.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, January 13, 2006

It's All A Matter Of Taste

I'm sorry for the lack of posting. I've been around, though. I've just been content to sit and read some of my favorites (ever so slightly nudging you to the left side of my blog). Sometimes I'll visit one of their favorites...and so it goes. It simply amazes me how much talent there is out there. I know blogging is a rather new concept to many (I'm about 1/2 a year into it, I'm guessing), but what a revelation it is to our world. Many are incredible at creating fictional stories with powerful messages. Others tell their own stories with such eloquence and passion that I feel like they've entrusted their secrets especially to me. And yet others are pure entertainment and information. I wonder if Barnes and Noble has suffered any drop in revenue since we can now read all this great material on-line for free.

People blog for as many reasons as there are blogs out there. You can tell the bloggers who just have to write because they write with such passion. Whether it's sentimental, angry or humorous. They've just got to write. I do it because it's like therapy for me. It's like keeping a journal and making friends at the same time. I've made some wonderful friends. There are also some who blog craving recognition or praise, or both. Every one has their own reasons. Just as everyone has their own reason for whom they read and who they don't. I've got my favorites that I've linked myself emotionally to (even if it is in my own mind) and I'm honestly interested and care what's going on with them. When they don't post for awhile, I'll be concerned and though it's absolutely none of my business, I'll contact them and ask if they're okay. There are others that I read because they inspire me and yet I know nothing about them personally and that's okay with me, I'm just grateful for the slice of inspirational fiction they've shared with me because it's touched me.

I don't always comment, though 90% of the time I do. Sometimes I just have to tell them how talented they are. Sometimes I just want them to know I've stopped by. Sometimes I tell them, in love (I hope) that my opinion differs, but I respect theirs and thanks for sharing. There are times when I stop by my favorites and they're posting on a subject that I don't feel comfortable with reading, and that's totally cool too. It's their blog. It's also my time and I'll spend it where I want to. I'll just stop back by the next day.

There are bloggers that I just can't connect with. Just as there are circles of friends you have. There are those people that occasionally might ask you to go out with their group, but they're going to the strip club and you're more of the neighborhood bar kind of person. I'm a neighborhood bar kinda gal. If any of you have read me for very long, you know there isn't much I haven't done. Other than ever putting a needle in my arm (or any part of my sweet body), I can't think of much I've not tried or experimented with. But that's pretty much behind me. So blogs that are sexually centered or all about the party life...really don't appeal to me all that much. But, that's me. Twenty years ago, if blogging had been around, I'd been a triple X rated blog. But that's not who I am now.

Another type of blogger I can't seem to connect with are those that are so impressed with themselves. Sorry, even if 50% of it is in jest, it's a total turn off for me. I might think you're the most talented, gifted writer in the blog world...but if you think so too, and it shows in your blog, well, I'll just pass. This is probably my least favorite type of blogger. I've known people like this in life, and I disconnect myself from them too. Big egos. One of the biggest wastes of all time. Let others tell you you've done something amazing. Let others brag about your talents. I've honestly had people email me and ask me why I haven't linked them in my blog favorites. I had one blogger ask me "Haven't you ever read my blog? You've got to link me, I'm one of the best blogs out there". I'd never heard of this blogger, and after visiting them I emailed them back and told them, though I appreciated the invitation, they weren't something I'd be interested in visiting again. When you have to tell people how great you are, regardless of your talent, it's going to turn people off. Please hear this. I honestly believe there is a lot of talent out there that isn't being expressed because they're letting their own egos get in the way.

This was intended to be a paragraph or so. I was going to blog about something that I suppose I'll now save for another time.

Hugs.

12 Comments:

Blogger -Tommy said...

I agree with everything you said. I was actually shocked to find that there are lots of blogs and subsequently very cool people that aren't "All about me and my fascinating political commentary".

Mine was just supposed to be a calandar but my brick and mortar friends suck and need to be reminded to read it. "You didn't send me an email reminder" I have to remind my own mother to read my stuff? Now I have all these online friends who check in all the time so now it's more of a running story like yours or Deb's or lots of others.

It makes for great reading which sucks because there's only so much time to read all this. Ever see the Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meridith and all those books?

I actually look forward to reading all these pages and love when new people comment on mine because I get to find a new blog. It's like a little nano disease. I'm glad it evolved into this and that you are all out there.

Oh and by the way, I am fascinating, just ask my wife. On second thought...

7:23 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

tom ~ yes, I've seen that twilight zone, and he ends up breaking his glasses and can't read the books! And, yeah...good decision on not asking the wife, lol. Though, I'm willing to bet she does think you're a pretty good guy.

Shannon ~ I always enjoy your blog, and yours is kind of a family affair. Though you're both very distinct in your type of blogging. The thing about blogging...it's not a job, you don't have to do it. It's something you do when you want to...it's for fun.

10:15 PM  
Blogger KyuBall said...

I'll tell you something, Kathi...I've been blogging since May or August...lurking mostly, but once I started to write and follow other blogs I wouldn't have found all the favorites that I currently visit if it wasn't for you. Truth.

You have such a eclectic taste, that anyone who visits even 10% of your links will hit something that will interest them.

Thanks and blog on!

10:21 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

kyuball ~ wow...gotta tell you, that completely blew me away. Good to know. Thanks!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

awwwwwww that's so caring of you that you contact the bloggers and ask if everything is ok ..

awwwww man I just saw your "my favorite blogs" .. thanks for adding .. appreciate it .. i had my blog in mind when you were talking about non-appealing blogs ..

there's another reason why bloggers ask you to link to their blogs .. there's a motive .. "Link Integrity" .. it's a part of search engine optimization. The more places that will link to me, the higher page ranks I'll get on Google and MSN and Yahoo .. and that's might be the motive of many bloggers .. well it can be a totally different thing but yes many do intend the above.

I understand your frustration with egoistic people .. i don't like 'em too .. well I actually have a different approach. When someone brags about something (something slefish), I come up with a better example and prove them wrong. I usually ingore the first and second time they brag, but if they bring up the samething the third time .. then that's it for me ..

Hey by the way .. what do you do when your students brag about .. I got an A .. i got an A .. lol .. i guess that's OK ..

And Yes .. I did right that poetry .. and was just sooo glad to read your comment .. "Voices is absolutely beautiful, as is your writing. Together, pure joy"

1:14 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

I blog just how I feel.. sometimes it is funny, sometimes mediocre at best, sometimes boring, sometimes x-rated and sometimes downright depressive. I think the best blogs, as with people - are the ones who are just themselves.

When someone writes something that doesn't interest me that day, I skip it. I try and comment and do 90% of the time - even if it is just to say hi.

Have a fab weekend!!

9:21 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

nabeel ~ why in the world would you think that your's wouldn't be appealing? Surely you know by my comments on your blog how much I enjoy you.
I honestly can't ever remember hearing a student brag about an A. Now, I've definitely had students with attitude...good times. :)

wenchy ~ One of my favorite things about your blog is it is exactly who you are. Open, honest and sincere...like all of my favorites. No mixed signals with you, hon. Have a great week end yourself.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Kathi,

I am so happy you posted this. You know, it amazes me how many people are out there that think they’re entitled to be linked to you. If you like someone’s blog---link them…if you “don’t” like their content, then don’t link them. In a weird round-about way, the people you link have a reflection of what “you” think is good material and content. I link---because "I like"...not because they linked me. I comment, if I like the content...not because they commented on mine.

The blog etiquette has me puzzled too. I can understand visiting your friend’s blog who is a loyal reader of your blog- and exchanging comments. The sad thing about blogging is, sometimes you feel pressured to comment, just because that person did. I do not comment, unless I like the material---or---I’m just not around. I was even tempted to disenable my comment section merely due to that fact, but decided against it, because there are such wonderful people out there that you can meet; talented writers and people who have amazing minds. I love it.

I’m not impressed with erotica. I think it’s a cheap form and excuse to ‘cyber’ in a weird way. Most of it is smut if you ask me—because these writers are ‘new’, and basically going on their sexual instinct to write the nastiest stuff. It’s not my cup of tea.

There are blogs that are so narcissistically written, that I automatically tune out. I also tune out to those people who are too lazy to capitalize their letters before each sentence. You know what I mean. I'm not saying I'm a great writer---AT ALL---I just prefer well written ones---(just my opinion and taste)...

I’ve always admired your writing and all your stories that you shared with us. Your stories always relate to people—and you make others included. Kathi---there are editors out there that are blogging----that don’t come close to your writing.

Thanks for sharing your life with us…Love you!!! xxoo

10:46 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

Noticing I am not in your favorites...and crying myself into oblivion. LOL. Love your writing style...down to earth intelligence combined with folksy charm...nice.

11:57 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ you, my friend, are biased cause you love me. But to the rest of your post, we're nearly always of the same mind, you and I.
Love you too

caually me ~ You're lucky I love you in spite of your being an idiot. Of course you're on my favorites lists, you goofball.
Oh, and thanks for the compliment, I think. What exactly is "folksy charm" anyway.


TO ALL: Just because your name isn't in my favorites doesn't mean I don't enjoy your blog. There are many I've come to visit regulary coming from other peoples blogs, and I just haven't gotten names up yet.

1:18 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

Great post...I've actually had people question who I have linked because some of them seem to 'be out of charactor' for me...like anyone really knows me any way....lol

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
1961 cadillac hearse 1959 cadillac convertible sale Xenical in virginia How does work generic tenuate guitars cadillacs mp3

6:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home