.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, January 02, 2006

A few of my favorite things

I've read some great blogs the last couple days. The new 2006 postings. Some great stuff. All kinds of soulful, intellectual, emotional, religious and political stuff. I want to write something, but I've gotta be honest here...I've got nothing. Especially compared to my blog friends that I've read recently. I've got to get lesser quality friends.

Nah, I'm just joshing with y'all. I love my friends, and I wouldn't trade them for anyone or anything. Well, I might trade tom for a million dollars and a kitten, but that's only because he has such poor taste in music.

Sooo, I've been thinking about what I liked about 2005 and what I'd like for 2006. Because of my memory impairment, I can't remember most of 2005. But here's what I can remember and what I'm grateful for:

The Kavanagh's ~ I'm starting with them because we'd just met them in November of 2004 on a cruise and Casey started dating Kayliegh Kavanagh. We fell in love with Kayliegh, and her mother, Kathleen, became a good friend of mine. I usually hate talking on the phone, and I'm not fond of people in general, but Kathleen always made me forget all that. I'm thankful for the Kavanaghs.

My friends; Katy, Mac and Terri ~ Best of friends, know all my secrets, have kept all my secrets and love me in spite of my secrets.

Casey got his drivers license ~ All my life (more like all my kids lives) I'd thought I'd be a nervous wreck when it came to my boys driving. I use to joke about stressing the benefits of riding a bike or mass transportation. But, by the grace of God, when it came time for Casey to start taking drivers ed classes, I had such peace. And except for the first day he drove to school (the first day of his junior year when I just drove by the school to make sure he'd made it okay), I've never had that first fear of his driving.

My job ~ Of all the years of being a substitute teacher, I've nearly always worked at the high school (grades 10 ~ 12). This year, Charlie's first year in high school (9th grade), I've had nearly every job at the Lowery freshman center. This is a big deal because Charlie has had a few problems in school, mostly for holding up for other kids (smaller kids, Hispanic kids...whatever). It's always made it hard for us to discipline Charlie, even though the school would hold him accountable for a no tolerance policy. In 2005 (when Charlie was in the 8th grade) he held up for a kid that was being pushed around...which ended up with himself getting pushed around. After he was hit, he hit back and a fight ensued and Charlie kicked this kids' butt. The no tolerance policy made it a police affair. Charlie is an honest kid, admitted to what he had done when asked, because it was in a football locker room and there were no teachers or coaches around. When he was asked what happened....he told the truth. We were given the choice of paying a fine and his taking anger management courses or going to court. The parents of the other boy, who had started it, chose paying the fine and going to classes so as not to have a record. We went to court. No one, not a teacher, coach or student, would come to court to testify against Charlie and the entire thing was dismissed. It taught Charlie a valuable lesson. Make sure what you stand up for is worth paying the consequences for. I don't think he'd changed a thing, and neither would we. We've always been proud of his moral compass. Working at his school this past year, his freshman year, has let me get to know his teachers and the office staff better. Somehow, their knowing me has helped them to understand Charlie a little bit better too. We share the same personality and sense of humor.

Mark's health ~ Although he started treatment in 2005 for Hepatitis C, we also got the best of news towards his results in 2005. For those who don't go that far back in my blog, Mark has had Hepatitis C since birth (we think), and joined an experimental study in 2005. After a 6 month check up, his viral count had gone down from 600,000 to under TEN. Not 10,000...I mean 10. They can't account for it, but we're blessed by it! At the second check up a month ago, it was still under 10. Thank you, Jesus.

Pat ~ Though I lost my mother in 1991, God brought Pat into my life via my father. Pat became a loving friend, filled a part of the hole my mother left in my heart and filled her spot as my kids grandmother. I'm thankful for her every single day.

Charlie's activities ~ For the first time ever, Charlie has found things that really interested him, wrestling and playing the guitar. He'd never done either before and picked up both quickly. He has amazed us with his guitar ability and his wrestling ability, too.

My blogging buddies ~ Though I've met a few that I enjoyed at the beginning and came to realize that their egos were just too big to fit into my schedule, there are many that I have came to honestly love and care for. I don't doubt that they know who they are because I'm honest with my feelings. I do want to acknowledge deb, who I consider a friend with every fiber of my being.

Our finances ~ By the grace of God, and Marks diligence, they are better than ever. Though we are far from rich (by the world's standards) we are better off than ever before. In our 21 years together, we've known financial despair, bankruptcy, foreclosure and having a baby (Charlie) without any insurance (sadly, these were all related to one another). So, we know what hard times are. I'm thankful that those hard times are a memory, and I'm grateful that it makes me aware of how blessed we are.

My Mom-in-law ~ We call her MamaCita. I use to be scared of her, then I felt inadequate around her. Then I let her into my life and I got to know and love her. She's one of my best friends, and the sweetest person I know.

And...for 2006? I'd like to know God better, to serve and share Him more. I'd like to be a better wife, mother and friend. I'd like to listen more and speak less. I'd like to make better use of my talents and less use of my laziness.
I'd like for Shawn to find his heart's desire (and to trust me more); for Wes to find White Devil; for Thomas, dzer and Mike to find real love with someone who would appreciate them for the great men they are; for Jerry to always have joy in all areas of his life; for Jan to have the life she wants with Bob; for kellie to have the life she's planning with J.; for sweet_hizzle to never change; for leesa to always have the courage to be her wonderful self; for deb to always follow her heart; for Nikki to get what she wants *wink*; for sable to find a forum to have his voice heard around the world; for stacy~d to always be a success; for tom to become a household name that people are more than willing to part with their money to see; for my cyber twin, tracie, to have a house she can run around naked in and a life where she smiles and laughs every single day; for wenchy to be surrounded by love and joy; for shannon to get out of that chair and chase greg around for awhile; for clay's success to continue and grow; for georgia_peach to never, ever, lose her voice; and for grace to find more self assurance (this is a joke, she's a secure and strong young woman!) and keep her mind focused on her goals.
For me, I'm thankful and blessed to have had all of you in my 2005 and hopeful to know you more in 2006.
I love you all.

30 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

You're blessed with good friends and a loving family. What more can you ask for? Finances good? That is terrific! I wish I could say that right about now---especially after the Christmas rush.

I'm grateful that I got a chance to know you through this blogworld---you're a wonderful person with a lot to offer the world. Just by you blogging- you help other people whether you know this or not.

I absolutely love you- for the person you are Kathi!

Happy New Year! xxoo!!!!

7:40 PM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

Poor taste in music?????? Have you seen my profile??? Agghhh. You know, my pals are the best. Nuts, but the best nonetheless.

10:25 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ love you too, sugar pie, honey bunch!

chrissie ~ thanks, wish the same for you!

tom ~ I, too, love the blues and jazz...always have and always will. In fact, read my profile, my music taste runs the full spectrum. But, my sweet narrow music eared friend, you should never have thrown the first stone at me. LOVE YA!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Hasan Mubarak said...

It seems that 2005 was quite an eventful year for you and your loved ones...

A very dear one to me has been having Hepatitus C. Hope we keep this disease in control. Amen!

It must have been a lovely feeling to be a primary teacher! Wish you all the best for high school...

And it's never too late to wish you a very Happy New Year!!!

3:18 AM  
Blogger BigBill said...

Hope 2006 will be all the best for you... Big Bill

4:05 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

you have a great list here, darlin' ... and thanks for your wishes ... perhaps I will find someone who likes long, thick fingers ;)

5:40 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

YOu are the best Kathi and I wish for you all the best this New Year

6:34 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

hasan ~ thanks for all your kind words and good wishes. Same to you, loved the pictures on your blog.

big bill ~ thanks, same to you.

dzer ~ Here's hopin!

jan ~ you are the best...and loved your voice blogging. Good job, hon!!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

Class is not just a word with you, it's a way of life. Love is not a vocation for you, but an avocation. Anyone in your life has to be better off for it.

1:48 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

sweet hizzle ~ I love you just the way you are!!

casually me ~ Darlin', if I weren't married, I'd be on your doorstep. That's the sweetest, kindest and most thoughtful thing anyone has ever said to me. THANK YOU.

2:26 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

Whjat a sweet post...I'm glad we've met (somewhat) through blogland. You're a sweetheart!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Aw, Kat I think I'm gonna cry. Thanks for throwing me the love, Blondie. This is going to be your year too! Oh, I tell you this was a treat to be mentioned. It's the nice things like this that make people feel good. You wishing me success means all the world to me. I wish you all the happiness and love in the world too. Now, I gotta go get some tissue. Why you make me cry, Blondie? LOL!

3:13 PM  
Blogger MZPEACH said...

Why do I always cry when I come over here!! Well, almost. But you are so kind, sincere, honest, uplifting, inspirational and sweet. It's like Blogging Oprah. It's ridiculous. I am glad to see that 2005 was good to you. Truly I am. Big hugs!
And a small shout out to one of your babies who I am sure you miss dearly. Falco. I'm sure she is in cat haven purring away.
R.I.P. Falco 2005.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

*Getting the prozac out for everyone to share with*

Kath--- love you!!!!

6:13 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

Mike ~ hon, I'm glad I met you too. Thanks.

stacy d ~ I cracked up laughing at you calling me blondie...only a few people do that. Thanks for being so sweet. Of course I'd mention you!! You've got such a great road paved out ahead of you!

gp ~ I'm trying to figure out what I said to make anyone cry? I can't believe all the nice things you said about me...sure you've commented on the right blog, darlin? Thanks, I honestly can't tell you how good y'all have made me feel today. But, gp, you're such an outspoken, honest, thoughtful and sincere person, I'm crazy about you. AND, THANK YOU for the mention of Falco, that exactly what I'm talking about with you.

deb ~ Two for me please... Babe, you know I love you too.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kathi - just wanted to let you know I closed my blog. I may reopen it later, but I doubt it. I'm going to focus on love, work, and my books, in that order.

Thanks for the love and support.

11:38 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

sable ~ I know you've not enjoyed blogging for a long time. I hope whatever you do makes you happy. I pray that God will give you peace.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Hey Kathi - This was such a nice entry for me because I got to read lots of little bits about your life. :o)

Thank you for the wishes. Lots.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

You blindsided all of us Kathi. I didn't expect you to end the post as you did.

Heart's desire? Hmmm!!! I'll have to think on that one. Thanks for the love Kathi.

Those were really great blessings you spoke over everyone's life. I am really touched.

Why do I feel like the fellowship in Lord of the Rings when Galadriel blesses them all before they leave her forest to complete their journey? :-)

Big hug from me to you!!!

9:08 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

wenchy ~ I don't know about pieces of my life being worth reading, but the blessings for you are genuine hon... I so want you to be happy each and every day.

storm ~ thank you. I really enjoy your blog.

shawn ~ That hug from you was one of the nicest things I've received so far this year.

TO EVERYONE ~ One thing I'm not sure y'all are getting...the blessing here was MINE for having met y'all! I'm so thankful for the friendships I've made and for being allowed insight into some wonderful people this past year. I'm really looking forward to 2006 with y'all. THANK YOU.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

What a wonderful post, Ms. Kathi. Your family, your students and your friends are better people just by knowing you. Have a wonderful 2006!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kathi, for the record, I've never been happier in my life. :)

3:22 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

leesa ~ thanks darlin, as are yours...I'M SURE! :) Hope your 2006 is amazing!

sable ~ I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. :)

4:35 PM  
Blogger MZPEACH said...

Kathi, I think it is the way you write. It's like, the reader can hear your voice. I have my own personal voice for you. And I bet it sounds like you...lol. You are so sincere and open minded. It is unbelievable. Just through blogging I have dropped a lot of stereotypes I had about white women. And I know that is silly. But I don't interact with white women on a "personal" level. Like, I don't know their thoughts or how they live and they don't know mine.
Your the Oprah of blog world (And Oprah broke down a lot of barriers herself).
So if you are a sensitive female like myself. In a sappy, "chick movie" kind of way, you are going to cry from your posts and your comments. I mean, the post about your mother.....I was boo hooing so much. I couldn't even think about posting. And as I write this, I am two seconds away from crying. Oh and btw, I have been by Wes site, and I can't believe how much I have in common with him. Crazy. Your just an all around unique individual. Not to mention you music selection that I just peeped the other day. Whoa. ..lol

5:08 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Never been happier in his life? He just wrote me a "f*ck off" email. Hmmm... something's fishy.

Anyway Kathi---- we love you!!!!!!

9:34 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

deb ~ I'm not a big fan of fish. Love you TOO!

9:37 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

gp ~ what's wrong with my music selection darlin?? Huh, huh?? So I 'listen' outside the box...what of it? LOL, I know I'm odd with my music. And I can see you and Wes being buds, did you leave him a comment? He's single you know, I'm just sayin...if things fall 'short' for you and Aaron, LOL

7:19 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Me either...I'm allergic Kath. No seafood bisque for me.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Thank you Kathi.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!
»

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home