.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Braces and the 4th

Charlie got his bottom braces put on Monday morning. Yes, they're pink. However, the kid is in a whole lot of pain, still. Monday and Tuesday it was awful. He had a canker sore inside his bottom lip before he went and they rub against it, plus, they just hurt period. He's had nothing to eat, except for what he can take through a straw, like soup and such. Poor kid. I think they're starting to feel better because late last night he soaked some cereal for maybe 1/2 an hour and then ate it.
On the 4th, the boys and I went to Heritage Village in Dallas. I can't believe I've never been there before, it was amazing. It's like an old west village. All the houses, hotel, Dr's office, General Store, etc...are all original buildings brought here from around the state, all made in the mid to late 1800's. Many had the original furniture from the homes. They also had civil war re-enactments, people living (pretending) in the homes and working in the business's that explained things to you if you wanted. I didn't know that they use to build houses with the kitchen in a separate building because since they were cooking over fire, there were many kitchens that caught on fire and so it made sense to keep it as a separate building to keep from losing the houses too. There was an old school, completely furnished with the old desks from the late 1800's to early 1900's. The boys sat in the desks and read some of the books supplied on each desk. Casey and Charlie also wrote silly notes to each other on the black boards that each desk had.
We had a lot of fun. I'm so glad we went. We were there for maybe six hours...there was so much to see and do. My kids talked to everyone there. People look at them like they're nuts sometimes, and chances are good there's a ring of truth to that, but the boys always nod and say 'hello, how are you today?' or Casey will say something like 'top of the morning to ya'... I don't know why, they've just always thought it was funny and they've gotten in the habit of doing it. I just smile. I love them so much.

25 Comments:

Blogger Kelli said...

I have never even heard of that place! Im googling it right now!

Im glad you guys had a good time and Im sorry about Charlies mouth. The thought of soggy cereal almost makes me gag! Hope he feels better soon.

(You sound good..hope that you are actually doing half as good as you sound!)

Love you Kath-

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really nice day. I remember going somewhere like that in Massachusetts as a child...Maybe Sturbridge Village?

9:00 AM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

Poor Charlie... I remember when my brother first had braces, he moaned for a week.


Sounds like the trip was fun, hang in there lady.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

That Heritage Village sounds awesome! We have a few places upstate from here that's similar. They all 'act' as the Amish do and walk with horse and buggies...they have the little doc's office, antique shops, and the buildings are the same and original as they were back in the 1800's as well.

I love going to those kind of things. I think Charlie and Casey are a trip! Top o 'de mornin' to ya! How precious are they?

9:23 AM  
Blogger sassinak said...

oh man, the more i hear about your kids the better a parent i think you are.

they sound awesome, i'm glad you had such fun.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

That sounds like a fun place to visit. I love stuff like that.

did you buy anything while you were there?

10:00 AM  
Blogger Margie said...

I remember when my son had his
braces put on... ouch!
That sounded like a great place
you visited... I love visiting places with all that old history.
You have great kids!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Mia said...

Aww braces so suck, went through it with my girls. Do you have that brace wax down there?

10:59 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

REal great kids!

11:17 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Aww! I missed saying, great mom too!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Johnnie Avocado said...

Yeah, braces wax for the sharp edges, and also, I don't know why this works, but it does. Take some Ibuprophen before the Orthodontist Appt, and the tightening. It makes the pain like a third of what it would be. Has to be before though, not after. It worked for me, like a charm. Still hurt, but not killer pain.

11:27 AM  
Blogger DaBich said...

Braces suck. My oldest had them, and they were miserable for a time. Good news is, it WILL Get better. Hang in there Charlie.

Kathi, you sound composed. I'm hoping you really are. Routine has a way of calming us. Hang in there lady! HUGZ!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Canker sores...when I was a kid my step mom used to take me to get them cauterized...no lie..it worked but hurt like hell. I don't get them anymore but the middle kid does...no matter what the experts say it is a vitamin deficiency...find it and he does not get them....but in the mean time...I say either put salt water on them and stay hydrated...or get used to them...lol.

1:32 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Anne ~ I'd say 1/2 sounds about right. Thanks, love you. :) OOHHH, and they had old time sorta food and I had...fried pickles and fried green tomatoes with the best lemonade I've ever had.

3 ~ it was the best time. I'm so glad I found out about it for us to go to.

amanda ~ I'm hanging the best I can. :)

deb ~ my kids are the absolute best, I'm blessed beyond words.

sass ~ you're the sweetest person, thanks for saying that. I need it.

shawn ~ food...we bought lot's of food lol, not really much there to buy...one little gift shop, but nothing we were interested in.

samuru999 ~ thank you! I really do.

1:59 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

miranda ~ I don't know what brace wax is, I'll have to ask. He's used a whole tube of anbesol since Monday.

gt ~ awwwww, thanks...to both. :)

johnnie ~ I had him take some tylenol before we went, he was in the chair for 90 minutes with that thing in his mouth...but it's the canker sore in his mouth that's hurting him the worst today, rubbing on the braces.

dabich ~ Me, composed? :) I dunno about that, but I'm taking it minute by minute and I know that I can get through anything...it just may not be much fun.

Tom ~ which vitamin? Kid drinks a ton of water, we all do.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you guys have a good time, keep you head up kathi and much love for ya'll. And Charlie I'm sorry, but you wont regret getting braces, you'll have the perfect smile.

xoxo
abi

2:41 PM  
Blogger ~ Amanda X&O said...

Brace wax is just some clear thick waxy stuff that you can tear a piece off and put around the sharp edges of the braces to smooth it off and not irritate his lips/ tongue/ whatever.

You might even be able to get some at the drug store.

2:49 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

abi ~ thanks darlin. We needed to get away and get our minds on other things. :)

amanda ~ okey dokey, I'll head up to the store now to see if I can find some. Thanks for thinking of him.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

you can get brace wax at the drug store. Wal-mart even carries it, but they never have any in when I look for it. There's also a canker sore med that burns like the dickens when you put it on, but it makes a protective film over the sore that stays for a few hours, it's called Zylactin I believe. Josh used it for years and it helped. The supplement Lysine also seems to help. Look in the vitamin section. The good part is that they seem to outgrow the tendency to get them :-)

Glad you had a good fourt ...I've never heard of the place you went...I may have to ck it out. :-)

6:07 PM  
Blogger DaBich said...

I KNOW you can get thru ANYTHING, especially with GOD as your help. Sending up prayers for ya! HUGZ.

8:26 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

lisa ~ do you get to dallas?

dabich ~ I know that too, 99.9999% of the time, and the rest of the time, y'all remind me. I'm so thankful for y'all, honestly.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

occasionally, but not often. The hubby goes down there on business and we go see same family & friends in Ft worth and farther west towards Weatherford.....

why? does it make you nervous that I might find you? LOL

9:20 PM  
Blogger Dizzie said...

I feel for him. It'll get better after a while, I promise!

The village sounds great! Especially for kids. We have a sort of old type village a few miles north of where I live - I remember being there when I was younger, but it wasn't much to see - just a few houses, you weren't allowed inside, and nobody really cared about the whole place: one small café, a few locked houses, and that's it. Think they'd come up with something more interesting to do there, but then again, I guess, why bother with tourists and profit, right? :)

Take care

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like the boys really had fun. u r one amazing lady. hats off to ya.

11:48 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

lisa ~ bring it on hon, takes more than you to scare me, lol...you are a joy.

heart ~ yeah, he ate pizza last night in small bites, he's getting better. Thanks for caring. :)

abicali ~ we did have a great time, lot's of laughs, and we needed them. Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate them so much.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home