.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Sunday, November 06, 2005

2 points - Bratcher!

Sports. Every moms nightmare. I should probably take that back. After years of sitting in the stands watching Casey and Charlie taking their very lives into their hands on the football field and watching the parents around me...maybe it's just mostly my nightmare. I don't think I've ever seen another mom stand up in the crowd at a football game, yelling "HEY, GET OFF OF HIM!!" when my kid is at the bottom of a pile. No, see...Mark tries to explain to me, it's a good thing when they're at the bottom, meaning they made the tackle. I get that, but all I see are about 20 kids on top of mine, taking their dear sweet time getting up. I mean, c'mon, who knows if he's even still conscious? GET UP!

This year Charlie decided not to play football, he wanted to try wrestling. A bit of a shock. Actually, he didn't want to play any sport, but we have a rule that he has to be involved in a sport, any sport. So, he chose wrestling. The surprising thing is that he loves it. He thinks he's finally found 'his' sport. I'd never seen a wrestling match, but I've shared some classes with his coach, and I know that he is a very disciplined guy and that it would be a good thing for Charlie. I don't know if I've told you enough Charlie stories for you to understand this reasoning, but trust me.

Charlie has come home with a few injuries since wrestling practice started, but I'm use to the guys getting injured (slightly) playing football. Charlie has came home with a bump on the back of his head the size of a large egg, bruises and a sore ankle. Nothing, I repeat, nothing had prepared me for what I saw Friday night at the exhibition match. I honestly had no idea how physically dangerous this sport was. Now, I'm also thinking to myself, this is an exhibition match where they are wrestling their own team mates...how much worse will it be when they're competing in a real match?? Just thinking about it now nearly makes me cry. Seriously.

I took my camera intending to take some pictures and video of Charlies match. When his team (are they called a team?) came out, they looked so cute. They're in these spandex mid thigh shorts and tank top 'tights set'. They run around the entire gym once then take their seats. They called out whom would be matched up against whom and they go shake each others hands. Then the matches begin. I can't believe what they are allowed to do to one another. They can hit each other in the head with an open hand, they can put their arm around the others neck to bring their head back or to hold in place, thus the name 'choke hold'. They can bend their opponents arms behind their back or their legs in another direction... Anything, it seems, to pin their opponent down. The first one up gets a face mashed into the mat, his head gear goes flying and his hand turns in a completely unnatural direction. The second one up has a kid go down so hard with his arm extended that it popped his shoulder out. They had the medics out on the mat for about 10 minutes, you could hear a resounding POP as it goes back in. At this time I tell Mark to go tell Charlie to get his clothes back on, that we're going home. I honestly felt like my heart was going to explode. Mark tries to calm me down, like only Marko can. He laughs at me. Yeah, laughs. What is it with guys? The more chance of pain and injury, the more popular the sport. Charlie is nearly 15, but he is still my baby. Mark tells me that no matter what I do, do NOT leave the bleachers, he can tell I'm getting antsy. I'm taking a few pictures of Charlie in his seat, some videos of the other matches, trying to take my mind off of what's coming up.

Then it's Charlies turn. They put on some color tie thing around their ankles and shake hands. Then the bell rings and Charlie is on this other kids faster than anything I've ever seen. It was amazing! This other kid didn't have a chance, it was wild. Right off the bat, Charlie had 2 points. Why? I don't know, it's all too confusing, but it was so awesome! The match went on for about another 2 hours (okay, 2 minutes) and the other kid somehow flipped and pinned Charlie, match over, Charlie lost. Okay, that sucked. But it was AMAZING!! They get up, they shake hands and return to their seats. I'm hooting and hollering, even if he did lose, he did great! And you know what? I forgot to film it! His first match ever, and I was so nervous I forgot to take any video or pictures! Pooh!

As soon as we had him and we were on our way home, Mark told him about my wanting him to get dressed and go home before he'd even been called up to wrestle. Charlie assured me that it looks worse than it is. Well, the sound of that POP is still much to fresh in my memory for me to believe that. But, if he's found something that inspires him, then I'm backing him 100%.

This is the only picture I took of Charlie (he's in the middle). How sad is that? But there's my baby... 5'11", weighing in at 140 lbs... an Allen Eagle Wrestler!

15 Comments:

Blogger DZER said...

you sound like one of the GOOD sports moms (and families) – supportive and not maniacal. and it's always great when a kid finds the sport that just makes him click. I'm sure as he learns more he'll use that lightning quick speed to rack up the wins!

12:38 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

dzer ~ my first commenter! Thanks hon, I appreciate you calling me a good mom. You're such a sweetie.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Which one was Charlie? There were three boys sitting there--looking VERY much alike.

If I had sons that were into those types of sports, I'd be crapping a pickle--really. It IS dangerous, but it's good that they're into sports and not hanging out somewhere on the street doing some 'other sport'. You're very fortunate that your boys participate in things like this.

I feel ya even though I don't have kids Kathi- my heart would stop if I saw my son on the bottm of twenty other large and still growing boys. Ugh...would tear me apart.

Great story!

8:21 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ uhhmmm, he's the one in the middle. And thanks sweetie, I am blessed, an anxiety ridden, nervous wreck while I'm watching either of them in their sport, but blessed all the same.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh Kathi they are growing so fast!! Both of them are taller than me...they make me feel so old! I think it's great that both the boys have your support, even if you may be worried about them. I'm sure Charlie is a great wrestler and will win his future matches! Tell them hi for me!

9:48 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

Nikki ~ Hi Honey!! Tell you what, if either of my boys turn out nearly as good as you (and your sister Heather)have, I'll be forever thankful. Love you so much! Hugs.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Clay said...

that is cool you are not the embarrassing sports mom, but still supports!

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its good that you go, your kids will remember you being at all their matches and games, they will also remember the time you arent there as well. Its great that you are so supportive of them, Im sure they appreciate it.

11:38 AM  
Blogger brooklyn babe said...

Awww the protective "bodyguard" mom.. gotta love it lol!

1:14 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

cane ~ Believe me, I can be embarrassing. Ask my kids about the year I took cowbells to the games.

blackops ~ I'm sure you're like this too. You can't help but melt when you look at them, and every good thing, regardless how small, makes you prouder than you ever thought you could be.

midwest ~ yeah, probably the only sport I never dated anyone from, too.

babe ~ Oh, I'm protective alright, bet your bottom dollar on that.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wrestling will be good for his self-discipline. But mostly, have you two in his corner is good for his self-esteem.

Oh, and congratulations for not slapping the other kid for pinning him.

6:41 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

sable ~ lol, I'd never slap a kid...but I do enjoy cutting one down to size occasionally. :)

8:23 PM  
Blogger BigBill said...

Well of course your going to react like you did to a sport you don't understand. Wrestling is a demanding sport because you have to keep your body strong and then drop weight to get in your weight class....So at this point your weaker than normal and then you have to pit your strength against another athlete who is under going the same thing. This is where the human body shows us what can be done with conditioning and mental focus.
You reacted like my wife would have and Mark reacted like I would have!!!LOL But it's natural.
It's correct to be concerned about your childs safety.
Good job keeping your kids active with sports I wish I could watch more. I won't be able to observe a game with Erin for a while... I mean really observe because I am either managing or coaching or doing something instead of actually really watching. I guess High School will be when I can sit in the stands with my head held high and proud and say thats my girl.
Good luck!!!!
P.S. get it together on the field and get as many videos as you can... That way you can go back and watch them when the kids have moved out!!!
We still watch baby films of Erin and Jaki and get a kick out of them....

4:44 AM  
Blogger African girl, American world said...

Sailed in via Georgia Peach. My sons are 4 and 6 and I just got a clear picture of how I will be in a few years. My husband is an ex offensive lineman so they've got the sport gene. Lord give me strength!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

OMG, I can visualize you in the bleachers moving about anxiously in your seat. You relly crack me up.

FYI - not all guys find 'dangerous' sports thrilling. Everyone has their limits. I still don't understand people who enjoy rock climbing.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home