.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, December 02, 2005

70's vs 05's

There is such a difference in today's youth and the youth of years and years and years (mine, LOL) ago. Something I read on Grahame's blog (which I'll tell you about in a bit) made me think of this.
When I was in college there were so many students who really wanted to make a difference in the world. I wasn't one of them (well, I was, but I wasn't one of them that chose to do anything about it, it interfered with my partying, drug use and one night stands). Sad to say, the actual learning didn't become important to me until it was nearly too late. Nearly. But those that had their priorities in order usually picked careers that would serve others as well as serve themselves, and usually they chose to serve others more than themselves. Good people. I recall many of my friends (yeah, go figure, the good students liked me for some reason) even chose to go into the Peace Corp after spending all that money and time for 4 years of education. I'd love to have done this...but like I said, I was just to self involved and I just couldn't seem to put anyone or anything in front of myself. But, when I stop to think about the people I knew in college, and even those in high school, I rarely remember people talking about how much money they'd make. More like what good they wanted to do, whether it was a career in non profit, medical, even technology, it was usually for the benefit of which they could serve the future population rather than if it could get them into a bigger house with several cars in the drive.

Now, as a teacher that subs, I'm in a lot of different class rooms. Sometimes I sub for a class for a day, sometimes for months. So, I get to know a lot of students, different kind of students. I've been subbing for nearly 7 years, and I've watched many of these kids grow up. On top of this, I have two teenage boys (and known all their friends) and have several friends that are now in their mid twenties that I've known since they were pre-teens. I'm not an expert on today's youth, but I'm not clueless either.

I'm not saying that today's youth are selfish in any way...don't get me wrong. I was reading a story on Charles_X's blog about his sensitivity to others in his youth and it reminded me of my Charlie. Charlie has always been a giver. And at times, it's been so frustrating. Giving your kid a present (sometimes very expensive) and seeing the brat you can't stand down the street having it a week later can infuriate you. I can remember asking him why, why would he give away something he'd wanted for so long and Charlie telling me that *brat*'s dad hadn't came home for *brat*'s birthday and all *brat* had gotten for his birthday was a cake cause *brat*'s mom didn't have any money. Charlie doesn't have a selfish bone in his body. Over the years we've gotten use to his giving his things away. Good kid, and I've known a lot of kids like him. My point is, it doesn't seem like as many of our youth plan out their future in regards as to what good they can do for others, as much as they did many (yeah...many, many) years ago.

What was it that brought me to this post today? Hmmmmm, age is a terrible thing sometimes...racking my memory here...oh yeah. It was what I read on Grahame's blog today. Enjoy:
Progress won’t happen overnight, but it’s a bit like the bloke they found on the beach after hundreds of starfish had beached themselves up on the sand. (Or stranded themselves up on the beach.) He was throwing the stranded starfish back into the water, one at a time. A bloke went up to him and asked, “Hey, what are you doing? There’s millions of them on the beach. What difference can you make?” The stranger threw another one into the water and said with confidence, “Sure made a difference to that one.”

With all due respect to today's youth (kids, teens, young adults), their life is usually a product of the example their parents (family, whatever) has set before them. With that said, I guess Charlie must take after his dad.

22 Comments:

Blogger Leesa said...

Reminds me of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Guess the name sort of led me in that direction - where Gene Wilder pulls a hair out of one of the kids, as he is singing, "If you want to change the world, there is nothing to it."

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter is a giver. She is two years old. I think it is sweet although at times I worry that she might be taken advantage of because of her personality. When we go anywhere she will hand out her toys so that others can play with them. When we went to the pumpkin patch in October she picked a pumpkin and gave it to the little girl that was in the patch with us. I have always been a giving person so I imagine that is where she gets it.

Based on what I have read on SableDawn’s blog I am sure your son takes after both of you! :-)

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know there is alittle bit of both of you in both of your children. The parents are who they really look up to and the old neighborhood gang ;)

XOXO
Abi

2:35 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Kathi: OMG, I saw this quote about a few months ago, and it is so true. Just changing ONE person's life; making a difference is the best thing in the world. We don't have to 'change the world', but we can help at least one person. That's what counts. That one person that God appointed us to. That's totally what I believe.

I love this post!

2:53 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

I've got the best people in the world on here, y'all just make me smile.

leesa ~ Can you believe I've never seen the old one? LOL.

vegan momma ~ So you can relate, huh? Makes you mad and proud at the same time. Pride wins out. :)
And, what are you talking about from over on Sables? Are you talking about me being giving to the 1/4 ratio? LOL?? If so, then yup, consider me a giver. :)

abi ~ You are the sweetest. PEOPLE, PICTURE OF ABI COMING SOON...I PROMISE!

deb ~ thanks deb, high praise from you hon! Have you visited Grahame's site? I think you'd like it very much. Check him out, he's a really decent guy.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Just Jan said...

I love the starfish story and it's so true when applied to people as well. Sometimes we don;t think we do enough when we really really want to, but if we can help just one person out there and someone else helps one and so on & so on....what a difference our world would be.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also debated Peace Corps!

Great story-
and I think that Charlie seems to have a pretty great set of parents! :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

jan ~ isn't it a cool story? OH, and thanks, I found Grahame from your site.

kellie ~ You're so sweet, thank you. How many days till J??

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arn't you the girl that has more stray animals than people living in your house?
You and Mark are great examples of kindness and generosity for the boys.
A really great movie "Pay It Forward" About a boy that for a class project plans to help three people with the hope that they in turn will help three people, and so on and so on.

10:15 PM  
Blogger mikster said...

You're raising one helluva kid there...nice to hear that kind of things about today's youth.

10:37 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

katy ~ they aren't strays! Where are you anyway? Are you home yet or still with mom??

mike ~ sometimes he tests that theory, but yeah...I think he's pretty awesome. Thanks. And thanks for the Jovi. :)

11:01 PM  
Blogger KyuBall said...

"With all due respect to today's youth (kids, teens, young adults), their life is usually a product of the example their parents (family, whatever) has set before them."

Right before the last Star Wars movie premiered, my wife was telling me about how a theater in Hollywood was selling tickets to a showing of the movie that would have members of the cast and George Lucas in attendence. She said that the tickets were going for $1000+.

No sooner did my wife finish her sentence, that my 7-year old boy looks up at me from whatever it was that he was doing and says: "Daddy, you can use my money to buy that ticket, because I know how much you like Star Wars."

Word for word, that's what he said.

He's my boy alright...I should have him paid back by April.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Keasty said...

I sure had to laugh when I read KyuBall! Gets back to the 5 Love Languages eh? Some people are into gifts...
I'm also seeing some great stuff from the youth around here. Gives me a lot of hope. They are involved in heaps of stuff for others. They tend to be very into JUSTICE and rights. The ones who run publicDOMAIN (see my Reach Out post) are something else. PTL!
Thanks for using my post Kathi.

6:40 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

kyuball ~ you're a nut, guy. Sounds like you've got one of the great ones too. Blessed, huh?

grahame ~ Lost me on the 5 love languages. Educate me please. And PTL? Again, I'm apparently an idiot...breaking news there. LOL. And no problem hon, thanks for giving me something great to share.

6:52 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

I know this is no surprise, but Charlie has great parents — both the mom and the dad.

one of the greatest things a person can do is teach and educate our youths; I don't see you only a "sub" ... I see you as a teacher, and I thank you. I tried out the teacher thing and lasted a full day, resigning at lunch LOL ... I know how tough it is; thanks again for what you do for our society, hon

*smooch*

8:31 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

I commend you for being a sub. I am very involved at both of my girl's schools. I am often asked by the staff why I don't apply to work there. My answer is always that I like having the option of saying no. I never have, but I like having the ability.

My husband is not particularly fond of my volunteerism. He doesn't get it. I have tried to explain to him that I'm trying to make a difference in the kid's (from school as well as my own) lives. There is nothing better than having several kids run up and hug you because you have done something for them. It's so cute when they say, "That's the RIF lady, or the popcorn lady, or the fundraiser lady, or the gift shop lady, etc." It depends on what hat I may be wearing that day but they always are appreciative and I feel that if more adults were involved, we would have more of them making a difference.

So, my hat's off to you Kathi, 'cause you obviously make a difference!

11:14 AM  
Blogger African girl, American world said...

I'm sure Charlie gets some of it from you. There are many parents that would march down the street to said brat's house and demand the item back and you don't do that. Charlie knows his parents wouldn't flip that bad :)

Great post and wonderful thoughts to ponder Kathi.

My husband works at an alternative school and I came home one day and his play station was gone - he gave it to one of 'his' kids. It bothered me once but now I truly see that he wants to 'save' every child he comes in contact with and I love hime more for it!

12:56 PM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

Kathi-
You listed Bo Bice. Bo Bice. And you stood by it (shaking head, eyes closed). I salute you, madam for your intestinal fortitude for I would certainly not had the stones to do something so brave.

Oh, with regard to your post; you ain't the only one who was too hung up on themselves in college. I was waay to preocupied with my own personal awesomeness to be bothered with something like altruism.

Didn't have any one-night stands, tho. Kudos.

TS

1:34 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

jen ~ you can say no as a sub darlin, it's why I sub. If it's something I don't want, or a day I don't want, I just say no. Thanks for your kind words, you make a difference too!!

hapee ~ the alternative schools are my favorite place to work. A couple of years ago, troubled classes were my specialty. Give your hubby a hug for me.

tom ~ stick around, you'll find a have some pretty big 'stones'. C'mon, tom, not one one-nighter in college?

1:51 PM  
Blogger ghartstein said...

I think it's less about progress and more about pendulum. During the Clinton years there was more of a push for social consciousness...I even saw it in students. Think back to the Reagan years...I was in High School then...I remember everyone was self-absorbed and obsessed with acquiring more stuff. It comes around and around.

2:54 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

g ~ hmmmmm, good point. Thinking back to when I was in high school, the only self-absorbed person I knew was pretty much me. I didn't really want to acquire anything though, just didn't care about much. Except for selling the boones farm outta my locker.

3:39 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

That's one of the sweetest stories I've ever heard. Kids learn by example hon, looks like he had *has* a good one in you.
Love you, Chrissie, miss you!

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home