.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Monday, November 21, 2005

I'm Back

Monday, our first day of Thanksgiving break. Yeah, we get the whole week off. Good thing about working for the school district, I get the same schedule as the kids. I still get up with Marko at 5:30 a.m., but I get to go back to bed! Gotta appreciate them hours. :)

Last week was a pretty decent week, I had theater arts for 3 days with one free period a day. Wednesday, they didn't need me so I got off early. Thursday, a sub that had been filling in for one of the spanish classes I've subbed for before, refused to sub for the 7th period again (difficult class, my favorites) so I took it for her. No problems, I took out 30 ISS forms (In School Suspension) and told them there were no first warnings. The first time they talked I would put their names on an ISS form and on a list for a parent phone call. Quietest class I ever had. So good that I gave them the last 10 minutes as a free time as long as they didn't get loud. I never yell at the kids, just set the rules up front and make sure they understand them. I've been subbing for the last 6 years, so most kids know me and know that I always follow through. Fortunately, didn't have to that class. Friday, I had a teacher storm into my theater arts class accusing a few students of being in the hall slamming his door. The kids told him they hadn't, he got in their faces, they (all boys, shoulder length hair and 6 ft. of attitude) didn't back down. Apparently, someone had been slamming the door to his dark room (yearbook) and someone had told him it had been these boys in my class. The problem with this was, no one had left my class that period. I'd given them an assignment to take a part of any Shakespearean play and use another accent rather than their own, and they could change the words as long as it meant the same thing. It was a lot of fun...anyway. When I started to interrupt this teacher, he 'dismissed' me, saying 'I know it's not your fault, you're just a sub and kids take advantage'. Yeah, uh-huh. I stepped out of the class and went to office, explained what was going on and (helps having friends in the office) they called my room, asked to speak to the teacher in a rage, and told him to come to the office immediately. We passed each other in the hall. I smiled, he didn't. They told me later that they informed him to take issues up with the house office first, never with a student in another class while that class in is session, and to never disrespect a sub again because they're so hard to keep, lol. Friday I just sat in the library and made sure everyone had passes to be in there for my free period. It's good to be me.

Saturday, Mark and Casey went to a football game and Charlie and I went to our (and by that I mean 'my') favorite Italian restaurant, Joe's Italian Bistro. Great, as always. Sunday, we just relaxed around the house after church. A really good day.

Today I've been trying to get a bit ready for Thanksgiving. Visiting my mom-in-law in West Texas. Got friends and neighbors taking care of the dogs, cats and the house. I'm looking forward to getting away.

Tonight, my sweet friend, Nikki, came by before her class and we played with our blogs a little. She always makes me smile and laugh...who wouldn't love someone like that? She taught me somethings I didn't know, and she just started blogging. I'm so slow sometimes....thankfully, though, most people don't hold it against me.

That brings me up to date, sorry I lost touch for a bit... And, NO DEB, I didn't fall asleep again. But Sable can come check if he wants. :)

8 Comments:

Blogger mikster said...

That other teacher sounds like an arrogant prick....just saying. Glad to have ya back.

8:57 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

You're the first to comment today...you get the first (((hug))) of the day!! Thanks Mike, just fixin to check out yours and everyone elses.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kathi, I just love you. And you handled that situation in school really well. Reminds me of when I was a sub when I was 24. I always liked to "bad" classes, usually it was because some teacher was a burnout.

If you get up at 5:30, no wonder you take naps! :)

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is where all the "teachers don't work that much" jokes come from.... ;-)

Enjoy it!

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awe you said I was sweet :) I had a good time too, even though it was a short time! I always enjoy our time together!!

...maybe I'll just have to come by again next Monday ;)

10:28 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

sable ~ I just love you, too! And yup, 5:30 6 days a week. Sunday I get to sleep in till 7!! But hubby rarely stays up past 9, I'm up till...well, it's 12:42 a.m. right now...

wes ~ lean in a bit closer hon, so I can slap you once again...you just never learn. LOL, c'mere, let me give you a (((hug))) ~ *slap*.

nikki ~ yup, I told Mark that you might be a regular for dinner on Mondays.

heather ~ Hon, I LOVED your blog on parents today. Muy bueno!

12:44 AM  
Blogger Wenchy said...

Hey.

I really enjoyed reading this. :)

Enjoy your break.

Btw - We do not have Thanksgiving in South Africa.

1:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kids, kids, kids! What would you do without them??? I know you can handle just about anything, now these days. You've had lots of exprience. Keep it up, I was wondering where you had disappeared to.

XOXO
~abi~

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home