.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, January 20, 2006

From Comment To Post

Tom left this as a comment on my post from yesterday, Remembering Rags. It's so much better than mine. Just another reason to love Tom.

It was July of 1999. I was just out for some air because Tracy's family was driving me crazy. I was walking down the street minding my own beeswax and contemplating all the glorious ways I could torture her family when a simultaneous convergence of events occurred with me as the apex. I saw out of the corner of my eye something low to the ground dashing out into the street coming toward me. At the same time a car full of kids was coming down the street. They saw the thing, reved up and took aim. This was one of those times when everything happens too fast to process but somewhere in your brian there's this little secretary sorting everything out for you to see. My brain processed and informed me that the thing in the street was a kitten and it was just run over by the car full of cheering teenagers. My eyes go wide, my pressure spikes and now I've gone from mad to murderous. As the car continued down the street, I noticed the animal roll out from under it. Aparently they missed. They noticed this as well and threw it in reverse. Blind with rage, I began to run into the street but to my surprise, the cat bolted across the street, right up my leg and into my arms and let out a loud "MEE-YOU!" I turn and run back to Tracy's mother's house. After taking stock we discovered a flame point female siamese kitten. Now we already had two non-cat friendly cats. We just opened the chiro office so we adopted an office cat. Now what about a name? Remember the old cartoon Gay Puree? Off the cuff I named her Mewsette. Ths was the friendliest cat you could ever imagine. She always purred, cuddled and napped with me, Trace, any of the patients. She was a gem. We took her to the vet for a check up and a few tests. They said she was about six months old and we were thrilled that she was so young, we'd have her for along time. So we go to pick her up and they hit us with it - she has feline lukemia and has at best, six months. In January 2000 we were pretty slow in the office so we had time to take her to the vet for treatment. We were sitting in the main room of the office when I see Mewsie hobble out of a treatment room and collapse. We rushed over to her and she began howling in obvious discomfort. We rushed her to the vet who basically told us it was time. He said we could wait outside but we both wanted to be there. She was slipping away painfully. We held her as he gave her the shot. We were nose to nose and in two breaths she was gone. I had never seen that before, the light going out. I have her ashes on my nightstand. I kiss it goodnight every night.

6 Comments:

Blogger Read This said...

How come no one is eating these kittens? Gessh, cat, the other white meat..have we forgotten already? Joking, I like Tom's post, but sorry was partial to the Rags story. Rags was like a kitten version of Rocky, and it gave me hope, solace, and even a little tear. Ok scratch that last part, I am way too tough for that...lol...

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something like this happened to my mom. She adopted a minature pincher from a local adoption agency a while back. She had always wanted one and finally decided to get it. It had just had puppies, so she had to wait until they were old enough to be without their mother. She visited the place every week to check on the dog and her puppies, and was so happy when she was finally able to take her home. A few months later, Little Bit (this is what she named her new friend) started having some problems. My mom took her to the vet and learned that she too had cancer, and she wasn't going to make it. When it was time, my mother cried. It was sad because she had wanted this dog for so long, and now she had to say goodbye after such a short time. She too keeps the ashes close by and thinks of her often.

9:36 AM  
Blogger kathi said...

casually me ~ I suppose he was a little like Rocky. Thanks.

nikki ~ Awwwww, wow.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Read This said...

So did that make you Burgess Meredith? Lol...I am kidding...do not want the wrath of kathi upon me. I have a feeling although I outweigh you by a couple chinese people and can lift more than most, you would still kick my ass. I had better watch myself around you.

1:25 PM  
Blogger -Tommy said...

Kath, didn't mean to steal any thunder. I don't think one story is better than the other. Anything having to do with aniomals gets to me but good. Your story struck quite the nerve and reminds me just how much I wanted to be a hitman when I was a wee lad.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn, maybe I should tell a kitten story...yeah I got one of those too.

three or four words

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home