.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

MY LIFE AS I LIVE IT

I'm a single mom with two great kids living near Dallas, Texas. This is my life; day to day things that are probably only important to me. This is my record of my ups, my downs and the road that I've taken along the way. For whatever reason YOU'RE here, I hope you find something you can enjoy and/or relate to. God bless.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas, Texas, United States

Friday, August 26, 2005

A Woman And Her Bag

I can't believe what I just heard. A female fashion designer actually said, regarding carrying a large bag, "How much do you honestly need to carry?" Are you serious? She suggested if you have to carry a large purse, to keep a smaller purse inside it. What?? Okay, actually, I could see that if I had the time to stop and reload every time I left the house or got out of the car. But, without a doubt, I know that whatever I left in the larger bag would be something I needed. It's not so much that a larger purse can be painful to carry and damage our posture as it is that the fashion industry should come up with a bag that is more carrier friendly.
Sure, I have friends that carry smaller bags. Usually they're my bags I've bought and given up trying to carry so I give them away rather than see them sit on the top shelf of my closet. There are just things I need when I leave the house.
First, I've got to have THREE 'easy to get to' pockets for keys, sunglasses and my phone. I don't like to share those pockets because I don't want to scratch the glasses or my phone. And forget putting them in cases to protect them...takes too much time to get to them that way. I can't leave the house without my phone. I've got kids, for one reason...and friends who need me as much as I need them, at times, to do a favor. I don't go anywhere without sunglasses. Period. Then every woman needs personal 'touch up' items. I'm pretty simple, so all I take is some lip gloss, a compact and nail clippers. Occasionally, depending on where I'm going, maybe a tad more.
I, personally, have to carry a small notebook. I'm constantly making notes, and though my Day Planner has paper, I like keeping a notebook on me. Of course, there's my wallet, which is a part of my Day Planner. It has my phone book, my calendar, my cards (credit, insurance, DL...all that), my checkbook and pen, and my cash area. I need a big bag for my Day Planner because I can't go anywhere without it. I also have a spare set of keys to everything, some hand lotion, some perfume and I always have a bottle of water in my bag. Lastly, but very importantly, I carry a small bag for my ipod that the boys got me for my birthday. I honestly have this with me everywhere I go. I listen to it from the time I leave my house, in the car, into the store or wherever I'm going and back home. I love my ipod. These are my essentials. There is nothing here I could leave home without.
Now, sometimes I take my camera. I love to take pictures of the most ordinary things, and usually regret it if I don't have it, so sometimes I carry it too.
There have been a number of times (that I can count on one hand) that I have left my bag at home when my husband and I have gone somewhere. I've regretted it every time.
Some day when I see someone out with a small bag, I may just have to ask to look inside. My bag is like another limb that I can't do without. I use it nearly as much as I do my limbs...come to think of it. Why men don't cary bags, I have no idea. Probably takes a real man to carry a man bag, just like it takes a real woman to carry one.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean!!

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like we have the same bags, lol

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home