.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Canton Trade Days / My Good Times

It was a great weekend. We left on Saturday morning and took the long route through the country, because I wanted to get some pictures this weekend. The third time I went to take a picture, my camera's viewing screen was shattered. Big heart stopping moment. The only thing I can think of is that I must have closed it between the door and the seat somehow. Needless to say, every time I saw something I wanted to take a picture of this weekend, my heart broke. I loved this camera. But smiles and road ahead, I put it out of my mind. Actually...couldn't. I ended up calling HP (it's an R707) and this is completely unbelievable...they said no problem. They'd put a new one in the mail to me and just asked me to return the old one in the new ones box. Hey, no problem. Thanks!
Terri and I stayed at the Canton on the Square Bed and Breakfast. What a wonderful place. It was one of the original old buildings on the historic square of Canton Texas. There were 5 bedrooms with 4 bathrooms, a sitting room with a couch, 3 rockers, a small entertainment center with tv and quite a few movies, and the dining area sit up with 3 tables. The entire B&B was furnished with original antiques and each bedroom was assigned a color. We were in the Green Room with 2 queen beds. Very nice and large. More than enough room for Terri and I. Breakfast on Sunday was french toast made with bread stuffed with strawberries. It was wonderful. There was also some kind of meat, which I declined, and peaches cut in half and baked with a filling of pecans, brown sugar and butter. Delicious. The second morning we were there, we had a quiche for breakfast that had salsa and artichoke hearts in it. I have the recipe, I'll post it later.
The Trade Days were maybe a couple of blocks from where we were staying and the walk, in itself, was full of history and small houses turned antique stores. Found a great set of 4 tin canisters with black lids and windows trimmed in black in the center of the tins, probably from the 50's at the latest, in one of those shops. The Trade Days was awesome...never seen anything like it. It's the largest Trade Days in the country, so that tells you something. We walked for nearly THREE days, and did NOT see it all. My favorite purchase was a very solid wooden table that was a piece of property owned by Lone Star Gas before TXU bought the company. It has the Lone Star Gas Company's metal property labels nailed into one of the legs. I love this table.
We ate at an Italian restaurant called Val's on the square. I've never been a huge fan of Italian food, but this was amazing. We also ate at the Spanish Grill while in Canton, and it was decent, but do try Val's if you're in Canton.
We met some wonderful people while we were there. The couple we met the last day, we ended up spending most of the day with...and even then we hated to leave them. It's like you meet long lost friends that you've known forever...for the first time. I hope we stay in touch with them...
We drove home a different way, but still through the country. We visited Terrell on the way home. I've never been to any of these places, but Terri was familiar with everywhere we went. So, she was able to point things out to me, give me some history...it was fun.
While I was gone, Charlie called me to tell me about his recording Rocky (his dog) singing to opera. He's always sung to opera (Rocky, not Charlie). This time Charlie recorded him and took pictures of him singing with his phone (Charlie's, not Rocky's...lol). It's nice to know that he missed me while I was gone and wanted to share something with me. Family and friends...good times.

4 Comments:

Blogger PackerPundit said...

wow back at ya ;-)

romey

2:51 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

HC: Thanks, though I doubt you read any.

Romeo: So what's the story of the poem/song?? It's gotten many well deserved comments.

Marla: Thanks, I used it. Love your stuff.

Mak: If you knew me better, you'd change your tune on his being lucky. Hey, congrats on the job!

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info anxiety disorder paxil Maternity clothes and bloomington in

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home