.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Christmas Term Paper

What I Did Over My Christmas Vacation
by kfmb
Yeah, that's how it feels as I sit down to write about my last week. Remember back in school when you had to write this type of paper after a break...or Ralphie writing 'What I Want For Christmas' and he wants that dangerous weapon of mass destruction that takes that ice cycle from hell out on his first shot and breaks his glasses? Good times.
For those of you that are unaware, shame on you, we went to Keystone, Colorado for Christmas. We left Monday after the boys got out of school around noonish. This in itself was a major feat because the boys had final exams Monday and Tuesday. I, having some very decent relationships with all of the schools principles (hey, I'm a sub with personality and in high demand...go figure), was able to rearrange the kids finals so that we could leave on Monday. Only one of the teachers complained that it was an inconvenience...I laugh as I tell this, because I'd informed them that my son had the principles permission and she, for whatever reason, doubted it. She got an up close and personal visit from the principle of the high school, and I got a very sweet apology letter from her.
We drove through Oklahoma and Kansas, stopping in Kansas for the night. I've been through Oklahoma hundreds of times, but I had no idea how gorgeous Kansas was. I loved it. And cheap...dang. The room we got at...I don't know, Comfort Suites maybe? Anyway, huge room with 2 kings, great pool and steam room and that breakfast bar thing in the morning for...$60! I asked twice to make sure. Tell you what, Kansas is a far cry from Dallas!
One of the things I love about taking turns in driving (3 of us now, since Casey's 16) is getting control of the music! Mark, Casey and Charlie all like the same music...rock to heavy rock. Metallica, System of a Down... Me, oh man, they hate it when it's my turn to plug my ipod in. I have everything from Muddy Waters to Janis Joplin, from Willie Nelson to Creed, from Al Green to Kelly Clarkson (and yes, Tom...Bo Bice's entire new cd is on my ipod as well).
I'd never been to Colorado either, so I was just loving every minute of everything. I kept wanting to pull over and take pictures. Mark would say "you just took one like that" and I'm thinking 'are you kidding me???' Different spirits, I guess. I'm like a little kid in a candy store when it comes to new places. A couple of years ago I was determined we'd move to New Mexico after staying at Red River, Taos and Santa Fe. Last year, all I could think of was ways to make a living in Costa Maya after our trip to the Caribbean. This year, Lord please, find a way to relocate us to Colorado. See? I'm just a child at heart.
Our condo was gorgeous, at the base of the mountain. A 3 - 5 minute walk to the lifts. Beautiful fireplace and large balcony facing the slopes. It was a dream, honest. Only downside was that the first full day there (Wednesday) I had to take Charlie to the medical clinic. No skiing accident, well...that would be snowboarding for Charlie, he had acute bronchitis and pharangytis. Very sick kid. Poor thing. So, for most of our 6 days left there, I took care of him. He felt better, but only got back out on the slopes twice after that, and never did the night skiing. Yeah, that's one of the cool things at Keystone, they have the slopes open till 9 p.m.
Christmas eve there were fireworks on top of the mountain, right in front of us so close we could nearly touch them. Great pics too. Charlie's birthday was Christmas eve, and we'd got him a cake and went out to eat. He got a new amp for his guitars and a new distortion pedal. Happy kid.
Christmas I cooked a turkey breast and all the trimmings. Mark had insisted we go out cause he didn't want me to have to deal with it. So I went shopping while he was on the slopes one day and got all the stuff...I WANTED to cook Christmas dinner. I only really cook twice a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas. And, this past Thanksgiving we went to his mom's...so it's what I wanted. We had a wonderful Christmas. The kids were all blessed, but I've got to tell you about my favorite present....but to do so, I've got to back track.
A month or so ago I had my dog in for shots and there was a cat that was up for adoption in the vets office. His name was Maverick. About a year old, and when he'd first been adopted, whomever had taken him brought him back with his jaw shattered. Took 3 surgeries to fix it...sort of. He was fine, but his mouth would never close, he drooled a little and his tongue hung out to the side a little. I fell in love with this cat. I held him and he hugged me. I brought him home. Casey (my 16 yr. old) begged me to not keep him cause he knew his dad would be furious. I knew it too. Things aren't always happy, even in a happy home, you understand? So, I told Casey to take him back. When Mark came home, I told him about Maverick and as expected, he was a bit hostile. NO MORE ANIMALS. Okay, I can see 3 dogs and 3 cats being enough, but I don't see it as too many. Anyway, no Maverick. If you'll remember, I told y'all about my cat, Falco, dying the Monday we left for Colorado. Now, you're up to speed.
For Christmas my husband gave me a new wedding band, some turquoise (Navajo) earrings I loved, and my favorite perfume, Jadore. My favorite gift? His card. I opened it up and there was a blank check with the only writing on it being his signature and in where it said 'memo', he'd written cat adoption. On the inside of the card he wrote that he'd tried to think of what would make me happy, so he went to look for Maverick. The vet's office told him Maverick had found a good home already, so he went to Petsmart and checked the cats and kittens, but thought I'd want to find one that wanted me back...so he gave me a blank check to find myself a new cat to love. He did also write on there that if I wanted to use it for something other than a cat, that it would be okay too, LOL....hopeful thinking, love. I'm not in any hurry to get a cat, I'm not out to find a cat. Every animal I have has just 'happened' and it seemed right. When and if that happens, I'll know. What meant the most to me this Christmas is that Mark went to look for Maverick, he went to Petsmart...he wanted to fill that hole in my heart that Falco had left. He wanted to make it all better for me, and take my hurt away. That's something that even a blank check can't buy.
We left Colorado Monday morning around 6 a.m. their time (7 ours) and got home around 11:30 p.m. that night. Yup, Colorado is a day trip from Dallas! LOL, if it's gotta be, anyway. We just wanted to get home to our 3 dogs, 2 cats and our own beds. It was good coming home.

22 Comments:

Blogger Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

GOOD LORD! You ARE the travel channel!

10:31 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

Sounds like a great time...with the exception of the sick kid. Nice post!

10:56 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

greg ~ lol, am not.

mike ~ it was wonderful. Yeah, Charlie being sick sucked, but it didn't ruin it. We all had a good time. Thanks.

11:42 PM  
Blogger crallspace said...

We have the same alma mater: BSU.

I was just thinking about Muncie today and how glad I am to not be there ;-)

Where in IN you from? Region rat, here.

6:40 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

crall ~ yeah? I don't have any bad memories of BSU, except for trying to get to classes against 30 mh winds at 5 below zero...other than that...all good. :)
I was born in Washington, southern IN, grew up in Greenfield, right NE of Indy and then lived in Indy for about...4 years till I moved to TX. Use to work downtown on the circle at the Federal Reserve, then worked for Fleenors (do they still have them in Indianapolis?) and bartended everywhere in Indy.
Your turn...do tell.

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, TRAVEL QUEEN!! I've never left TX since I've been here, it would be nice just to get out for while, well ive been to Oklahoma, buts that just right outside of TX, so it doesnt really count. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, sorry Charlie that you got sick, but you had fun anyway. Just wait till Charlie starts driving, where are ya'll going to end up next?? Hope you got great pictures to post.

XOXO
Abi

8:06 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

abi ~ Just to let EVERYONE know, abi also just emailed me to let me know about some cat's that need homes. :) Well, you know with Marks work, we can only take winter vacations...so... But the next one will be Casey's senior year so he's choosing and he said he'd like another cruise. With Terri's buddy passes on we can fly round trip anywhere in the US for $99, so we could take any port out. I'm kinda hoping he'll choose Alaska, but it's up to Casey.

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casey's senior trip? Not far away, little boy all grown up into a young fine man. Miss ya'll guys very much!! Miss ya Terry very much too!! Tell her I say Happy B-Day, isnt it on New Years??

XOXO
Abi

8:42 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

this was an awesome post. Your Hubby gave you the perfect gift for Christmas...his love and and understanding...you can't ask for anything more than that....can I borrow him???....(joking).

8:42 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

abi ~ yup, next year. He just got his class ring...so cool. OMG, is Terri's bday new years? I can't remember, I'll bet Mac will know.

jan ~ Catch me on the right day and you wouldn't have to borrow him, you could have him, LOL. But, hon, you and I both know you've got your own great guy.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

im pretty sure it is, Oh and tell Mac i say hello too. Damn i miss all of you guys very much, its been a while since ive seen you guys, ill stop by soon, i promise. I remember when i got my class ring, i was so excited, but back then i really didnt care about school and i think thats what pushed me to keep going to school, except for you and Terry in my hair, how would of i done it without any of ya'lls help, thanks a bunch for EVERYTHING that ya'll have done for me. love ya guys!!

xoxo
Abi

10:02 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Nice update. The card your hubby gave you was really nice.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow, the trip to Colorado sounds so beautiful. That would be my ideal vacation. A snowy scenery with a nice comfy lodge---blazing fire and hot coa coa…mmmmm….Sounds great! I never skied before, but seeing that I’m bad enough on my own two feet---the ski lodge would be plenty enough to make me happy.

Your husband is so thoughtful! Wow…can he give my girlfriend some tips? Damn! You’re very fortunate to have a husband who is thoughtful and so generous. The wedding band was so romantic, but the car and check for the cat---that was sweet!

Glad you had a great time. I’m so happy you got to take that picture of that fantastic view in Colorado for me. *wink* That was priceless my dear. Oddly enough, I’m still sportin’ that morning wood.

Love you! xxoo

12:04 PM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Welcome home. :)

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwe, Mark is so sweet! I'm so glad you guys made it back safely and had a good time. Too bad Charlie got sick, sorry to hear that, but it all worked out. I just can't believe how fast they've grown up...Casey will be a SENIOR!! I'm gettin old! Love you guys!!

3:40 PM  
Blogger crallspace said...

Grew up in Schererville... hated it. Went to BSU where I had a great time, met some great people... but once I graduated, I couldn't leave town quick enough. It feels very dead end in Muncie when you're no longer a part of the only happening thing in town. It was a month or 2 before I lined up a job, and each day dragged on like crazy.

I got a job out here doing exactly what I went to school for. I now live in peace, amongst many like-minded people and plan to stay out here, or go farther north.

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's pharagytis? Don't you mean
laragytis?
MBB

9:07 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

sweet mbb,
No, I meant Pharyngitis...I just mispelled it, looking at the medical form now. Shouldn't you be busy working?

Gee, 1st time you've 'commented' on my blog and it's to try and correct me? Sheesh, what a husband like thing to do.

LOVE YOU HONEY

9:41 AM  
Blogger Stacy-Deanne said...

Hey, Blondie how are you? That was lovely, Kathi! Thanks for painting a picture that made me feel like I was there! I am glad you enjoyed your holidays and glad to see you back! By the way, get my book, LOL!

3:56 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

stacy D ~ Hey darlin! Thanks for the kind words. Sweetie, I do plan on getting your book...not to worry!! Just tell me how to get it autographed. Love ya!

4:18 PM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

This, as usual was agreat story and nicely written. The only thing that killed it for me of course was the thought of being trapped in a car for an eternity listening not to one song, but an entire Bo Bice album!

One thing that would make it worse is listeing to the lunatic behind the wheel singing happily laong...eh.

10:36 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

tom ~ I know you're calling me a lunatic with all the love and admiration your body can hold...yes???

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home