.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Today's Quote 10/02/05

I read this on another blog last week, and loved it. He gave me permission to use it for my quote. He's a pretty popular guy, so if you've already read this, I apologize. If not, have fun and visit Steve's blog when you have a chance.
http://stevenjones.blogspot.com/

TODAY'S MATH

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58.The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her.She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register.I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help.While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried.Why do I tell you this?Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s.

Teaching Math In 1950:
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?
Teaching Math In 1960:
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
Teaching Math In 1970:
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?
Teaching Math In 1980:
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.
Teaching Math In 1990:
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)
Teaching Math In 2005:
Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producción es $80 ..

15 Comments:

Blogger BigBill said...

That is a very good topic and I like the evalutionary twist to it. The pig roast sound outstanding I am sitting here like Pavlo's dog! (hope I spelled that right). Tell your husband Marko that you really can go out without drinking and have a good time. I am clean and sober for uhm 4 years this December if I can do it anyone can. How long does he have to take the meds? Good for you getting clean. Anti-depressents? I am like you and I don't hardly even take an aspirin. So I believe you when you say that you where scared and didn't want to take anything. Thanks for sharing that with us.. If I need to ever take any meds I will refer back to the fact that you trusted them and they worked!!

11:50 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

bill ~ Marks on an expermental study and it goes on for about 2 years.
Thanks for sharing your sobriety, I'm proud of you.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Okay, I'm a huge drunk...sorry---can't relate. HOWEVER, it is great that both Mark and bigbill are sober.

Okay--- Math. Hate it. Always did. What's my main occupation?

Guess...

Yes, accounting. Ugh. Thank the good Lord for calculators and computers. These days, it comes in handy and makes accounting equivelent to monkey work.

Anywhoo...... I'd be stuck there too if I were that cashier. haha, I need a new career!

12:46 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ I'm with you girl, have a drink for me.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Brighton said...

Love that! So true too. Sad that we are not teaching kids how to do something as simple as make change.

6:49 PM  
Blogger JR said...

LMAO @ this whole thing. I'm from the 80's but proud to be able to do 50's styled math, lol! :P

7:46 PM  
Blogger KyuBall said...

You know, I was going to go on a complete rant in my blog on this same topic. (I still may.) I ran into something very similar at a McDonald's once. The order came to $5.49. I handed the woman behind the counter a Twenty and a One. I could literally hear a synapse mis-fire in her head like Chevy Big Block.

Now, I just do it for kicks.

9:34 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

brighton ~ yup, thanks for stopping by.

justin ~ I went back to school to take some 'new math' classes when my youngest went into the 4th grade and his math was too challenging for me. I knew I had better get with the new stuff.

kyuball ~ You know I'll be reading it when you write it.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Memphis said...

Hey, I've seen this before!

Just kidding.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually just woke up from the fainting spell I just had trying to do all that math.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah and I love Memphis Steves blog, I have been a lurker of his for somet time now.

7:53 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

blackops ~ lol, see, you need me working for you! And, on Memphis Steve, yeah he is a great read. I have a problem seeing you as a lurker though, as verbal as you are.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

On a $1.51 bill, I gave the cashier 2 $1s and a penny. He gave me back my penny, and then one quarter, two dimes and four pennies.

I did not want the freakin' pennies!

10:52 AM  
Blogger Timmy said...

I always use the change in my pocket, and half of the time the (usually younger) cashier looks at me like I've just handed them a grenade. Math is so 20th century.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Oh this is too funny.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home