinks it's over. Starts to go shake hands with The Predator's coaches till he hears people telling him it's not over, lol. He gets pinned pretty quickly in the second quarter. God love him. Not bad, not bad at all. His first match and he has to take on some guy who has 20 lbs and 3 years of wrestling on him, and the kid held his own with style, class and real balls. Never been so proud of him.
I want to say that I don't hold anything whatsoever against this kid that Charlie wrestled, I'm just kidding with the names. It's just a mistake that was made, and I'm okay with it. Actually, we told Charlie to consider it good practice. The other kid was just really good (larger and more experienced, lol), but Charlie has nothing to be ashamed of.
By the way, our Allen Eagles won the match 54 ~ 24. I barely have a voice left this morning. Loved every single minute of it!!
Yeah, the ref may have been holding up 'The Teminators' hand, but Charlie was the winner in my eyes.
It's so cool being a parent.

22 Comments:

Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Pretty good for his for his first match, and the fact that he was outweighed by so much and still did well should make you proud. You might have a state champion wrestler on your hands. I used to wrestle, so your story hit home a bit.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome job charlie! keep up the good work, life will be though sometimes, but all you can do is keep your head up.

2:00 PM  
Blogger MZPEACH said...

Charlie did a great job. I see why you are so proud. Going up against someone of that strength and experience was not easy at all. He handled the situation well. That is great. And now that he has wrestled someone of that caliber, he will have more confidence going into his next match.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Totally impressed with Charlie. He is one brave boy to go against a guy who is 20 lbs heavier than he is, and 3 yrs ahead of him in the game. I'm glad he wasn't hurt.

You're brave too there missy! Just to watch your son take on this monster---something to be said for that.

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a pretty cool. He will always remember his first match and it will make strive to not to be on the losing end ever again. Wrestling is most definitely a character builder. Since it isnt really a team sport per se since win or lose its up to you. It really teaches you to accept all responsibility for all that you do and dont do. Nice post Proud mommy!!

6:41 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

hc ~ thanks guy, I'm hoping it turns into something really good for him. His coach was an all american wrestler and won several titles in college, and charlie has 4 years with him, so I'm believing for great things.

anon ~ thanks, I'll relate it to him.

gp ~ thanks, that was what we were thinking too.

deb ~ thank you...and ME TOO, lol.

tre ~ thanks. I'm trying to get the video up, but I can't figure it out!! POOH

blackops ~ if I was speaking to you (hugs) I'd tell you thanks. I am totally proud of him. Again, thanks. Hope your assistant works out well *cough...choking* for you.

7:11 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

mw hick ~ that's so true! I understood so much more this time, it's a lot easier than football to pick up!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are such a cool mom! You gone from "Oh, my baby" to "I'm so proud." I can't wait till he wins his first match. You may not talk for a week.

You're probably great for his self-esteem. Keep up the good work, kiddo.

9:13 PM  
Blogger KyuBall said...

Character builder...definately. Sounds like you've got a great kid!

10:40 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

sable ~ how sweet you are, thank you!

kyuball ~ Yeah, he's got his moments...now if I could just piece them all together, lol. Thank you!

11:43 PM  
Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Kathi this was a very enlightening post and you seem to be a great sports mom. When I was in school I have seen parents actually smack and practically beat up their children just because they might have missed a score during a basketball game or if they were on the football team and the team lost the game. It was sickening that all these parents cared about was winning to the point where they abused the kids. I guess those parents were already abusive and sick but it still didn't make any sense. I mean, how can a parent care more about the game than the child? You're doing great! Just support him like you've been doing and he'll do fine.

I just tagged you for my latest post!

1:24 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

kathi: I just knew you'd turn into one of the crazy intense sports moms! LOL

bake sale to raise money for new uniforms? district finals trip? LOL

oh, and tre ... holy shit! I'm a straight male and everything ... but goddamn!

this semi-gayish DZER moment is brought to you by deb. deb, the leading lesbionic of the blogosphere

LOL

5:36 AM  
Blogger BigBill said...

How does Charlie feel about his performance?
Make sure you encourage him and when he looses make sure you point out the things he did correct during the match...
You must be very proud and rightfully so!! Go Charlie

6:01 AM  
Blogger African girl, American world said...

The last enrty you were ready to pounce and now you're all into it! I already know I'll have my eyes closed when my time comes. I'll the the one asking my husband...can I look now is it over? ha ha
I left this comment on your last post but I just wanted to let you know how cool this is that you're sharing cause I have 2 sons bound for sports and I get to read your prespective. You're preparing me!

7:59 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

stacy d ~ Having the boys in sports since they were 4, I've seen those parents too. I don't get it either, sad.
I was reading your blog this morning thinking, gee, I don't look like anyone (unfortunately) and then see you tagged me. I'm at a loss here, honest. I'll ask around, but do celebrity animals count?

dzer ~ LOL, you've so NOT got me pegged. It's almost funny, and here I thought you were getting to know me. I'm more the 'how much should I write a check for' kind of mom. Sorry to disappoint.

bigbill ~ Actually, Charlie doesn't feel like he did well at all. He was embarrassed that the other kid was able to lift him up and slam him. But many kids are able to do that and I'm sure he'll learn to do that too. He's lifting at school and Mark is going to include him in lifting here at home. He's a freshman, so he's got 4 years to improve. He watched the video of himself, but he didn't see his good points.

blackops ~ plenty of people work from home, sniff.

hapee ~ LOL, I've DONE that. Then I'm always disappointed when I missed something great. And when they'd ask me later 'did you see me when...' I hated saying no...so I've learned to watch, and pray.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Dzer: Do NOT blame me for getting in touch with your feminine side. Did you once sport a mullet sweetie?

I still wuv you anyway! *BIG KISS*x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0x0

Sorry Kathi- almost turning into a crass straight girl here.

*winking at Dzer* Stay straight---I may want to experiment!

8:31 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

deb: *singing* Don't you want me baby? Don't you want me oh-oh-oh? ;)

8:46 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb & dzer ~ When did I lose control of my blog? Huh? Geesh, GET A ROOM.

8:50 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

chrissie: ya gotta quit smoking the doobie, baby! and he's a chiseled god or something, ain't he? yowza again!

kathi: deb is just using me to get at the legion of female fans at my blog ... all 3 or 4 of them ;)

deb: did you get a room? what's the room number?

8:53 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

dzer ~ give chrissie a break, it's for medicinal purposes, LOL.
Be sure y'all give chrissie the room # too, don't wanna hurt her feelings now, do ya?

chrissie ~ awwww, thanks for caring about charlie...and have fun over at tre's. But y'all, be nice...tre's a really sweet guy.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

You should be really proud of him. I look forward to hearing your play by play for a match he wins.

9:46 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

shawn ~ yup, I'm a proud mama. LOL, you're looking forward to me rambling on about my kid? You're such a sick pup...but I'm crazy about ya.

lady ~ wow, that was a really sweet and thoughtful comment. You're such a writer!

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home