.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Mangled, but not forgotten

When we got to our condo in Keystone, we found that mountains have communities...that's the way I'd describe them. The Condo's at Keystone had a circle to them where the shops and cafe's lined the streets. It sometimes blocked the wind, which made it nice to walk around in. Our condo was called Expedition Station and had underground heated parking, one of my favorite things about it as I'd watch others scrape and warm up their cars in the mornings while I drank my coffee on my balcony.

All month, Mark and I have been asking each other what the other wanted for Christmas. Mark, true to form, always said 'nothing'. I, on the other hand, said I wanted something to open, just didn't know or really care what it was.


The first day we got there, we got the ski's and equipment rented, then just walked around and acquainted ourselves with our new neighborhood. There were tons of ski shops, clothing stores, cafe's and small restaurants and one jewelry store. We visited the jewelry store and, of course, it's all pretty expensive. I mean, it's a ski resort, c'mon. I'm not good at spending money on myself. Oh, don't get me wrong, I can spend major bucks on others and maybe house related things, but I can't get myself to spend money on me.

Everyday, at one time or another, I'd stop by the jewelry store. I'm sure they probably thought I was a shoplifter or something the first couple of days. I did see some gorgeous stuff...but it was more likely that I'd think 'I wonder if Charlie would wear that chain with the coyote engraved on it' (the coyote stands for humor and trickster)...or, who could I get those earrings for? I'm an emotional spending cripple. Everyday Mark would ask if I'd found something for myself yet. I'd bought lot's of tee's and sweatshirts with the local logo for the guys and friends at home. I'd bought candles for my neighbor, I'd bought shot glasses for my friends that collects them, I'd even got ball caps for people I'd probably forget to buy for so I'd have something ready to give them when I saw them and would've wished that I'd gotten them something too. But never anything for me.

Our room had a vcr instead of a dvd player (?). So I went to the nearest town, Dillion, to get a dvd player because we'd taken some dvd's we'd wanted to watch and because I'd gotten the guys the dvd game RIFF for Christmas. Actually, I made 5 trips to Dillion. One for Charlie's medicine (no pharmacy on the mountain), one for the dvd player, one for wrapping paper, one for charlie's birthday cake and some more groceries, and lastly for scissors and tape I'd forgotten to buy with the wrapping paper. Plus, I found a Target and picked up stocking stuffers and stuff for the guys too. So, I was feeling like I was spending enough money, and didn't need to spend more on something for me when there wasn't anything I saw that just shouted at me, ya know?

I did get to know the people who owned the jewelry store really well. A very sweet young couple that had an 9 month old boy that they kept in the store with them. So cute. Often times the mom would wear a papoose carrying him in front of her. I got to know a few of the locals...

Anyway, Christmas morning Mark gave me my card first. I cried, came close to sobbing, but I'll deny that. Mark is NOT the romantic type. To me, this was probably one of the most romantic things he could have done. I'm talking about actually going by the vet's office to look for Maverick (even if he'd already been adopted) and giving me a blank check to adopt a cat with. Then he gave me my perfume.

Later that evening he told me he was taking me to the jewelry store and I was getting something. I had mixed emotions on this, cause I was already so happy with what he'd given me, but what woman doesn't want to be forced to buy something in a jewelry store? So off we went. I'm glad that Mark didn't take it on himself to buy me something there because everything he'd show me, well, just wasn't me. I did get the turquoise earrings I'd eyed for days because they match very closely to a ring and necklace I'd gotten a couple of years ago in Santa Fe. Then he showed me the ring.

Here's the thing with the ring. I've not worn my wedding ring since I was pregnant with Casey, (17 years ago). I'd gained 70 lbs with Casey and they kept telling me I'd need to take off my wedding ring, but I'm a bit stubborn and I refused. One night, Mark was watching football and I was swelling (about 7 months pregnant) and my finger started throbbing. I tried soap, vasaline, everything I could think of. I was in pain and my finger was swelling around the ring. I was so embarrassed, I didn't want to tell Mark. So...I went into the garage and got the wire cutters. Yeah, I honestly did. They were the long nose pliers kind with the middle part being the wire cutters. I must've been in there for an hour and tore my finger and palm up cutting my ring off. I was in tears and just so embarrassed for Mark to know I'd had to do it, plus...I'd ruined my ring. But I was in so much pain. I walked out of the garage with my hand bleeding and crying...poor Mark. Why the man has stayed with me, I'll never know. The only time Mark has ever taken his ring off in 20 years is to rub my feet.

My mom brought me her engagement ring and my grandmothers wedding ring down from Indiana so that people wouldn't think I was pregnant and unmarried, lol. So, I've had rings I've worn...but never my ring.

So, now...back to Colorado. When Mark showed me the ring, I was an emotional wreck again. We bought the earrings and the ring and when we got outside, Mark told me that he loved me and slipped the ring on my finger. I have a wedding ring again, and forever. This was such a perfect Christmas.

When we got back to our place, I told Mark that we should have gotten him one too, so we'd once again have matching rings. He said that he'd thought about it, but I'd not mentioned it. Yes we did, we turned back around and visited the jewelry store again. The owners, Mark and I all laughed when we walked in, but we got Mark a matching ring and when we walked outside I told him I loved him, too, as I slipped the ring on his finger.

The rings are of a native american design, sterling silver band with a 14 kt gold inlay and the feather type design on and around the gold. I still have that mangled gold wedding band in my jewelry box, along side Marks perfect one now. For the first time in a long time, we have matching bands again, with aged love and a new memories behind them.

22 Comments:

Blogger Grace said...

Ohhh, that's such a sweet story! I'm glad you had such a great Christmas, you deserve it Kathi! Hope you have a great New Year's :)

12:46 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

*daubing eyes*

This is like one of those Hallmark Christmas specials! You and the hubby are too sweet and too cute.

Happy New Year, Kathi, to you and yours. *smooches*

2:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. Such a beautiful and romantic story! I am sure the rings are gorgeous- mostly because they are infused with so much love!

7:09 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

grace ~ thanks darlin, and I hope the same for you. hugs.

dzer ~ Like any couple, we have our moments. Speaking of a 'couple'...saw a couple of cheeks lately...

kellie ~ hey hon! You and J will have many of your own, and I'll be reading them too...already have read some, haven't I? The rings are very simple bands, but very gorgeous to us. :)

7:16 AM  
Blogger mikster said...

So nice to see marital bliss at it's finest. Here's to many, many more years of that for you guys.

*CHEERS*

9:33 AM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

I'm so happy for you that yo have such a wonderful loving husband. I'm sure he has his moments that you would rather not tell us about, but that's fine..as I love all these stories and don't want to know about any bad side of him.lol

is there ever going to be a day that I can visit here and read a post without crying my eyes out!!?? Do I dare say I'm highly jealous...lol I can only hope that someday I'll feel that loved. I love Bob to pieces but he's just not the "romantic" kinda guy...atleast not yet.

Thank you for always sharing your joy.

11:03 AM  
Blogger echotig said...

Hi neighbor! I got here via BigWhiteHat.

I love a romantic Christmas! I'm so happy to see others happy. Marriage gets such a bad 'rap these days!

Here's hoping you have a romantic New Year as well!

Echotig

12:48 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Wow, what a wonderful story. I love your story-like entries the best. You and hubbie are such a wonderful couple. Wishing you the best in 2006!

1:31 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

mike ~ finest? LOL, is there such a thing?? Commitment goes a long way when loves sometimes falls short.

jan ~ sheesh, hon, I'd never mean to make you cry. Trust me, like I said, Mark is NOT the romantic type at all. But he can be very selfless, thoughtful and kind, which to me is more precious than romantic. I think 'Players' have the romantic part down, which therefore, defines them 'players'...a good husband puts his wife before himself and all others (under God) for the rest of his life. I'll take that over romance every day.

leesa ~ I keep checking you for new posts, was beginning to worry about you. Thanks for your kind words and I wish the very best for you too.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Waddie G. said...

happy new year, Kathi!!!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

That was such a great story Kath! Sorry you had to go through the pain of tearing that ring off---no less the emotional pain behind it all. It must have been hard for you. {{hugs}}

Your husband seems like the most understanding man on this planet! You're very fortunate!

Love you girl!! xoxoxoxox

3:57 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

hizzle ~ good to see you're back...fixin to call out the hounds. Good to know they'd just had end up shopping with you. Love ya, sweet stuff.

4:09 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

professor ~ same to you, darlin!!

deb ~ it was really hard for me, where were you when I needed ya then? HUH??? Hugs back at'cha.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Read This said...

Where is the violence, the episode of cops with the domestic violence, the pain of a bad christmas gift? I was all jazzed up for some heartache, and all I got was a sweet story of a couple still in love after all those years. I actually loved your story, nice job.

4:57 PM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

When did this turn into an Oprah Moment?
Please tell me there was a steamy sex xcene int here somewhere? And a good sandwich...

11:15 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Happy New Years

1:26 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Oh that was just beautiful! *sniff*

8:17 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

casual ~ LOL, wrong blog babe!

tom ~ Oprah wouldn't give me the time of day, trust me. Steamy and sandwich's? Again...wrong blog. Where's that imagination of yours, my sweet artist and entertainer?

rose ~ Thank you very much, same to you.

wenchy ~ Thanks for your kind words, I spent a lot of time yesterday on your blog. I'm a fan now.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful, touching, romantic story. I like it when people make me believe in fairy tales for a little while longer.

1:22 AM  
Blogger rob said...

Beautiful Post! Have a great new year!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

That's great to hear. I was touched yet again by you and your family. You are quite the romantic. I swear I am watching when I read the last few posts of yours.

8:58 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

shawn ~ OMG, I thought that was you I saw watching us!! Love ya!

rob ~ tyvm, you too

sable ~ fairy tales? I don't think so.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home