.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, October 10, 2005

I Feel Like A Hypocrite

I've been hearing a song lately. The radio station I listen to (occasionally) never gives the name of the song or the artist, which really ticks me off. This morning I'm watching The Daily Buzz (I love this show) and they're playing it in the background AND they do give the information I've been wanting...till I get it. It's Gold Digger by Kanye West (with Jamie Foxx).
I'm not a Kanye West fan. I'm a big hater of blanket comments. Some of you will know what I'm talking about, and some of you won't. Either way, I'm not going to feed the fire, so just take it at face value that I'm not a fan of West. But, I want this song on my ipod. My first impulse was 'crap, I'm not buying it'. But then I start thinking about things that have bothered me about other people...one of my 'pet peeves'.
I know people who shy away from an entire company, movie...etc., because of maybe one sponsor or person involved with it. And it's their right to do so, absolutely. What bothers me is when they tell me about it expecting to change my view also.
My mom-in-law was upset when I went to see Monster-In-Law because it had Jane Fonda in it. One of my closest friends won't see Susan Sarandon or Richard Gere movies, while another friend wouldn't watch The
Interpreter with Sean Penn because of the stunt he recently pulled with the Katrina rescues. One of my neighbors will not shop at Kroger's grocery chain because of one of the brands they carry.
Up until now, for whatever reason, I've never had a problem. I've been able to separate the person from the service. I mean, to me, Sarandon & Penn are just damn good actors. Gere too, plus he's just out and out 'purty' to look at. I may not share their politics or religion, but I can still appreciate their talent.
I look at it another way. I take the boys to Taco Bell and there is a guy behind the counter that I know is cheating on his wife and his girlfriend, do I buy our food or walk out? His job depends on the money that's spent in the restaurant. Do I accept mail from a carrier that I know is a bad mother? Do I rent movies from Blockbuster even though they offer movies that I disapprove of? Do I read blogs of bloggers that have a different life style than mine? Can I appreciate the music of someone that I, personally, consider to be an ass?
Gold Digger does, also, have Jamie Foxx contributing to it, and who doesn't love Jamie Foxx?
Am I going to download the song from itunes? Yeah, I am. I'll probably feel like a hypocrite while I'm doing it. But, I'll be smiling when I'm listening to it on my ipod. Besides, I guess I could look at it as Kanye being the sell out, making music for people who completely disregard him as having any logic whatsoever.

12 Comments:

Blogger Memphis said...

Didn't Jane Fonda's last movie have Jennifer Lopez in it, too? I mean, if ever there were a reason not to go see a movie J Lo is one. I have no idea what her politics are. She's just annoying.

11:52 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

steve ~ another example where I find her personally annyoying (such a diva), but I've gotta be honest. I think she's really cute, I like some of her movies (did you see Angel Eyes? she's not the worst actress) and I've even liked a song or two. Definitely like her videos.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey sweetie!!! Loved this post! I was just talking to my girlfriend about this very topic! She came by my bar, and she wanted a beer. A light beer. I said, well, we have Amstel Light, Bud Light, Coor's Light---and she said, "OH not Coor's Light---they are against homosexuals! So I said, "Who gives a flying rat's ass? If you like the beer, drink it!"

I totally agree with your post, and I absolutely LOVE that song (if it's the one I am thinking of) She's a gold digger, but she ain't messin' with no brokey broke- <---is that the one? I love that song, and "Lady Lumps" <---??? (hope that's the name! haha) by Black Eyed Peas.......it's hysterical.

Anyway----your picture is so adorable! I can put a face with that wonderful thought provoking writing of yours!

((hugs))

12:28 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ we're so much alike. That's exactly what I mean... The only thing I stand really firm on is not using a product if I know it does animal testing.
Awwww, so sweet about the pic. Thank you. I put it on my blog as one of my first entries, just put on the template. Thanks again.
Hug's back at ya!!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I hear ya on the animal testing, but the thing is, it's not going to stop. Sad, but true.

Just like veal, they'll always serve it because a ton of people love it (including myself, I must admit) ------ so it's kind of pointless. I know that if "everyone" stops getting products that are animal tested and stops eating veal, there won't be a market for it.

But will they stop?

Hmm.....

Such an interesting post!

10:09 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ I believe that animal testing is needed, it's just a personal choice for me...just like I don't eat meat. Have nothing against people who do...just my choice not to. What'cha up to girl?

10:18 PM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

awesome post Kathi...very thought provoking.

I go see movies because of how the stars perform. I can't stand Tom Cruise but I loved the war of the world's and I have to admit he actually did a fabulous job in this movie....plus Dakota Danning is such a little cutie..hope she has a long career in movies.

My view is we are all unique and have our own viewpoints and personalities..that's what makes us "us". The world won't stop spinning because we don't like something someone stands for.

it's late and I just got off work and probably aren't making too much sense...hehehe.

I too love the pic you added to your blog.

11:01 PM  
Blogger BigBill said...

Yes I guess we can all be considered Hypocrites at one time or another. You can't honestly stay totally loyal to your hatered or turn off of certain things. somewhere in life their paths will cross making you a hypocrite.
If you don't like something fine thats what makes you an individule. Take me for example I claim to be a believer in No Carbs. which is incorrect. I know you needs carbs but I know that if you eat more than you burn you will put on weight. So was I a hypocrite this weekend when I ate an 18 " pizza with sausage, onion, green peppers, mushrooms, and black olives? Or how about when I ate the hashbrowns that came with my omlete?
If you don't like something or have a concientious objection to it then fine but you shouldn't judge other people by their decissions. ramble ramble ramble
This can go on forever.
I love the song and I say listen to it if it makes you happy. I personally love the fact that they are using Jamie as Ray Charles in this song Dead on impression...

4:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that was a good post. This type of thing goes on all the time. West and Fonda are a couple of pendehos but I cant adjust my life to what they are and arent doing. That goes for all of the other folks, places, companies, and things, considered controversial.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I can not stand that dude, I'm able to separate those feelings from good music. Coldplay & the Dixie Chicks come to mind. Props to you for doing the same!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

God, you brought a smile to my face. I always seem to shy away from watching this or that because of my dislike for one actor or another.

11:24 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

Shawn ~ Thanks for telling me I made you smile, that meant a lot to me.
If I don't like the actor for his acting, I'm not going. But if I don't like him as a person...let him work his butt off to entertain me..."dance puppet, dance".

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home