.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, October 14, 2005

Book Fair

I was suppose to substitute in the library today at the freshman center. I was actually looking forward to it because I've had a few restless nights lately and my head has hurt for two solid days, so the library seemed like the perfect place to hide, I mean work.
Two librarians were out and it was the first day of the school's Book Fair. Remember the Book Fairs? Normally, they use to be for the younger grades, but they said this is the third year for the freshman center having them and they had done well in the past. So, they had it arranged where each english teacher would alternate bringing their class in for 20 minutes. For six hours I sat at a table, alone (2 missing librarians replaced by one sub = school district mathematics) constantly bombarded by kids asking "how much is this...how much would it be with tax?" You do realize that books are just a small amount of a book fairs inventory, yes? There are a hundred kind of stupid, I mean cute, girlie girl pens, things that grow in water, key chains, jewelry, posters, pen lights, those things that squish and feel really cool, I mean icky... There, now you have an idea. Every 20 minutes a different batch of 30 kids would plow in and go nuts like they were in a toy store. Okay, it was pretty much like a toy store. Hell, there were things in there I wanted. But this was the first day, and it runs through next week.
As I was leaving, the librarian asked me if I'd be interested in subbing in the library again. "Sure, why not." Then she asks me if I'd like to sub long term in the library. Yeah, maybe 10 years after I'm dead. Other than The Dillard Center (our alternative school...for troubled kids) I don't really want to long term sub anywhere. I suppose I like it there because I share so much with the kids. You know, baggage and the like. Otherwise I like picking and choosing the days I work. But if I was going to work full time, I suppose the library would be a decent place to work. I mean, it still has the kids hours and schedule, I'd be at Charlie's school, and I'd get to see all his friends. I love how his friends all come in and give me hugs when they hear I'm working there. So...I might think about it, after the Book Fair is over.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you haven't been around trees? what the hell? come on over.

8:36 PM  
Blogger BigBill said...

Holy crap!!
Librarian?
I have had some wicked visions about librarians..Ya know all quite and proper behind those sexy glasses hair all done up in a bun...Oh yes!!
I was a fat scholl boy comming in to buy something that grows in water? Then the librarian does a little dance takes off the glasses and lets her hair down.......Oh wait that was a Van Halen Video Hot for Librarian... LOL

8:24 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

tbn ~ I've got them all around me, they're just not PINE. Can I still come over?

bigbill ~ Trust me, you don't want me taking down my hair...

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home