.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, October 31, 2005

What Do You Get...

...when you put 30 teenagers in a small, dark room? C'mon, you can get this one...think! You get 30 happy teenagers. Yup, that's exactly what you get. You get girls screaming, guys shouting, everyone laughing, the sound of things hitting the walls, books dropping loudly, more girls screaming and everyone laughing. Oh wait, I'm forgetting something....what is it? Let me think. Oh yeah...ME. Yeah, me. I was teaching today at the Freshman Center (speech, and the work they had to do had been completed last Friday...so basically, I had nothing for them). We had some rain, some thunder, a couple flashes of lightening and then complete darkness. For how long? Oh, not long. AN HOUR AND 20 MINUTES. I could not be more serious. We were fortunate in that we had a window in our room, so we had some light...enough for vague shadows. I did have to put my chair in front of the door to make sure none escaped. You know how things can be in the wild, I mean with teens.
I started thinking about how many teens have cell phones, so we got them out and I let one at a time walk around the classroom taking pictures of each other with their cameras. Most had flash, a couple didn't and only 3 kids didn't have cameras but the other kids all volunteered to let them borrow theirs to take pics. Still, some of the longest 80 minutes I've ever spent.
Yeah, and this happened on Halloween.

14 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

That had to be spooky. They say that ghosts draw the energy from electricity, so you may have had an ~extra spiritual student~ among you!

9:01 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Must have been one spiritual student to take out the electricity in the entire school. I never thought of it as spooky, a pain in the butt, yes. But not spooky. :)

10:28 PM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

ewww...what a way to spend 80 minutes....I know I wouldn't have enjoyed that....lol

11:07 PM  
Blogger RC said...

My mom let my big brother have a party with 30 of his friends one time, and there was lots of dancing, lots of beer, and lots of girls shouting, because I kept stepping on their feet by mistake. Later while I was dancing everybody started shouting at me again "Go RC, go RC, go RC, go RC", so I left, don't know why, so then I came back.

Bout a month ago it was raining, so I opened up my bedroom metal window since it was so beautiful, then our house got hit by lightning, and I went flying threw the air, but it was fun! When I got up off the floor I saw reflection in my computer monitor, and my hair was sticking up like a porkypine, and right then I knew what I wanted to be for Halloween this year, Bigfoot, just like last year.

I hope one day I will have a cell phone, don't know why, but it would be nice to have because everybody has one, just I'll try not to use it so much so my ear wont grow as big as an elaphants, like my big brother says, because I'm not sure my neck is strong enough to hold up a big ear like that, but at least I'll be able to hear lightning better without having to open my bedroom window, because that hurts!

I hope you had a great halloween, Kathi!

1:00 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

did anyone make the wolf howl in the dark? ow-ow-ow-woooooo!!! or the deep, booming, evil laugh? mwah-ha-ha-haaaaaaaaa!!

that would have been me LOL

4:45 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

jan ~ I sure didn't.

mack ~ uhhmmmm, thanks, but no.

rc ~ learned your lesson, huh?

dzer ~ yes, babe, you'd fit in very nicely yesterday.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Oh, my. But I would have loved to be in your class when you subbed.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

sounds like a fun day. How fitting for the lights to be out on halloween.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no grabass?

10:55 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

leesa ~ me too, it'd been much more fun to be in it rather than subbing it.

shawn ~ that's what the kids kept saying too. If wasn't for the storm, I'd said it was a prank too. Maybe the first 20 minutes anyway.

blackops ~ oh dear, I hope not. Not that I know of, anyway.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

That was something. You came up with a good idea to keep the teens going. You know they have too much energy to just sit. Great idea!

7:33 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

tre ~ thanks.

rose ~ thanks, yup...too much energy. It gave me a chance to keep all but one in their seats instead of 30 kids trying to run around in the dark.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Bert Ford said...

Kathi,
I live in Mississippi.
You put 30 teenagers in a dark room down here, you get 15 babies. It's simple math.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

According to the news here, Bert ford is right. You get 15 babies, unless some of the students are gay, or one is my daughter.

I'm buying her a chastity belt for her 13th birthday.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home